• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Opinion time. Seats

nib

Well-known member
Gold Member
City
Hernando
State
FL
Hey probably a question asked a million times but here goes.
Building my 8 from the ground up and trying to be pro active in my searches. I'm not a serious off roader but some good trail riding is cool and if done with some thought maybe some good traveling around the country. Just wanted to see what some of you folks like. I'm currently installing OME springs, 1" body lift and planning on Lizard skin under the tub (only) interior carpet set (Ya I know.. but give me a brake I'm retired and I'm trying to build for me and my wife /co pilot / Boss.


Thanks
 
You won't find anyone who's done more miles in a Scrambler than me on here after bringing mine back from Alaska and driving to/through every state west of the Mississippi and almost all of them east of it...

I put Bestop Trailmax Pros in mine in AK before driving it to NC. Spent many a 12-16 hour day driving around the country and never once complained about the comfort. I'm also 6'6".

There are nicer seats out there, and this was in 2002, so Bestop may have cheaped out on production since then, but I always loved those seats. So take it for what it's worth. Just my :twocents:
 
Since I wanted to keep the blue seats, I went with basically all I could find, Rugged Ridge ones. They have decent side bolsters. Kind of a Levi type material vs. the slick that the original ones had. They are taller and maybe the seat is a bit shorter in front to back depth, but I am only 5-9, so no big deal... Probably better out there, but so far we have been comfortable in them. Will find out next month when we drive back almost 900 miles in them from TX... Pic was taken at 4x4Land the other month. Top was off to make it easier for them to do the work being done.
525303329_122138177408735820_6381990802269491945_n.jpg
 
You won't find anyone who's done more miles in a Scrambler than me on here after bringing mine back from Alaska and driving to/through every state west of the Mississippi and almost all of them east of it...

I put Bestop Trailmax Pros in mine in AK before driving it to NC. Spent many a 12-16 hour day driving around the country and never once complained about the comfort. I'm also 6'6".

There are nicer seats out there, and this was in 2002, so Bestop may have cheaped out on production since then, but I always loved those seats. So take it for what it's worth. Just my :twocents:
I beg to differ LOL!!!

No opinion on currently available seats. IMO the OEM seats are hard to beat, but also hard to find. I'm a hair under 6', around 190 pounds. The old Leon Rosser seats in my red Scrambler are also super comfortable, just put a few miles on them this summer driving back/forth from MS to KY, then MS to MI.
 
You might see if you can go to a Jeep event and try out sitting in some different seats. What’s great for me might be awful for you. I have Mastercraft seats in mine, they bolted to the oem seat mounts and I really like them, your results may differ.
 
I had the BesTop Trail Max seats for a out a decade. They were fine. They got a lot of sun and got rained on a lot. But they did not last. Well, the driver side did not last. The vinyl cracked and split on the outer side on the bottom cushion. The passenger looked brand new. Do with that knowledge what you will. These were the ones that did not have the leaning back option. I replaced them with freebie racing seats from one of my son’s cars that really hug me and keep me stable when wheeling. Both have my legs rubbing the bottom of my steering wheel (non tilt).
 
Pretty sure @spankrjs has put WAAAAY more mileage on his Scrambler than @bigwalton. That being said... I have 03 TJ seats in mine, but I needed to seriously modify the factory CJ brackets/mounts to get them low enough. I love these seats. Worth it in my opinion. I've done about 25,000 miles on them in my CJ-8. Probably well over 100,000 miles on the same style seats in my previous TJs and LJ.
 
I've got the Bestop Trailmax Pro's in mine. They have been in there for 10 years, and the only damage is from a screwdriver.......But they don't get much sun or rain. I didn't want high sided race seats for getting in and out, And I wanted reclining for the way I sit. I don't do really long road trips, but I can spend all day on a trail ride and have no complaints.
 
Thanks to all. Appreciate the feed back.
 
Yeah I’m thinking the same, @spankrjs has the seat time in. Not sure which Bestop seats I have, but I’ve got probably 30 years and over 200K miles on mine. They live in the garage so that makes a big difference on life of them. Also I bought one and 1 of the seat back recliners side hand things fell off. Called the vendor and they gave me Bestops number. Called them and they sent a new seat and said keep the original. So it was a win.
 
I installed Corbeau A 4 in my xjs project and very happy with them (wife not so much, 4 point harness not her favorite). I hear some folks speak well about Corbeau Moab seats.
 
To confuse you some more I'll put my vote in for reclining YJ seats. They bolt right in. Very comfy although the vinyl will not breathe. Imo, you need some seat covers in the summer time.
 
Back
Top