• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Restored Silver CJ-8 in Nashville

OutlawEd

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Hello all, I'm new here. Love Jeeps. I have a JKU Rubicon and an '84 Wagoneer now. And, have been wanting a CJ-8 for a while now. I have a deposit on one in Nashville and will be flying there tomorrow morning to check it out. I just wanted to see if anyone here "knows" this Jeep. Let me know. Thanks in advance!
https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/1953-nsh/1982-jeep-cj8-scrambler

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow! That is a beast and has all the goodies! Good luck!

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
It does look vaguely familiar to me, but I cannot remember where I've seen it before.... Stout combo for sure!

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Definitely interesting.

I wish they would give you more useful details in the description. I get that it's "rugged", but what actual specs does it have?

OutlawEd

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Thanks guys. Yeah, not a whole lot of details, but definitely enough to get me interested. 383 Stroker w/ Edlebrock intake and Sanderson headers, flowmaster dual exhaust w/ 700R4 trans. No details on the transfer case. But, has Dana 60 axles, Bilstein shocks. Nitro diff covers front and rear. Not sure of the gear ratio... Willwood brakes, painless wiring, aluminum radiator w/ elecric fans.

Anyway, I'll be checking it out in detail tomorrow. If all goes well, it's mine! But, you never know...

At a minimum, if I do buy it, I'll probably do an EFI setup on it and maybe a good coil over setup. Other than that, looks good to go!

But, I'm really curious if anyone knows of this Jeep. I did find a couple of random pictures with FL tags on it....but not really any more information.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
American SJ go for almost twice that one, or the ones I have seen on here.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
All that time and money spent and yet the most important thing the glove box door is missing....... Deal breaker if you ask me :LOL:

Agreed...its like not putting the side decals on the jeep letters or installing the tailgate hinges upside down. take a close look at what else may be misssing or shortcuts taken when you are there, thats alotta $$$$$ not to add a GBD, Dave the Sparky well said :)

OutlawEd

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll update late tomorrow or Thurs morning....flying out there early tomorrow, then back to Austin tomorrow night.
There's gotta be a reason for the glove box door! ?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Someone went to town putting this together! Yeehaa! Good luck with the purchase, are you driving it home???

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I recognize from it from being listed on Ebay currently for $58,995.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Glove box doors usually get left off or one side cut off to accomodate a roll cage. As cool as this looks, if someone were to do some serious off roading, a roll cage might come in handy. As tall as this is, probably best to keep it on flat ground. I love the look of this Scrambler, and I love the look of the stock roll bar, and in nice weather this would probably be fun to cruise around in, but test drive it at highway speeds, see how it handles, and make sure you are comfortable driving this bad a$$ looking vehicle.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Funny everyone mentioned the glove box. On one of my previous Jeeps I did not have a glove box door. I found a small stretch net piece in the junkyard and modified it to fit the CJ glovebox opening. It was actually a super handy feature in that I could use my console for secured items and the “dash cubby” for stuff I grabbed more often.

I really like the tailgate and floor storage on this one. I had often thought about doing something like that on Copper.

The more I look at this Scrambler, the more I like it. It just screams “Badass”. If I was a young guy, I’d be all over that.

OutlawEd

City
Lake Travis Hill Country
State
TX
Quick update - I bought it!

It's a super nice build. It rode very well....even much less wandering than my JKU. Very impressed.

I did find a couple of minor issues, but that simply gave me negotiating room. We settled on a price, and it's now mine.

What sucks is that during this pandemic, I was unable to get access to MY money from my bank. My plan was to just go down to a local branch in Nashville and get a cashier's check after I inspected it and made a decision....branches were open by appointment only, and none of them had an appointment available. I tried to wire online, and they limited wire transfers to $5K. I called the bank's corporate...had to wait on hold for more than 30 mins, and the guy said they would not authorize more than $20K. This should make us all think about having access to our personal money during a pandemic in the future. I know this is not an emergency...but it helps to feed my addiction, which keeps me sane!

Anyway, I gave them a personal check for the full negotiated amount to hold until I get a cashier's check from my local branch in Austin this morning and FedEx to them.

So, it should be "officially" mine by tomorrow! No time for me to drive it or haul it back to Austin. I'll get a transporter next week. I'll start an official 'introduction' thread when I have it at my property.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Quick update - I bought it!

It's a super nice build. It rode very well....even much less wandering than my JKU. Very impressed.

I did find a couple of minor issues, but that simply gave me negotiating room. We settled on a price, and it's now mine.

What sucks is that during this pandemic, I was unable to get access to MY money from my bank. My plan was to just go down to a local branch in Nashville and get a cashier's check after I inspected it and made a decision....branches were open by appointment only, and none of them had an appointment available. I tried to wire online, and they limited wire transfers to $5K. I called the bank's corporate...had to wait on hold for more than 30 mins, and the guy said they would not authorize more than $20K. This should make us all think about having access to our personal money during a pandemic in the future. I know this is not an emergency...but it helps to feed my addiction, which keeps me sane!

Anyway, I gave them a personal check for the full negotiated amount to hold until I get a cashier's check from my local branch in Austin this morning and FedEx to them.

So, it should be "officially" mine by tomorrow! No time for me to drive it or haul it back to Austin. I'll get a transporter next week. I'll start an official 'introduction' thread when I have it at my property.

Congrats... sadly the rules have definitely changed with regards to banks... $5K wire was a shock to me a few months back... the other option was/is to get the person you are sending money to routing information and add them as a person to transfer money to... then you can transfer more $$$, but still limitied, but you can just do multiple transactions.

To set that up does take time though so you have to do it a day or 2 before hand and then send a few bucks just to make sure it is good and then you can do the larger amounts.

Either way though, it takes planning ahead of time and it isn't like it used to be.
If you do it internationally... then there are a lot of charges.
Transfers also cost money per transaction, so find out from your bank how much that will be.

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
All that started back in the 70s, think Miami Vice. Back then my dad sold a house in the Caribbean and the guys showed up with cash. Many problems getting it back to here and into a bank.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Congratulations! Can’t wait to see/hear the full details! You got an awesome looking Scrambler.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ

Make sure they put it on a top row or a single row trailer. You don't want to find out the car above yours had a brake line leak a few weeks from now when your paint starts peeling! My build shop learned that one the hard way with a car shipped to Florida from AZ. Had to bring it all the way back to repaint. Also make sure it's not the last one on the trailer. My FIL learned that the hard way when a truck backed into the trailer carrying his car.