• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Rosco1974's 1985 CJ7 Project

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
This guy's getting it done out there! Looking good and can't wait for the color to go on.

Finally got some time. Self-etching is on. Have some scratches from the sander to get out. 2 coats of sandable next then the color. Possibly by next weekend.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow! That looks great!
Painted body parts sure take up a lot of room, don’t they?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
True that. Needs additional work and getting clear so I dont want to assemble. Any pointers?
Not yet. I've got a couple weeks before mine goes together. For storage- I built a door rack out of a moving dolly, thinking of doing the same for the hood and fenders.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Time to shoot the clear came and went. Paint had cured for 16 days so I prepped with 400 grit. Temperature in the 70's, low humidity and no wind. Followed all the MFG instructions. The result? First tack coat was even and dried as specified. Medium coat was smooth and looked really nice. Final coat started looking "off" so I pulled the plug. Next day there was odd haze and what looked/felt like amber color sap on the edges. Took a razor blade to flat scrape it off and figured out the clear lifted the paint.....

121213989_10218238199731100_1262429335208812428_o.jpg

All products were from the same company line. Thats sandable primer that was worked with 400 grit. UGGG!!!!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Wow. That really sucks. It was looking so good. I keep it simple. Prep it well, spray it with single stage paint, and leave it alone. Less chance for me to screw it up.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Wow. That really sucks. It was looking so good. I keep it simple. Prep it well, spray it with single stage paint, and leave it alone. Less chance for me to screw it up.

Agreed

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Time to shoot the clear came and went. Paint had cured for 16 days so I prepped with 400 grit. Temperature in the 70's, low humidity and no wind. Followed all the MFG instructions. The result? First tack coat was even and dried as specified. Medium coat was smooth and looked really nice. Final coat started looking "off" so I pulled the plug. Next day there was odd haze and what looked/felt like amber color sap on the edges. Took a razor blade to flat scrape it off and figured out the clear lifted the paint.....

View attachment 88163

All products were from the same company line. Thats sandable primer that was worked with 400 grit. UGGG!!!!
So sorry to see that. Any idea why that happened?