• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My Newest Project - Me !?!?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Well, figured it would be easier to start a new thread then it would be for me to individually contact all my CJ-8 friends, or junk up one of my regular build threads :thumbsup:

No way to ease into this, so here it is - I was diagnosed with testicular cancer a few weeks back. Good news, it is one of the easiest to beat cancers, like 99% survivability rate. I caught mine early, so I should be okie dokie soon.

So, that's why I haven't been working on Jeeps, been healing up, which sucks, want to be wrenching/wheeling :angry:

Anyway, not looking for sympathy or anything, just explaining why I haven't been too active. And, maybe to help other people who might, but hopefully not, have to deal with this.

I found it ironic to be diagnosed with Testicular cancer during "Pink October" breast cancer awareness month. I am not being dismissive to that type of cancer at all, just thought it was ironic :twocents: I know we concentrate on this cancer a bunch, but don't forget about your boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anyway, quick run down of my story. If you notice anything strange down there, go get it checked out ASAP, it could very well save your life :twocents: Chances are, if you do find something strange, IT WILL NOT BE CANCER. I just happened to be one of the "lucky" ones :crazy:

Friday, September 30 - After having a very minor soreness to my right testicle, and it feeling about 10% firmer then normal, I call my regular doctor. He "inspected" me on that Friday. He thought it was just an infection, but scheduled an ultrasound. VERY IMPORTANT - GET AN ULTRASOUND!!!!!

Wednesday, October 5 - I went back to my regular doctor for an ultrasound. Now, the ultrasound technicians aren't supposed to tell you anything. But, I could tell by his face something wan't quite right. My doctor calls me a few days later after talking to the radiologist. He recommends I go see a urologist.

Tuesday, October 11 - I go to the urologist. He inspects me, and says something is not right. I have another ultrasound in his office. Halfway through this ultrasound, he comes in to view the results. He tells me straight up that I most likely have a tumor, this testicle will have to be removed. He goes back to his office, the ultrasound gets finished up. After this ultrasound, I go to his office. He has already contacted Tulane Medical Center to schedule surgery immediately. I go to the hospital next door for a full CT scan and blood work after leaving the urologists office.

Wednesday, October 12 - I go to Tulane Medical Center. I meet four doctors, urologists and oncologists, etc. They tell me that the right one has to go. No big deal. Now, the left one had a small spot. They don't do biopsies on testicles, too easy to spread the cancer, if it is cancer. So, we all agree to take the left one out of my body, leave it hooked up, inspect it. If bad, remove it. If good, stick it back in.

Thursday, October 13 - Surgery. They completely remove the right one, and all of its connections. It is packed up, sent to the pathology lab. The left one is taken out, inspected. They see a spot at the top of it, in addition to the spot at the bottom. So, they cut a thin slice out of it, top to the bottom. Inspect the slice in the operating room with a microscope. They determine, to the best of their ability, it is NOT cancer. So, they sew the left one back up, reinstall it. Woke up from surgery, didn't hurt to bad, just nausea from the anesthesia.

Friday, October 14 - Thursday, October 20 -- Recovery. Well, I won't lie, the left one hurt like a mother the next day. Also, instead of stitches or staples, they glued my two 5" cuts back together. Now, they do not cut open your "sack", too high a risk to spread the cancer. So, they cut you open right below your belt line. I have a cut on each side of center, about 5" long, about 1.5" below the belt line. They actually push the testicle up and out. That was pretty sore, too. Took pain pills for two days, quit taking them on Sunday. I still hurt, bad, but did not want to take Oxy any longer then necessary. Next few days, plenty of rest/tv. Went back to work for 1/2 a day on Friday, October 21.

Monday, October 21 - Back to Tulane for inspection and Pathology Report. For me, this was the worst, waiting for this report. Good news, left one is fine. Bad news, right one did have cancer. Best news - it is Stage one, pure classic seminoma. Basically, it did not spread beyond testicle, and this type of cancer is fairly easy to beat, slow spreading.

So, now I wait, some more, which sucks. I go back to Tulane on November 16 to meet with Oncologists. We/they will decide if any more treatment is necessary. I am hoping, with the pathology reports/blood work, that they will just want to "actively monitor" me for the next few years. Basically, just a bunch of blood work/CT scans. Since all my initial tests have come back good, this is what I am hoping for. If not, I might have to get radiation, too. I am not too worried about it, either way. I am just glad to get the tumor out!!!!!!!!!!!! Once I knew it was a tumor, I wanted it out ASAP, kind of like knowing you have a bomb inside you.

