• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SCJEEPER'S Build to Now!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
PERFECT! :thumbsup:

It doesn't get much better than that. :bacon: :wave:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I like the doors. I never did get the can of Mustang tuch up paint sent to you. :wave:

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Well Fellas it is time to revive this old thread. I didn't figure there was any use in starting a new since Jeeps are never finished anyway. I am ashamed of the state of my Scrambler rite now! It has been dead in the yard for over a year now. Between having another kid and all my Jeep money going to that it was just neglected to the point that I almost sold it. But I couldn't make myself let it go. The biggest issue that I had was that I had a battery short on my and fried the ECU for the TBI setup. I worked and worked trying to get that mess straightened out but got really discouraged and gave up on it. I got tired of not being able to work it and not knowing what sensor had gone bad or what wire was chafed and the list goes on and on. Sooooooo.......I got rid of all that junk yard TBI crap and have steadily been going back to the carb set up. Now with new carb, fuel pump, fuel line all the way back to the tank, new vacuum lines, distributor, coil, ICM, and plug wires all that is left is to finish cleaning up the wiring. This has been a process for sure! The wiring from the TBI was a nightmare to pick apart from the factory harness on the jeep. Persistence has paid off though. I have my CJ7 parked beside the 8 for reference to make sure all the wires get hooked back up correctly so that is a big help. The crappy thing is how bad the poor thing looks sitting in the yard. IT HAS MILDEW ON IT FROM SITTING!!!! I have new to me seats that will be going in and also a third row that I will be installing as well. My step-dad bought my mom a 79' CJ7 for her 60th birthday that they just got back from the shop and it looks amazing. Unfortunately it is Gamecock Garnet (that is the actual color!). Anyway I got the entire interior out of it and will be swapping my CRAPPY Mastercraft seats that have literally disintegrated. I had such high hopes for those seats because they looked so good but they just fell apart. The other thing is how bad the hood looks. The paint that I was so proud and looked so freaking good has just not held up to the sun. The hood and tops of the fenders are so chalky its crazy. I'm going to try and cut and buff them out but I have really low expectations. The plan is to completely blow this thing apart again in a couple years and do it up rite but in the mean time I am going to drive the crap out of it when I get it running again. So now were back up to speed and I will show you guys some pictures later. New distributor is going in tonight.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Had to show you guys this picture. Had a little alternator issue this weekend and needed an extra hand in tightening it back up so I asked Jess to help and couldn't resist the photo op.
View attachment 32422

If this is the same Jeep you are talking about that sat in the yard for over a year we should all give you 20 lashes.

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Glad your back:thumbsup: Lookin forward to whats up in the next season zr:woot:

z :ZZZ:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Welcome back. (And I agree about the lashes being needed ;). )

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I will take my punishment like a man! I am truly ashamed of myself! I didn't the dizzy swapped but I did get the full hard doors on and lined up. Looks good with the hard doors and hard top. I wish I was able to get all the weather stripping on the doors replaced but that will be a project for another day. Does anyone know if you can make generic weather stripping work and not have to by the door specific variety they sell? I need it all. I'm off for the two weeks at Christmas and new year so I hope to have my butt planted in the drivers seat by the new year. Here is what has been taking up most of my time.....
image by SCJeepr, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5794.JPG
    322.4 KB · Views: 170

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Acceptable diversion! Spend the time today with them, they'll be grown and gone way to fast. I really miss my youngest son TD helping in the shop. He has 5 of his own now. I'm putting together a CJ-7 for his oldest, my favorite granddaughter. She turned 16 this week.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
It's good to see that you do have your priority's straight. A jeep can be replaced.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Welcome back! Glad to see you're back on the Jeep bandwagon and that you didn't sell! Totally understand the kid diversion. I'm experiencing it myself!

