• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Needing direction...

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Started cleaning up my engine today.
IMG_4719.jpg
Didn't take an after pic but it cleaned up nice.

Harmonic balancer needs replaced as does the timing chain. Tons of slop. IMG_4720.jpg

Those have been ordered along with new oil pan gasket and exhaust manifold and gasket. Much more cleaning to do but it's coming along. I'm not an expert mechanic so I'll welcome suggestions for anything I shouldn't overlook.

I have an exceptional amount of frame narrowing. So much so that the PO welded on angle iron to attach the transmission skid plate.
IMG_4724.jpg
The plate lines up fine on the angle iron modification but is more than 1 1/2" off if I use the factory holes. I've gone back and forth but going back to original holes is going to require a considerable amount of frame widening. Thoughts?
IMG_4723.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I'm not an expert mechanic so I'll welcome suggestions for anything I shouldn't overlook.

Have you considered the Ford Duraspark Upgrade?
(Basically replacing your existing distributor cap & rotor, plug wires, and coil with Ford high output components.)
http://www.swbbbs.freeservers.com/teamrush.htm

I did this on my '83, along with the "nutter bypass" for the Carter BBD carb, and it made a world of difference for little $.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
Started cleaning up my engine today.
View attachment 55874
Didn't take an after pic but it cleaned up nice.

Harmonic balancer needs replaced as does the timing chain. Tons of slop. View attachment 55875

Those have been ordered along with new oil pan gasket and exhaust manifold and gasket. Much more cleaning to do but it's coming along. I'm not an expert mechanic so I'll welcome suggestions for anything I shouldn't overlook.

I have an exceptional amount of frame narrowing. So much so that the PO welded on angle iron to attach the transmission skid plate.
View attachment 55876
The plate lines up fine on the angle iron modification but is more than 1 1/2" off if I use the factory holes. I've gone back and forth but going back to original holes is going to require a considerable amount of frame widening. Thoughts?
View attachment 55877

With the frame that narrow through the transmission area I would think the rear spring hangers would be off and cause your front shackles to bow out
Does that make sense?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Planning on it. Just haven't got that far. [emoji106]

Not that you need any more things to do........ :evil:

Since you are already completely apart and tore down; you might as well throw a 4.0 head and Fuel Injection!! Add 50 Hp and a whole bunch of drivability? :woot:

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
With the frame that narrow through the transmission area I would think the rear spring hangers would be off and cause your front shackles to bow out
Does that make sense?

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I might see if I can jack it apart and get it bolted down. I'm ready to drive this thing and I need to remind myself shortcuts aren't worth it.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Not that you need any more things to do........ :evil:

Since you are already completely apart and tore down; you might as well throw a 4.0 head and Fuel Injection!! Add 50 Hp and a whole bunch of drivability? :woot:

Valid point. At this stage I'm going to wait for that. And if I do it all now I won't have any future upgrades to look forward to!

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
That, and if it's like when I built mine, my wallet was already empty!!

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
So I managed to spread my frame enough today to get the factory bolt holes to line up for my transmission skid plate. I used a hi-lift jack and it was just enough. IMG_4733.jpg

Three of the six captured nuts were missing but I managed to get a nut on every bolt. Thanks JimsChopShop, this was definitely the right thing to do. IMG_4736.jpg

It eliminated one more potential rust area and I think the comment on correct allignment of the springs was very relevant.
IMG_4737.jpg

I also pulled the head on my engine. For the most part things looked good. There was a bit of marking on two cylinders but I think a hone will take care of that. PO of engine said it was using some oil but I'm hoping the hone and all new gaskets solves that issue.
IMG_4731.jpg
IMG_4732.jpg
Tomorrow I go fetch my tub, hood, and a few other parts from the painter!:bacon:

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
This was the most productive day I've had in ages! I managed to get axels and springs mounted and shocks installed. Also installed the fuel tank I ordered off Craigslist a couple months ago.
IMG_4745.jpg
I also cleaned up and painted my steering box.
IMG_4738.jpg
IMG_4747.jpg
I picked up my tub from the painter this evening and it looks perfect! Forgot to take a picture before I put it in the shed though. Great to see some real progress!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
That is awesome. Congrats!

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Looking great! Can't wait to see that beautiful brown paint!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Is this connector something I need to clean up and put on my new springs? It's on the rear springs that I took out. I'm not sure if it's original or even necessary.
ecf5ac2bef34f28892de802f9d03dde8-1.jpg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Is this connector something I need to clean up and put on my new springs? It's on the rear springs that I took out. I'm not sure if it's original or even necessary.
ecf5ac2bef34f28892de802f9d03dde8-1.jpg
That's some kind of non-original sway bar. I'd have no idea just how effective it might be. I'd pass on it.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I agree. I would think a sway bar on the rear would be a negative. More so THAT sway bar.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
You mentioned you got a few gaskets, why didn't you get a full kit (or did you?) so you could replace them all. Like fuel pump etc?