• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Official CJ-8.com Forum Lurker Intro Thread!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
YOU ARE A PICTURE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow:

I love it! What a great place to start! I love the patina on the paint and the bed looks fantastic!

I see the rust issues, that's too bad because I think you can rescue that paint with some work. If I'd not had a few drinks already, I'd remember which thread it was...

You are officially a picture posting god from here on out :thumbsup:

Zaragor

Basic User
City
Santa Maria
State
CA
Ha ha thanks. If you can tell me which post that is it would be appreciated.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I've lurked off-and-on for several years, and even followed bigwalton's thread for a bit in 2002-2003 right after he brought his postal down from AK.

Around '84, my dad got the urge to buy one last CJ before they turned into YJs. He looked and looked and looked for a Scrambler and could NOT find one anywhere, either used or in a dealership, so he eventually picked up a new '85 CJ-7. I was with him on the test-drive, and when I turned 16, it became mine. During college on the east coast, I got the urge to have a CJ there too, and after looking at two rust-bucket CJ-8s in Utica (everywhere I poked at the frame, the screwdriver went through), I settled on less of basket-case CJ-7. Between '97 and '03, everything was replaced except the frame, fenders, hood, tailgate, dash, and transfercase. In '98 I had a line on another Scrambler when I was home for the summer, but it sold before I had a chance to look at it. Four engine blocks found their way into the 7's framerails during that six year period, starting with the 258 it came with, to a 304, 360, and finally a 401. It got a YJ tub swap and different axles. I finished my education and returned home to AK in '03, breaking in my 401 on the long drive home.

In '07, I found the eighth crack in my frame due to it originating in New England, and decided it was time for a new frame. My Scrambler lustings returned, and I looked around for CJ-8 to swap drivetrains, but they all had fundamentally the same problems: they were old rusty CJs. I promised myself in 1998 when I put on a YJ tub that I was done with old rusty CJs. (That being said, I bought a '54 CJ-3b two years ago for the next project when my Scrambler is done.) The CJ-8s that I found that looked like anything either had extensive bondo work, or VERY proud owners. I figured if I was going to spend that kind of bling, my Scrambler would be blingy too. So I ordered a TDK frame, an Aqualu tub, some new sheetmetal, and started my bulid during Christmas of 2007.

I mostly hang out on another board, and wasn't sure how the CJ-8 crowd would accept a "new" Scrambler, since I don't have one to work off of and the title/registration will never say CJ-8. That being said, I still want it to look like a Scrambler, and am keeping a traditional dash and interior. My engine is AMC (I'm saying it has the heart of an AMX), and I have Scrambler/8 emblems from Collins Brothers. Depending on how my fenders/rockers/body-color work out, I may put on Scramblers stripes as well, but as of this post, the color scheme is undecided. I figure this is still more of a "true" Scrambler than others I've seen out there with a fiberglass tub on a Chevy frame with a custom dash and no heater.

My primary bulid thread will remain on a local board in AK, but I will bump the following thread here when I update:
https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?p=198869#post198869

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome! Nice to have access to such a dream build :drool:

Realota

Legacy Registered User
City
Newman Lake
State
WA
Lurker

I have definately been a lurker. I have been enjoying this site for a few weeks now. Tons of great information and advice. I am a long time jeep lover. I bought my 1st Jeep 30 years ago - a 61 Willys pickup. About 10 years ago I bought a basket full of FC170. I've been collecting parts ever since. A couple of years ago I came across a 47 CJ2A that needed a new home. (what could I do? It followed me home.) I just got my Scrambler a few weeks ago. It was/is a great idea that just won't be kept down. It is my daily driver-commuter bought to relieve the pressure from my 97 Ram (240K and going strong).

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Nice! Welcome!

Love that it's taking the load off a 10 year newer truck :thumbsup:

No one here will complain about getting pics of the Willys, FC or flattie either ;)

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Welcome! Posting a pic in your very first post on the board wins points! :thumbsup:

jdubbya21

Legacy Registered User
City
Winchester
State
KY
back in the game....