Physically, I should be back to normal in a couple of months. Emotionally/mentally, I feel fine. Normally, knowing you were going to have to lose a testicle might seem like the end of the world. Once you know it has cancer, not even a choice. No regrets. Lose the testicle and live, leave it and die. That's the way I have looked at it, and that's how I feel :thumbsup:

Feel free to post up, ask any questions, or comment. Like I said, not looking for sympathy. Just explaining where I have been, and maybe this might be helpful for others. But, I pray none of you have to through this :fingerscrossed:

I would also like to say that I am 100% satisfied/happy with the work Tulane Medical Center performed. I can not recommend them enough :cheers:

I know my threads usually have pictures. I can post a picture of the ultrasound, if anyone wants :eek:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
So glad to hear you caught it early!

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, and no further complications! :cheers:

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
^^^ this. Speedy recovery and best wishes.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Wow, beat wishes to safe a "free" recovery. I lost a buddy to that ~18 years ago who was a car nut and philanthropist who was only in his 30's. First TJ I ever rode in was his.

Sent from my SM-J320P

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
I hate "oxy" :crazy: always screws me up.

Well, if you start going through jeep withdraws I can grab a plane ticket and come down there on one of my four day breaks. I can work on your jeeps while you take pics and tell me what to do :smokin: LOL

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Lots of rest and take it easy. Very happy u beat it.... In this day and age you would think we would have a pill to stop this.

sent from my flaming samsung note7

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Wow, beat wishes to safe a "free" recovery. I lost a buddy to that ~18 years ago who was a car nut and philanthropist who was only in his 30's. First TJ I ever rode in was his.

Sent from my SM-J320P

Appreciate it :cheers: My birthday was November 2, so I consider this my birthday present and midlife crisis wrapped up into one :thumbsup:

Soory to hear about your friend, my condolensces.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I hate "oxy" :crazy: always screws me up.

Well, if you start going through jeep withdraws I can grab a plane ticket and come down there on one of my four day breaks. I can work on your jeeps while you take pics and tell me what to do :smokin: LOL

Yep, the Oxy stopped up my pooper, had to get off it :eek:

Might take you up on that, still need to pull the engine out my red Scrambler for rebuild :thumbsup::cool:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Lots of rest and take it easy. Very happy u beat it.... In this day and age you would think we would have a pill to stop this.

sent from my flaming samsung note7

Appreciate it :thumbsup:

Yep, a pill would be nice. But, the good thing, removing it also pretty much guarantees success, especially caught early :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Glad you are OK. You've brought new meaning to the phrase "balls out". Would make a good license plate or bumper sticker!

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
As usual, your posts are very detailed.
I for one don't need pics this time. :eek:

Not making light of the situation. Appreciate the post to raise awareness to not let things that "don't feel right" to go unchecked.
I'm dealing with a family member now that didn't catch his "abscessed tooth" soon enough, going through treatments that are very difficult.

Anyway thanks again, and hope you have a speedy recovery.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Wow!!! Scary stuff... I'm glad you caught it early and went to the doctor. As guys, I feel we usually choose to tough it out when we really should go see someone.

Hope you get the all clear in a few weeks!!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks for sharing. And as all have mentioned, glad you caught it and hope for a full and fast recovery. And I am with you, I have no need for those anymore, so I would let them go in a heartbeat.

This story and what happened at my soccer game last night just emphasize how lucky I am . A player on the field next to us just collapsed. Heart stopped. Stopped breathing. Another player started CPR. Took a while. Last I saw, he was awake and being loaded into an ambulance.

Just makes you stop and think. Good luck, and I hope you beat it for good,

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Hope you have a speedy recovery and glad you caught it early Raymond!

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
As usual, your posts are very detailed.
I for one don't need pics this time. :eek:

Not making light of the situation. Appreciate the post to raise awareness to not let things that "don't feel right" to go unchecked.
I'm dealing with a family member now that didn't catch his "abscessed tooth" soon enough, going through treatments that are very difficult.

Anyway thanks again, and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Well said!! :cheers:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Glad your going to be ok. I probably wouldn't have noticed until it was further along. Something I'll keep in my mind. Hope for a speedy recovery and only a little jeep withdrawal.:wave:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
great attitude :thumbsup:

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Glad you caught it earlier and wishing you a speedy recovery as well. Nice that the left was okay. Here's to the small victories and keeping things positive.