• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Needing direction...

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Didn't notice the full kit until I had ordered them one by one. I'm replacing them all anyway and the ones that I can get through my local NAPA are considerably cheaper than online due the discount I receive because of the volume of parts I buy for my business.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Here's a couple more pics from the painter. I decided to put a little bling under the hood:
IMG_4780.JPGIMG_4781.JPG

I think the VC is bad a$$!:headbang::cool::cool::cool:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Wow just painted my oil pan and doesn't look like that. Think you could eat off that or shave. Valve cover really looks good

Sent from my iPad

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
846c22d0e2854ce231a9cc12c2dba085-1.jpg

63715f6d942062b500904a5d06538e14-1.jpg

0ec3767543e879b49c8507116c4579bc-1.jpg

5a840b62b517056ccf35d1f20cfe9c06-1.jpg

Hopefully paint tomorrow.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Here is how my engine looks as of today. IMG_4808.jpg
IMG_4810.jpg
If it runs as good as it looks I'll be ecstatic.

But... I tore into my T176 and initially thought everything looked good. But then I found a piece of aluminum lodged in a gear. Turns out my cover is chipped on the underside.
IMG_4813.jpg
It won't cause it to leak but it's around a hole where one of the shifter pieces connects to the cover.
Additionally, I discovered this.
IMG_4814.jpg
It might be difficult to see but this is the second gear in from the output side of the transmission on the bottom set of gears.

The decision I have to make is look over the 5 speed I have and use it or rebuild the 4 speed. Supposedly the five ran just fine when it was pulled last spring but I'm not sure if I will like it with my 4:10 axles. I'll start pricing rebuild kits tonight but any thoughts are welcome.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
The 5 speed with OD would be better for highway driving with the 4.10 gearing, and typically a little lower first gear too.
Depends on your intended use and availability of driveshafts, clutch, bellhousing, etc.

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Pretty sure it's a T5 but I need to check. I bought it with the engine I replacing my blown one with. Originally I had the T176.

Sent from my iPad

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Seems everyone hates the T5 round here but for every day driving its fine. I have two going around without issue.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Seems everyone hates the T5 round here but for every day driving its fine. I have two going around without issue.
My T5 in the scrambler grenaded on the autobahn in Germany. Guess it didn't like the bone stock AMC 360? :(

2fcf03237816f701da55ed39f0575f31-1.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Just my experience and :twocents:

Unless you plan on driving this Scrambler really long distances on the interstate at above 65 MPH speeds, keep the T176 :twocents:

I have even ran the T176 with 33's, 4.10 gears on a few long (350 miles one way) trips, not terrible, but 65-70 is about the max speed I would want to push.

I went from a T176 to a T5, I broke three of them while driving on the interstate, 75 MPH. All of them, front gear on cluster gear, input shaft gear, completely destroyed, no other damage.

Stockish size tires, stockish gears, stockish power, the T5 should be OK. Modify any of those parameters, or all three like I did, I think you can expect trouble :twocents:

The T176 is a much stronger transmission then the T5. When you open up the T5, compare the size of all the parts. In manual transmissions, bigger is better.

As for your T176, the bottom gear with slightly chipped teeth is the reverse slider gear IIRC. I would not worry about that. If reverse worked fine before, it should be OK.

If I were you, I would find a good USED T176 cover, and then rebuild the T176. It is easy to rebuild. DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET TOP COVER OR SHIFT FORKS, they will not work correctly:twocents:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Idk spankrjs... I've had too many 176s with the shifter issue. Sucks.
The OP doesn't seem like he's going cheap... I'd probably look into a 3550 or NSG.

Sent from my SM-N930V

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Just my experience and :twocents:

Unless you plan on driving this Scrambler really long distances on the interstate at above 65 MPH speeds, keep the T176 :twocents:

I have even ran the T176 with 33's, 4.10 gears on a few long (350 miles one way) trips, not terrible, but 65-70 is about the max speed I would want to push.

I went from a T176 to a T5, I broke three of them while driving on the interstate, 75 MPH. All of them, front gear on cluster gear, input shaft gear, completely destroyed, no other damage.

Stockish size tires, stockish gears, stockish power, the T5 should be OK. Modify any of those parameters, or all three like I did, I think you can expect trouble :twocents:

The T176 is a much stronger transmission then the T5. When you open up the T5, compare the size of all the parts. In manual transmissions, bigger is better.

As for your T176, the bottom gear with slightly chipped teeth is the reverse slider gear IIRC. I would not worry about that. If reverse worked fine before, it should be OK.

If I were you, I would find a good USED T176 cover, and then rebuild the T176. It is easy to rebuild. DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET TOP COVER OR SHIFT FORKS, they will not work correctly:twocents:

I have referenced your build many, many times and your T5 problems have been in the back of my mind. Like you I'm sticking with the 258 although with Holly carb and team rush upgrade for now. 4:10 gears with 33" tires. I doubt it will ever see interstate highway.

The transmission worked just fine when I pulled it other than there was a lot of slop in it. So much so that it got stuck in reverse while the shifter was in neutral once. From then on I became intentional with my shifting throw and had no problems. My hope was that rebuilding the top end would solve this.

I need to get up to my shop today and confirm that the other transmission is in fact a T5. Maybe I have something better than the T5 but I doubt it. I spoke to the PO today and he said he had no problems with it other than it too had a sloppy shifter.

As far as rebuilding my T176 I know nothing about it but I've done a lot of things so far in this build I had never done before. (Largely due to all the great help and resources on this forum.) So if it turns out to make sense that's what I'll do.

What does the part that fits in my cover where it's chipped do? If I choose to rebuild the T176 does anyone have a cover they'd part with?

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
Idk spankrjs... I've had too many 176s with the shifter issue. Sucks.
The OP doesn't seem like he's going cheap... I'd probably look into a 3550 or NSG.

Sent from my SM-N930V

I never intended to sink as much into this thing as I have! I have a sickness where I can't do anything half way. I told my wife if it was sitting on the road for sale in the condition it will be finished at and for what I'll have wrapped up in it I wouldn't even slow down! However, I am proud of it already and I'm excited about getting it done and continuing to enjoy it!