• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

Got a few pieces cut and will start to do the pillars next.
The bulkhead ultimately won't end up being used in the bed of the truck, but it is being used here for holding the sides in place to keep the correct side to side geometry when I remove the step up piece to replace that, and then each of the b-pillars

cb

20180920_170133_resized.jpg

20180920_170622_resized.jpg
 
Awesome progress,(y)
Looking forward to seeing final product. I never did like messing with the “B” pillars. :wave:
 
Awesome progress,(y)
Looking forward to seeing final product. I never did like messing with the “B” pillars. :wave:

The new ones are YJ and are in very nice shape, but removing all the metal, then the metal from the tub and getting it in is all a big mess and very time consuming. It is needed though to give the bed strength the way I want to design it... the lower seat belt holes will end up being tie downs if I am able to do what I am thinking.

cb
 
A whole lot of retro goodness I picked up this weekend... this will be mounted on the rollbar for a very retro 80's feel!

cb

20181006_155231_resized.jpg

20181006_155332_resized.jpg


I am looking for more retro light covers though... I haven't been able to find too many.

cb
 
Finally got a few hours to play with the tub again... all set up again in the shop after the tear down of a lot of Jeeps this summer.
All good, just not a lot of time these days.

One side is ready to go back together, still some cutting and drilling needed on the other side.
I hope to get back to it tonight as it should be raining.
The weather actually cleared yesterday and was warm enough to have the garage door open, so that was a nice change.
Been very cold up here lately.

20181028_152651_resized.jpg
20181028_152656_resized.jpg
20181028_153955_resized.jpg
20181028_154004_resized.jpg
20181028_161226_resized.jpg
20181028_161445_resized.jpg
20181028_161456_resized.jpg
 
It's amazing that you've got he talent to disassemble the old sheet metal and put it back together with the new panels. Just like it is easier to do new home construction than to tear down and remodel an old house, it seems like it would be easier to buy all new panels and assemble them. But there is something about saving an old Jeep and the satisfaction you get when it's done. I wish I had your sheet metal skills.
 
It's amazing that you've got he talent to disassemble the old sheet metal and put it back together with the new panels. Just like it is easier to do new home construction than to tear down and remodel an old house, it seems like it would be easier to buy all new panels and assemble them. But there is something about saving an old Jeep and the satisfaction you get when it's done. I wish I had your sheet metal skills.

Thanks for the kind words... my hands wish they weren't attached to my body this morning, I had a small mishap with the grinder and drill (2 different times in one day)... all good, just bumps and bruises.

cb
 
A bit more progress on the other side... got the old B pillar out and new one ready to go in... worked on the back a bit as well to get the rear buttoned up and in position to stabilize it a bit more.

The rear corners will be replaced once this is flipped over and mounted to the frame so I know it is squared up and trued up.
Right now I am just trying to get the old metal off and get it stable so I can flip it over.

cb

20181029_184012_resized.jpg
20181029_185304_resized.jpg
20181029_192437_resized.jpg
 
3 nights in a row for a couple hours each... this is the most work I have gotten done in months...

So, last night cross brace stepdown and the associated brackets. This will change over the next few days as I have to extend the front area to make room for the extra bed, but I have a plan... more to come.

cb

20181030_185122_resized.jpg
20181030_185128_resized.jpg
20181030_185133_resized.jpg
20181030_185140_resized.jpg
20181030_191424_resized.jpg

The new LED lights really make everything look more cloudy in the garage... I wasn't expecting that... although there was a lot of smoke too from burning out the bolts on the brackets, so potentially that is it... we will see tomorrow night when I do more work.

cb
 
I was able to figure out the mounting for the "dual tube" rollbar that will be created to fill in the gap where the bed gets extended... then the wheel well fell off... apparently it was rusted so bad along the lip it just hung down and snapped... scared me actually... so I just cut it off, no harm no foul.

cb

20181031_160807_resized.jpg
20181031_160811_resized.jpg
20181031_160816_resized.jpg
 
Baby steps... lots of spot weld drilling and fitting and such... parts are great, just takes time.

20181101_182311_resized.jpg
20181101_182537_resized.jpg
20181101_182300_resized.jpg



And finally, the reverse under mounting system for the 2 roll bars that will be utilized when this is completed.

20181101_182319_resized.jpg

cb
 
I will need to create a custom plate to go under that and wrap around the replaced b pillar.

cb
 
Saw this today on the way to the dump... don't see many CJ's out after Nov 1st around here...

20181103_115707_resized.jpg
 
all the rust ground down and cleaned up... prepped with weldable zinc primer.

20181103_155304_resized.jpg
20181103_160332_resized.jpg

Burning in tomorrow after I sadly put away all the jeeps for a winter hibernation slumber.

cb
cb
 
Nice work ! That must really be depressing to have to put your jeeps away for the winter, but I can completely understand the situation. If I didn't have a garage to keep mine out of the rain ( 60 inches a year 2-4 inches an event ) mine would probably be a rust bucket also. This is the reason I don't have a second jeep, I only have a 1 vehicle garage. :(
 
Back
Top