• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
LOL, it is like the yearly polar bear plunge... trust me, there was plenty of clothing on last night, it was 0 and windy... very cold.

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Yeah was was kinda wondering about that thong also, just did not want to visualize it[emoji33]

Sent from my iPad

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
No thong I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy

Stripped tub mostly rusty barnacles

13f7112adb83ad6dbe24fa7fbd9d0223-1.jpg

cb
Sent from the garage

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
That all day Waggy beer was needed for the all day frustration

cb
Sent from the garage

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
WOW! It must be nice having a spare parts bin that would make Toledo jealous. Rock on brother.

Yup, it is what happens when you have a 2nd job buying and ripping down rusty CJ's and selling off what you don't want/need and keeping parts to do this.
I just wish I had more, those doors are junk and I don't even have a bottom hinge.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
So, got down the doors from the 7 as the other doors wouldn't fit no matter what I would do... now these doors don't fit... I am sensing a pattern.

Turns out the tub seems to be tweaked a bit. The top doesn't sit down flush on the driver side and the openings for the door aren't the same side to side.
I am off like 1/4", so I am wondering if this got hit maybe, not sure.

I am thinking that if I cut the back off and bolt it down to the frame, it will probably straighten itself out, but seeing if anyone has any other suggestions.

2cfa025abbe25ac6a6cfd4cc5dee4eb2-1.jpg

cb
Sent from the garage

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I will tell you this, this happened to me twice on Wrangler YJ tub swaps. The orange build you may remember for the Doc, the door opening was nearly 3/8" "shorter" and after he wanted hard doors on THAT tub at all costs, the solution was to trim the hard doors themselves by grinding some off each edge, then sent it to the body shop for clean up and paint......still, the gap was too close looking for my tastes, but we did get the doors to shut right in the end. Another YJ tub was like this too...but then many others haven't been....who knows...it'll drive you up a wall tho... :shrug:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
My thinking is with the b pillars rotted out on the bottom the tub has shifted and either bent down on one side and bent up on the other side.
It is like 1/4" out on the passenger and 1/4" tight on the driver... almost exactly.

I do like that all the other holes are going in and working nicely, but I am glad I tried the doors up front.
I might have another YJ tub coming in, so I can measure that one and maybe use that one and not mess with this one, but without trying the doors upfront, I would have never have known.

I kind of need doors on this too, it is going to be a truck, so doors kinda useful.

cb

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I had a problem when i cut the a pillars out to replace them on a yj. The whole cowl came in a bit. I used a bottle jack to push it back into place with 2x4s. Sidways. Then welded them in.

sent from my flaming samsung note7

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I had a problem when i cut the a pillars out to replace them on a yj. The whole cowl came in a bit. I used a bottle jack to push it back into place with 2x4s. Sidways. Then welded them in.

And where did you find new b pillars? That seems to be the latest unicorn.

cb

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
And where did you find new b pillars? That seems to be the latest unicorn.

cb

I picked these up on Craiglslist a few years back. Only set I have ever seen.

Ran me $150 plus shipping cost. (NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!)

lock pillars cj 2.jpg

lock pillars cj 1.jpg

Would be nice if someone would reproduce just the bottom third.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I picked these up on Craiglslist a few years back. Only set I have ever seen.

Ran me $150 plus shipping cost. (NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!)

View attachment 56825

View attachment 56824

Would be nice if someone would reproduce just the bottom third.

Couldn't agree more... I need like 3-4 inches of it really, but having the lower third, template to cut it out so you get that cross brace in there, etc.
Is there a part number on them?

10+ years ago I built this (my first foray into a YJ swap) :

124_2471-1.jpg

and I bought something called a "Seat Belt Striker Panel - Driver Side" for $115... it was for a YJ, but at this point, I don't care, I will take either a CJ or a YJ.

cb

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Yep thats them... i got them from jeep parts dealer in the late 90s. i think i have the newer part number home. Ill check later

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Did u see if classic could make them? Or does?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
A little fab shop in NC will do you the lower 3-4 inches. Ship me the pillars to template.

I actually found one full one today and am working on another one hopefully... if I get those 2, I can send them both down so you have the full pieces to template off of.
I will end up needing another set for the other tub at some point, I am just happy to have found 1 of these in good shape!

cb