I guess you could consider me a lurker as well. I purchased my first Jeep in 2001 and have owned 6 since. In 2002 I caught the scrambler bug and actually sold my tj so that i could purchase one. I bought the scrambler, a 1984, and held on to it until early this year even while building, buying, and selling other Jeeps as the years past. The problem was that I wanted the scrambler to be perfect so I kept sitting it aside until the money was there to fix her up right. Unfortunately when your hobbies include competition rockcrawling and rockracing, the money is never there for a side project. So I finally had to part with my scrambler earlier this year because i was heading overseas as a contractot to support some new military rockcrawlers. Well the longer I sat in Afghanistan the more i realized selling that Jeep was a huge mistake. Now I actually had the money needed to do it right but there was no Jeep to work on.

However...... like falling from heaven, another scrambler came up for sale through a mutual friend and it was a deal i simply couldnt resist( i have this weakness for Jeeps like some people do for puppy dogs). I am now the new proud owner of a 1981 Jeep cj-8 that has already been completely restored, everything powdercoated, etc. etc. I will post pics as soon as I can get home and take some since I am still on the other side of the world. Either way though, it is good to have an excuse to get on here and lurk once more... Home is in Kentucky by the way. GO CATS!!!

Josh

underdog

Basic User
City
Rush City
State
mn
Not really a lurker but new to the site and figured I would introduce myself. I am doing a frame swap and minor resto on a CJ8 for a friend of mine and have found some good information on here that have cleared up some questions I have. I am taking a 83 4cyl apart and using the frame for his narrow trac. He has a complete fiberglass body 258ci and t-18/ dana 20 combo.

With that I have a ton of parts that I do not need from the donor rig and I figured that this would be a great place to pass on CJ8 specific stuff.

I am in central MN and work for a local off road manufacturer and myself wheel a Suzuki and Grand Cherokee.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Welcome to the site! We would love to see pics of the build and we are always interested in Scrambler stuff for sale! :thumbsup:

underdog

Basic User
City
Rush City
State
mn
Where would be the proper place to advertise parts. I really don't know the Scramblers or CJ too well to now what people would need.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Where would be the proper place to advertise parts. I really don't know the Scramblers or CJ too well to now what people would need.
We have classified forums sorted by general type of item to keep things somewhat organized without having to search through tons of threads you don't care about. You can list multiple items in one thread, just try a bit to keep them in the right place so people will find them.

pfdunit138

Legacy Registered User
City
Pascoag
State
RI
I've been lurking around for at least a year, I came upon a the site while Google searching for the best place to find info to buy my first Scrambler. I always wanted a Jeep, and, being a new homeowner I really needed a pickup truck, so why not get the best of both worlds??

After tons of patient searching and research, and thanks to a third-party classified somebody posted on this site back in May, I finally found my Scrambler. 1984, 6cyl 4 speed, 59,000 original miles, in awesome condition physically and mechanically. All I've done to it thus far is install a RetroSound radio and replace the bulkhead (after I made a stupid mistake that resulted in denting the current one), and replace a bad fuel pump. Can't wait to have fun with it for many years to come. I attached a few pictures, hope they come out OK.

Great site, lots of info, great to be a member! Cheers :cheers:

Jason

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Holy cow, that's a beautiful Scrambler!! :bow:

Welcome and thanks for the pictures, I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard now. LOVE that first picture, that's magazine-worthy right there... :cheers:

dadio

Basic User
City
Winchendon
State
MA
Been lurking on here since I got my 81 Scrambler in 07. And it's been down for the past 2 years! Had the 360 rebuilt and lost all funding to keep the project going. Soo it's been sitting and waiting for me to revive it. I would like to get a new carb for it (truck avenger) and basically go through the entire Jeep to make it a safe enjoyable ride.

Mike