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
That Scrambler is in my nice jeep collection of photos.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Still nothing happening on the Jeep front! The weather has not been cooperating at all for Jeep work since i don't have a garage. I'm planning on setting up a Tailgate tent while I'm off for the Christmas and new year to get some work done. The rain has been miserable as of late! Hopefully I'm going to get the interior swapped out as well. My mom just got her jeep back and it turned out great. Now if she can just pick out new wheels and tires and get the exhaust work done on it. It has a mustang 302 in it for some reason but she got a good deal on it. That is why the exhaust looks so crazy.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
That is a great looking truck except for the exhaust. There's still room under there to properly run an exhaust.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Still nothing happening on the Jeep front! The weather has not been cooperating at all for Jeep work since i don't have a garage. I'm planning on setting up a Tailgate tent while I'm off for the Christmas and new year to get some work done. The rain has been miserable as of late! Hopefully I'm going to get the interior swapped out as well. My mom just got her jeep back and it turned out great. Now if she can just pick out new wheels and tires and get the exhaust work done on it. It has a mustang 302 in it for some reason but she got a good deal on it. That is why the exhaust looks so crazy.

That would look great with a nice set of restored white wagon wheels on it... just saying... oh and I have a set being completed in the new year ;)

It looks great, just take care of that exhaust situation!

cb

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
So definately made some progress over the Christmas break. Today I had fire for the first time. Still haven't gotten it to crank but we are going in the right direction. New HEI ICM install and wired up. Wiring cleaned up under the hood, now just to make it run with all the new goodies and getting the timing set correctly. New problem......while I was turning the Scrambler over getting fuel to the carb for the first time of course I killed the battery. So I fire up the CJ7 parked next to it that needed to be ran anyway and hooked the jumper cables up so I could keep working. I realized that I still had not hooked up the vacuum hose from the new dizzy to the carb so i had to make a run to the parts store. While I was gone I turn the 7 off but didn't unhook the cables. When I got back the 7 was dead. I wont do anything! I don't know what has happened! It won't even jump off from one of the other vehicles in the yard. I checked all the fuses under the dash and they were all good. The one thing that I did find was this little block that was broken attached to the inner fender. From what I have found on line it looks like some kind of resistor. My electrical knowledge is limited but could this little booger keep the entire thing from getting any power from the switch? Ignore the text I found this picture online.
Jeep1.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
So I fire up the CJ7 parked next to it that needed to be ran anyway and hooked the jumper cables up so I could keep working. I realized that I still had not hooked up the vacuum hose from the new dizzy to the carb so i had to make a run to the parts store. While I was gone I turn the 7 off but didn't unhook the cables. When I got back the 7 was dead. I wont do anything! I don't know what has happened! It won't even jump off from one of the other vehicles in the yard. I checked all the fuses under the dash and they were all good. The one thing that I did find was this little block that was broken attached to the inner fender. From what I have found on line it looks like some kind of resistor. My electrical knowledge is limited but could this little booger keep the entire thing from getting any power from the switch? Ignore the text I found this picture online.

The block in the picture looks like the old style ballast resistor that was used to limit the voltage to the coil after the engine starts and the ignition switch is in the "run" position. The coil would typically get full battery voltage when cranking.
The battery in the 7 probably ran down as it was still connected to the 8 and the batteries attempted to equalize. Have you tried just swapping a battery into it?
Does it not crank or not start? If it doesn't crank it could be a bad fusible link. I believe they may be yellow.
Anyway, if you have a fresh battery in the Jeep it will be easier to troubleshoot as fusible links can be open without any visible signs.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
When I say dead it is completely dead. It will not click, turn, wiggle, jiggle, cough or anything. Key does nothing. I hook the jumper cables to it to jump it off thinking that the battery drained while it was hooked up and even with the cables hooked up there is nothing. I have one of those ballast resistors waiting on me at the parts store.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
If that ballast resistor is broken it will not start. Get a new one at parts store. They are not expensive.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
The resistor will be in in the morning. Hopefully this will be the easy fix I need right now. Now to just get the 8 running and dialed in with the new carb set up. It spits but I still haven't got it catch and run yet.