• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

My old 1981 SCRAMBLER returns 25 years later

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Wow, that truck does not look like it could fit 2 sofas in it.:shrug:

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Had a great couple of days in the dunes :bacon:

Engine did great,
tires did great (really liking the STT pros)
New upper springs on the Coilovers did great.
20180527_104718.jpg20180527_104659.jpg
And a pic for effect

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I've been playing with a gopro a little bit. Here is a vidio of the front suspension on the Scrambler. This is a run up test hill through the dunes and a bit of exit road whoops.Not too exciting,.....unless you you like watching suspension work n:geek: :woohoo:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That's a awesome shot. Never seen the newer setups in motion. Thanks. What is the yellow coil in the center going up on the passenger side. Is it a air hose for the front axle?. Nice seeing how stable the front end is.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
. What is the yellow coil in the center going up on the passenger side. Is it a air hose for the front axle?

The coil hose is the vent, it goes up to a filter right under the hood. Right next to it is the braided stainless hose for the ARB.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Finally got around to flexing the Jeep with the new tires...... in between working all the time. Looks good over all. The front tires just touch the fenders. The rears need about a 1/2" trim on the fiberglass. (I didn't trim the tub when I did the flat fenders) and my engine oil cooler that is in the fender well needs to of the stand offs Shortened a 1/4".20180617_145100.jpg

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Didn't do any mods to the Scrambler this winter :crazy:
I did pull it in the shop last week to get it ready for the summer. :headbang:

I had a clunk in the front suspension somewhere.............found the bushings in my top link were wore off center. They were only one season old, which leads me to believe that the exhaust has cooked them. I put in some new inserts, and hope they make it through the season. :fingerscrossed:

While I was checking out everything. I found a loose link bolt on the rear, 2 loose tie rod ends, 2 loose drag link ends, and both lower king pin caps were loose. Not sure whats going on, I drive this thing super easy and mellow. :D However I've never had stuff come loose like this. Anyway here's a pic, because they are required. :usflag:

Oh, and while I'm at it, the front bumper is getting a little more stubby before I poke a tire :eek:20190322_181247.jpg

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
In between taking out orchard for pasture and riding the horses with the kids. I got the bumper chopped off. 20190324_162258.jpg

timothy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
baltimore
State
oh
Super easy and mellow was not what I was thinking during our ride across the dunes. More like sit down & hooooooolllllddddd ooooonnnnn ?????

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Well I let this thread fall behind ::)

Last summer I had a loose sector shaft in my steering box.....again..........They have been lasting me about 1 to 2 summers. So I did some research and found Lee Power Steering. I ended up ordering their Big bore Saginaw 808 race box. with the 3 bearing kit, tapped for hydro assist, billet cover, #35 valving and matching spline for my steering shaft.

https://leepowersteering.com/collec...saginaw-808-gearbox-14-off-road-race-vehicles

So far NO REGRETS it works great.

Other than that I have a loose joint in my top link again, Most likely because it can't handle the exhaust heat. I'm thinking about replacing that Balistic joint with a Balistic Forged Rod end with bronze inserts.

lee box.jpg

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
After Rocks and valleys my clunk in the front top link returned............again :banghead:

After some research I found that the urethane inserts melt at about 212 F. That means that the exhaust that is 3" will probably melt it, even with the wrap and heat shield. SOOO more research and I found Ballistic forged rod ends. Not cheap, but..........They have bronze inserts and should take the heat.

20200518_145810.jpg