• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Non-Scrambler stuff ('05 LJ, life update, etc.)

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Hey guys,

I have been pretty quiet here over the last year or two, but thought I'd check in with an update on things.

Unfortunately, I'm going through what has turned out to be a pretty nasty divorce. We tried 3 different marriage counselors over the last 8+ years (along with other things), but can't see eye-to-eye on a few BIG marital factors. I won't get into details, but Kara has made it very difficult for me to want to help her through this. There's a lot more to get through, and I just ask that you all keep us (particularly my daughters Mira {almost 9 yrs.} and Maeve {6 yrs.}) in your prayers.

I was already heading that way, but the situation has pushed me more quickly into a mode of radical simplification. I ditched having a cell phone, and will likely end up living in a yurt at some point. I'm actually very excited about purging excess "stuff" from my life, and living simply. I'll be able to do more in a few months, once the divorce is finalized.

On the Jeep front, every last one of my CJ parts has been liquidated, with the exception of a mint-condition CJ-10a grill (which will probably end up as wall art of some sort). For those who know me, you know that this is somewhat weird, given the number of CJs that have rolled through my place over the last 5 years. :)

My only Jeep is my '05 Unlimited, which has been my baby since I bought it. I store it winters to keep it out of the salt, so the mileage is kept low (currently 34K). With the original Good Year Wrangler GSA tires starting to get more slippery, it was time for some new skins. I started by adding some Teraflex front BB spacers to level out the ride height. I still have to add some 1/2" spacers to the rear, but it sits nice & level now (pic is deceiving, as it makes the front look highter). TJs/LJs are notorious for having a "rake" with the front lower than the back. It's bugged me since I drove it off the lot. I had a set of 31" x 10.5" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s installed, and REALLY like the look. I plan on wheeling it some this summer, so the trail will tell how they really do offroad.

So, I'm sorry for dropping off the face of the planet, but life happens, and priorities are priorities. Right now, the biggest one is my girls.

I hope all is well with all you "old-school" cj-8.com guys who have been family to me for many years.

Craig

Stock stance:
attachment.php

After front BB spacers:
attachment.php

With 31" x 10.5" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s:
attachment.php

Another shot of the KM2s:
attachment.php

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Craig- sorry to hear about your situation. You and your daughters will be in my prayers. Keep the faith, and eventually this will all be in the past.

Th LJ looks great. I miss my JK, bu I too had to start "simplifying' when I got laid off. It feels good, for the most part. Seems we accumulate so much "stuff' that it starts owning you instead of the other way around.

Keep us posted of your situation, and if you need any help, just ask.

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
sorry I haven't been in touch with you lately...I saw you posted on my facebook, just been uber-busy at work (which is good, I guess), and lately been busy with house problems and Audrey's 1st birthday.

You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Wish there was more that I could do or say. Your girls are strong and bright, they will get thru this, as will you and Kara.

Take care of yourself and keep looking up. Let us know if you are ever up this way and we'll have a beer or cherry bounce.

Mat and Leah (and Audrey)

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Sorry to hear the news, Craig. Hopefully everything turns out well for you and the girls. You'll be in my thoughts.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Mat - I'll keep a trip north in mind later this summer. I hope all is well with you, Leah and Audrey.

Craig

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Craig, sorry to hear about the family issues. I hope you get through them soon.

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I can only imagine what you have been going through. Rest assured, you are important to many of us and are cared for. If you ever need anything, please just ask and I will do all I can.

Now that the gushy feel good stuff is said, a Yurt would be very cool. I could get into that for a living space. Any idea how long it will last? It looks like a lot of canvas...is it decently waterproof? What kind of "foundation" will you set it on? I am honestly very interested in this...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hey Craig, sorry to hear about the continued family issues. Just keep the priorities straight and be there for the girls.

If you need a destination for a top-down drive to enjoy that rig, let me know.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Craig,
Hang in there dude. I know you know that all you have to do is ask if you need anything. There are folks within this little internet family that would go to great lengths to help a fellow scrambler buddy out. Just say the word.

We're all thinking about you and your girls.