• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Scrambler owner! YeeHaa!

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Thx Big Walton! And can I tell you how jealous I am of your Alaskan Postal. Some folks I know in Cartersville Ga picked up a fine one for a song a few months ago.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
good looking scram... not far from me......

Not far at all! Spent a lot of time in Chapin in the 80's water skiing on the lake over there (back when I was young and had hair). Great town.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Thx Big Walton! And can I tell you how jealous I am of your Alaskan Postal. Some folks I know in Cartersville Ga picked up a fine one for a song a few months ago.

Get them on here!!!

I'll buy you a beer if you do! :cheers:

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
I will! They run a site on Facebook called "Southern CJ Sales and Trade". They have several incredible CJ8s. Great folks.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
I will! They run a site on Facebook called "Southern CJ Sales and Trade". They have several incredible CJ8s. Great folks.

I've got their card in my bilfold, Jody Abbott. I've bought parts from them. Great to deal with.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
I've got their card in my bilfold, Jody Abbott. I've bought parts from them. Great to deal with.

Jody and Dawn are awesome, aren't they? I was passing through St. Augustine in July on the way back from vacation and the annual Matanzas Jeep show was going on. Jody and Dawn had their yellow CJ8 there and it won "Best in Show" I believe:

14aefbac3ffa44fb598036df139398e0_zps4bc3-1.jpg

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Wow. Not normally a fan of "the shiney" (grille overlay) as we call it but on that it looks juuust right.

Sent from my iPhone

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Wow. Not normally a fan of "the shiney" (grille overlay) as we call it but on that it looks juuust right.

Sent from my iPhone

LOL Gazzo! I'm with you on that. On the 8 that I just bought, someone along the line added the chrome overlay. That's coming off on mine! But you're right, on certain paint schemes, it looks right. I didn't have a chance to peak into this one to see if it was a Laredo model, but that chrome grille looks to be Laredo trim based on the stripe that surrounds it.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Gazzo, I fell asleep on my couch earlier tonight...big mistake,,,now it's 2:21am and I'm wide awake. But anyway, my reason for mentioning that is I'm sitting here sifting through the different threads, was looking at this one again and realized I missed your earlier post regarding the Wrangler paint. To answer your question, yes, it is two stage, as was the paint job I put on the CJ5. After having a chance to go over the Scrambler, I'm definitely going to repaint it in the next couple of months, so I'll document everything I do on here.

Let me know what I can talk you through on it! It's actually very gratifying to do on your own, and you obviously save a ton of cash. The primer and basecoat always lay on easy- where it gets tricky is the clear, and learning to really dial in your gun settings to minimize the orange peel. The good news is wet sanding will hide most of your mistakes!

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Man how bad is it when you've had that power couch nap at 7:30 then go to bed and the interior minister comes in at midnight with her iPad glow in the dark face and wakes you up then you're screwed. May as well go out and get an early start at work or on the jeep.
I was asking about two pack not two stage. TP seems the way to go these days rather than single pack enamel. Also the quality of the guns speaks volumes I understand. But how much is too much? Over here a cheap gun would be 50 bucks, mid range 200 to 400 and top shelf anywhere up to a grand. I want to visit a paint shop and watch a pro lay it down and see what good paint through. Good gun by a good tradesman looks like. My first real paying job was at a panel shop but I was young dumb and too full of Garyspecialsauce to care about what I was watching.

Sent from my iPhone

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Man how bad is it when you've had that power couch nap at 7:30 then go to bed and the interior minister comes in at midnight with her iPad glow in the dark face and wakes you up then you're screwed.
Sent from my iPhone
:rotfl::rotfl: HAAAAAA!!!

That's pretty much what happened!

So Gazzo, I had to look up "Two Pack" since I had no clue what that was! Heck, I thought you'd been in a six pack and accidentally said two pack instead of two stage. Read up on that stuff a little bit this morning. Sounds compelling! I think you need to give it a whirl on your newest project! I picked up my base coat today (AMC Oriental Red), so you should see me slinging some paint here soon...that is if the temps get out of the 90s with 100% humidity!

Speaking of heat, I just about have no desire to work on the Scrambler when it's this hot. Powdercoater missed the deadline on getting my wheels back to me (he finished them today but wasn't able to get the tires mounted) I did manage to remove the mud flaps (ha). What a nightmare. A PO somewhere along the line used slot head screws with square nuts!!!!! Worst combination of fasteners EVER:angry: I ended up grabbing my air cutoff wheel and zipping them all off. I was a tad bit puckered up doing the rears with the lovely sparks flying all around the gas tank!! :eek: After that I took my wire wheel out and started cleaning up the fenderwells a bit. I also took the chrome non-oem overlay off and polished up the grille. All temporary of course since SOON, I'll be sanding and shooting this thing.

Just tried to attach a pic but the forum is not liking my Photobucket direct link for some reason....

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Why can't you just attach using the image icon/button? Assuming of course you are using your phone.

Sent from my iPhone

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
:shrug: that's what I was using. Kept saying something about an incorrect .GIF extension. Oh well, better pics coming on Thursday when the "new" wheels go on.

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Got the wheels back today from the powdercoater. They turned out even better than I expected and look so much better than the red one of the PO's had painted on them. I'll try to take a better full body "outdoor" shot; I had to do some welding on my boss' bushhog, so I ran out of daylight. The CJ5 is in the other garage spot and was blocking me from a wider angle.:rolleyes:
2B332B6581C747E9998D51F5D95BB3E9_zps9zku-1.jpg

91389499038342469015EED47B0DA984_zpszntu-1.jpg

2C4E067D61304F25BF7AAEA4BFB0B504_zpsdkzi-1.jpg

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
"she's a bad mamma jamma"

LOL! Thanks guys. I think I'm the only numbskull that puts new wheels on a Jeep before repainting the whole vehicle. :crazy: I just couldn't stand how nasty the Satan Wheels were...

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Pulled the ole cuss out of the garage to remove that one last mudflap (still can't believe the fasteners that were used). You can see I ditched my air cutoff tool for,the dremel..just worked better in those tight spots...also note the tshirt I stuffed in the gap by the gas tank...so paranoid with sparks around gas tanks!!

Also, when I went to back crank it up (it's been sitting for well over a week and a half) the battery was completely dead. Turns out the under dash courtesy lights were staying on. I got them to turn off by jiggling a wire at the lamp on the passenger side, so tomorrow I'll see if I can sort that out. Disconnected the battery for tonight.

4ee2c9895971cf35ca09a063cc5b0fd8_zps1e81-1.jpg

G McBride

Basic User
City
Centerville
State
In
Nice looking Scrambler. I just started working on an 83. Ended up scraping the body and buying a clean one from Arizona.

I am painting mine red and installing new black interior. Hope it looks as nice as yours when I am done.