• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I guess it was a filler... but it is interesting side to side... one a giant hole and one a pretty clean one.

20200130_190919_resized.jpg

20200130_190927_resized.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I have to get the Scrambler specific stuff out as well before trashing this tub... only 2 sawzall blades were harmed in the deconstruction... this stuff was paper thin and held together iwth bailing wire and bubble gum... and TENNIS BALLS!

cb

20200130_190938_resized.jpg

20200130_190946_resized.jpg

20200130_190956_resized.jpg

20200130_190854_resized.jpg

20200130_190908_resized.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Gonna pick up another parts rig on Saturday morning (1/2 a Jeep)... as it has some nice parts on it and that should be it for now... and then back to building.

Deconstruction in the winter is tough on the hands and body... was 11 degrees this morning.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
The construction of the rear of the Scrambler to keep it together is proving somewhat difficult to get it apart... cutting off pieces now... small ones... to just get it all off so I can scrap it... want to get it done by the weekend and start on the other one so I can be done with my deconstruction.

cb

20200202_174529_resized.jpg

20200202_174539_resized.jpg

20200202_174925_resized.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I was just going to ask if you "worked" this weekend. Looks like most of that thing ended up being swept up off the floor!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I picked up what is left of an "84", but it looks more like another 81 from the narrow tracks and shock towers and other 81 type features... definitely pre-82... also stopped and saw some Jeep friends and got a few goodies for the build... so that was Saturday and yesterday I put stuff away, cleaned up, and swept the floor multiple times ;)

for as paper thin as that bed is, they just took angle iron and welded it in places to make it rigid, then welded it to the muffler hanger as well as cross braces... it really is a maze of just trying to get something fixed to pass inspection.

The driveshaft is by far the most pitted of any one I have seen so far.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I finally won the battle of the welded on parts and pieces... someone took a lot of time with that frame to get it super beefy when they fixed it.
the amount of plate on it is incredible and nice welds.

I am sure it weighs 2x what it normally would.

20200203_184721_resized.jpg

A couple more nights and this should be reduced to all its parts and I can start on the other one.

20200203_184746_resized.jpg

cb

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The back crossmember/bumper? looks to be 6" C channel. Ever come across a rear sway bar?
I don’t think Scrambler’s ever came equipped with a rear sway bar. Probably wouldn’t be too hard to fabricate however.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Long night... I had bolts that fought... and she was a gusher... the anti-freeze wouldn't stop...

20200205_185021_resized.jpg

20200205_185037_resized.jpg

20200205_185658_resized.jpg

cb

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I don't envy you guys who strip and part old jeeps. It's a ton of work and most people don't realize the effort it takes to get these parts off a rusted out shell. That's why I try not to haggle on prices too much, you guys really earn it.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I don't envy you guys who strip and part old jeeps. It's a ton of work and most people don't realize the effort it takes to get these parts off a rusted out shell. That's why I try not to haggle on prices too much, you guys really earn it.

Yeah, I am reaching the end of doing this kind of stuff. I do need some of these parts to finish the truck project, but my knees and hands are hurting pretty good this morning.

I know we are supposed to be "tougher" in New England, but working in the cold just doubles down on the pain... you come in and are freezing and don't realize how many things you pulled because you were frozen... lol.

I normally try to do this work in the summer as it is warmer and more ventilation with the doors/windows open.

But you did hit the nail on the head... it takes a lot of time/effort to do this even with modern tools... the rust on some of these things just needs to be cut out and the prices on blades/discs aren't getting any cheaper.

Old man rant off ;)

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Scrambler teardown complete onto the 81 cj7

20200207_192745.jpg

Also spent the night packing up FedEx items