• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Prices for sale, verses selling prices

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I just purchased an 81 CJ8 rust bucket. It hurt me to pay what I did, but its relative to repaired value. Crazy times I know, but really couldn't figure a fair price.
I see adds for RESTORED/REALLY NICE C8s in the 20s. also the patched up nice looking drivers for 15/16 thousand.
Are people getting these prices? If so I won't feel so bad what I had to pay for mine, which was cheapest I could find in drivable condition.
Also plan on keeping mine close to factory stock, so I'm sure end value will be less. Just trying to decide how professional and nice I need to fix up my "bundle of joy"

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
It seems like the factory stock Jeeps are worth more and the purist groups are growing in size. I do see most sellers getting close to what they are asking but once they get over 30k it just turns me away since I cannot afford to play in that group. Now oddly enough I have close to that in my Jeep now but that was over time and not a one lump sump money dump.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Thats what I'm trying to figure out, this is mostly for fun to cuss and sweat over. Really not into 4 wheeling at all surprisingly to most of you I'm sure.
So thinking I could spend 5 k in parts supplies, my labor and have 11k total in vehicle. I should be in good shape financially?
This would give me good excuse not to scimp on buying good parts, and parts that are marginal.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Jeeps seem to be one of those odd classes of collector vehicles where there are two true categories.Traditionally, the very well done restomod vehicles were worth more than the bone stock originals. This was in stark contrast to many other collector vehicle where bone stock was always worth more. It seems lately the bone stock class has been growing in value but also the well done restomod has been growing in value.

I don't know that this is necessarily unique to jeeps though as everything is growing in value right now. There is simply so much money out in the economy that it has to wind up somewhere. I see a lot of similarities between the classic car boom now and the classic car boom of the 90s. I can't help feeling that there will be a correction sooner or later.

I can really appreciate a true original CJ8 but I am a die hard resto mod a driver. Generally speaking I found that American Motors did a fairly average job of building these and they were not built all that stout. Therefore when restomodded well they are an amazing vehicle. The trick when buying a used one is to find the one that was done well. As always something done by the Budweiser Brigade will never be worth as much as a well done modification.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’d say that prices are pretty crazy right now. I think that people are spending what you described. At the top end, I have been tracking extreme resto-mods and I see them selling in the $60-75k range.

If you think it’s possible to have your Jeep in a condition that you are happy with for $11k, I think you are doing great!

And I fully understand your comment on not being into wheeling. Many years ago I was into the KOH kind of stuff- fast desert running and bashing over rocks. But now at 60, that’s not my style anymore. Both physical issues (old injuries) and owning a rare, beautiful Jeep have changed my priorities into easy trail riding and cruising to the brewery to get a beer and relax. Nothing beats pulling into the parking lot and drawing a crowd. I hope to be doing that again soon!

I thought the Scrambler you bought might be a really good deal for someone. Glad you got it and I’m looking forward to seeing your progress!

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I've purchased and sold a fair amount of Jeeps and a number of them have been Scramblers. In my experience a lot of people start out asking a high price and will usually get a dose of reality and settle for a lower sale price. I do believe we're in a bubble right now and if a buyer has the time and patience they will end up paying a reasonable price for it. As for dollars invested, you have to decide whether you're intending to resell it or keep it and enjoy it. If it's a keeper then I would suggest you spend the money needed to get it the way you want it.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Call me stupid but I’m probably 100K in my wife’s scrambler. And every single Jeep I have ever owned I end up with more into it then a brand new one sitting on a dealership lot.
Built not bought, right?

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
If you can repair the rusted panels and have it mechanically sound at 11K, you will be ahead of the game IMO.

The last few years, clean CJ's have really received traction in the market. There are 2 separate high end markets - original survivors and pro quality resto-mods (Randyzzz). I believe there is a larger market for the clean original survivors but some of the top end resto-mods will bring more $$ - just have to find the "right buyer". 15k-20k "good" drivers sell quickly. A ready to drive scrambler is always a plus - repairing one will cost and OEM parts are getting higher and scarce. There are always sellers that put a crazy price on a vehicle to see if they can get someone to bite - as in any classic used cars. As Kane mentioned, scramblers over 30k really limit the amount of buyers. Over the last 20 years, have not seen clean scrambler prices fall backward but have seen them go somewhat flat for a while. Where this market goes in the next 5-10 years vs other classics will be interesting to see.

recent Haggerty article re scramblers: https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/1981-86-jeep-cj-8-scrambler-smokin-hot/

Last edited:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
You know, I bought mine, tore it down and have been approached with a very legitimate cash offer and pushed it back. It’s not eating anything and I know it inside and out.
The price is what the markets dictate. Just look at the housing, boat, vacation home, RV trailer, motorcycle and used car values. Inflation is set to ramp up and there are going to be many many bubbles burst. I’ll keep what I built and hope to get another one to add to the garage.

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
charlotte
State
nc

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
There's an old saying, "My greatest fear is that when I die my wife sells my Jeep for how much I told her I have in it".
My Jeep, tools, and especially my guns. If she had any idea…

She actually has an idea on my Scrambler. A while back we were sorta looking at Gladiators. We found a decent deal on an Overland, and I let slip that I have more in the Scrambler than the advertised price. She didn’t seem too surprised. Her only comment was “You’re not including labor, right?”. I nodded. Over a thousand hours at $0/hr. Ouch! And still not done. I’ll be in Rubicon territory once it’s finished. But I love it.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just hand the lawyer an envelope with all the info, not to be opened until your death about those costs, and how sorry you are for not telling her before. She might curse a little but will get over it, especially when she is driving it or decides to sell it for a nice chunk.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Just hand the lawyer an envelope with all the info, not to be opened until your death about those costs, and how sorry you are for not telling her before. She might curse a little but will get over it, especially when she is driving it or decides to sell it for a nice chunk.
I actually have an inventory that I constantly update. I keep it in my safe.

Oh- I forgot about the ammo- it’s finally coming down some, but for a while that was precious metal!

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
The way to handle the tool issue is marry the daughter of a man who owned a hardware store. To my bride of 46+ years, tools are necessary expenses... :giggle: