• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

PSA: Don't mock up a tank unless you plan to put gas in it soon

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Even the brass ones fail, had to replace one in a 94 F150 around 98 or 99 as I recall. Put a replacement brass one in, and it was good till I sold the truck around 03 or 04.

(But, it has been so long that the original may have been a plastic one, dont remember. I do know the one that came out was half full of fuel.)

I also put a brass float in an 02 f250 when I cut the vent tube down to allow the tank to fill FULL faster. That one was good till I sold it in 07. (That was a great truck, would have kept it if it had been 4wd. Also helps that I had a 100 gallon tank in the bed. I could drive for a looong time between fill ups!)

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Interesting thought. I know nothing about the arts of metalurgy, but I'll consider it a potential cause. The brass one was recommended because the plastic ones are said to fail. So much for that. The sender is MTS branded.

I have a brass float on an OEM 15 gallon sender in my green Scrambler. Been in there a few years, no problems yet :shrug: IIRC, on my 20 gallon sender I am using the weird solid foam sender I found inside the "Hurricane Katrina gas tank". I figured if it was still floating after all of that, should be good to go :fingerscrossed:

I will probably be dropping the green Scrambler's 15 gallon tank soon, pretty sure I am sucking air into the fuel line somewhere. I will post up what I find :thumbsup:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Think I will hold off installing my brand new Holley intank fuel pump until I'm ready to fire up my rebuilt engine ! Curious to see what the old one looks like after about 20-25 years

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
To add insult to injury:

IMG_20191123_140719.jpg

I have no words. Literally the only thing keeping this jeep off the road. If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have none at all.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Open it up and make sure the wiper arm is on the winding
I can hear it scraping, and I did consider cracking it open but am sure MTS would cry foul on the return.

I'm going to try to call them tomorrow morning and see if I can strong arm them into overnight shipping so I can have this thing on the road by Thanksgiving.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
So in the end, this turned out to be something... Unexpected. I dropped the sender off earlier this week and the shop called to say it still wasn't working. How could that be? I had them throw it in just to get me on the road and I'd deal with it over the holiday.

Dropped the tank yesterday and took a close look at the sender. I remembered I had repositioned one wire before dropping it off, so focused there. Repositioned it to where it was after I tore into it and lo and behold it started working again.

IMG_20191129_082328.jpg

Can you see it? That wire @ the shrink wrap had rubbed on the sender frame and was grounding out. I coated it with some 2-part, but I do have another sender on the way.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
You found it. Hopefully you can send a picture to them. If good they'll send you another. Not worth them having it shipped back to them.