• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
For quite a while now, I've had trouble visualizing why the Rock-Hard rear hoop wouldn't fit in the CJ10 cab. Now, seeing how the tops fit (or don't fit) on the tub, it's pretty clear.

I like the look of the metal top better. It has more of a Willys vibe to it.

Either way, this is really a fantastic build, and I'm glad you're sharing it with us! :thumbsup:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
For the cage? I thought the tub was good to go short of paint, but I just likely forgot what was left.

Tub repairs:

1) The bottom feet need welded nuts on the bottom and inside the backing area so when reassembly time comes, use torx bolts there. I spent the time to do the seat belts and their mounts, so I want it to be more consistent.
2) The back panel was cut out and needs to be replaced on the top rail edge as someone hammered the heck out of it to fit whateve they were doing.
3) 2 of the body mounts on the driver side need to be lowered 1/2"
4) The tranny opening needs to be finished up and a piece welded to it to look more factory... they really did a bad job on the opening
5) The cage needs final welding all around and sanding

The last piece of the tub puzzle is rocker trim that I want to be able to work on this at a lower level as it will be a puzzle to put it together.

Once all that is done, get it all reinstalled and top on and I can move onto the doors and figuring out the insert piece for the square/rounded area.

After that, the tub portion is done as is the cage/top.

Then the bed needs some small repairs and a little welding on the frame and I should be good to put it all back together.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I had some extra "feet" lying around from the bottom of a CJ rollbar, so I used them to tack nuts to the bottom and then rivnuts the top since I don't have access to the back due to the closed in panel.

20200217_160442_resized.jpg

20200217_160449_resized.jpg

20200217_160459_resized.jpg

20200217_162739_resized.jpg

20200217_162746_resized.jpg

20200217_171419_resized.jpg

20200217_171430_resized.jpg

Did this "need" to be done... no... but I can't stand taking apart Jeeps that someone else worked on and have bolts from underneath and not having long enough arms to reach around and get to the top and bottom.

Also, the stock torx bolts look better even though they are a pain to get out... but I will anti-seize these when assembling.

So, the floor now has all the bolts needed for the seat belts and the rollbar with underside welded nuts/plates to ensure nothing will go anywhere... this mimics what factory setup would be like... some of the holes for drainage were finished up as well.

Next up, the back panel piece.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I didn't realize how stretched the metal was on the back piece and how hard this was hit at some point... so I had to go a bit further into the metal for replacement cuts and I had to stretch the door opening on the driver side to get it mostly leveled out.

20200217_171438_resized.jpg

20200217_174035_resized.jpg

20200217_174045_resized.jpg

20200217_174100_resized.jpg

This should have been in the other post... shows the underside nuts and plates for the seat belts... I also hammered out some dents that happened with the cage work.

20200217_174207_resized.jpg

Made the rough cut to where most of the metal was straight and not warped...

20200217_181902_resized.jpg

20200217_181918_resized.jpg

I will cut the donor side panel hopefully tonight and tack it all in... it is moving along.

Some shop shots

20200217_182004_resized.jpg

20200217_182017_resized.jpg

That's it for now... more later.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Not much to report... getting closer on the rear section... had a few things to ship out and the weather isn't cooperating these days...

cb

20200219_174003_resized.jpg

20200219_175551_resized.jpg

20200219_175603_resized.jpg

20200219_192034_resized.jpg

20200219_192044_resized.jpg

The pictures don't show it, but taking that thing on/off like 20x to make sure it all fit up right... now the tacking in part is a lot easier... I have one more small tweak to make, but it should be good to go now.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I was able to tack in the new strip and get some fitting done... getting closer, but I seem to have the corners bowing out a bit, so not sure what to do there. I need to drill holes in the new strip to hold it down, so that is the next step... and then into fixing the tranny hole.

20200220_183413_resized_1.jpg

20200220_183950_resized_1.jpg

20200220_185513_resized_1.jpg

20200220_185747_resized.jpg

20200220_185753_resized.jpg

20200220_190414_resized.jpg

20200220_190450_resized.jpg

20200220_190502_resized.jpg

cb

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I then would have to find glass for it ;)

One of the doors has plexiglass in it unfortunately.
I am actually going to throw on the Scrambler top I just tore down in the next few weeks to see how a regular top fits and looks... I just still haven't gotten the exact look I am going for (in my head).

cb

playing 75 day catchup on your post. Lots of greatness !! ?

I can part with a piece of glass for this build if you need it...

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Curious how you keep the welding splatter off that precious slider glass. I learned decades ago the hard way.. about 24 hours after I got my welder that welding and nearby glass don’t mix well

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Curious how you keep the welding splatter off that precious slider glass. I learned decades ago the hard way.. about 24 hours after I got my welder that welding and nearby glass don’t mix well

I put the glass/piece on afterwards... it was on the other side of the garage far away from grinders and welders... most of the welding was done when it was in the vertical position, not sitting where it is now.

I needed it down to mount the backpiece to measure for the holes which will be drilled after... and then the welding will be finished.

cb

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Excellent. On my question, I’m an idiot. I guess I meant the bottom of the tub, I knew you still needed to deal with the rear top edge.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Excellent. On my question, I’m an idiot. I guess I meant the bottom of the tub, I knew you still needed to deal with the rear top edge.

Yeah bottom should be all set outside of sandblasting and sealing that up... last piece is the transmission tunnel opening as I have to take some more off one side and add to the other due to the cut of it.

cb

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I put the glass/piece on afterwards... it was on the other side of the garage far away from grinders and welders... most of the welding was done when it was in the vertical position, not sitting where it is now.

I needed it down to mount the backpiece to measure for the holes which will be drilled after... and then the welding will be finished.

cb

Good good. I see it a lot laying to the side throughout the thread. Just making sure. Most glass is quite replaceable not so much tug slider windows.

Keep up the great work. It’s the weekend !! ?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I can part with a piece of glass for this build if you need it...

THIS is just complete awesomeness! Please in the name of all things Jeep, jump on this.

Is the tug slider glass flat, or does it have some curve to it? If it is flat, it can be cut, then tempered. Might be $$, but not near as hard to get as the complex curve glass in the barn door or the world cab side glass.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
THIS is just complete awesomeness! Please in the name of all things Jeep, jump on this.

Is the tug slider glass flat, or does it have some curve to it? If it is flat, it can be cut, then tempered. Might be $$, but not near as hard to get as the complex curve glass in the barn door or the world cab side glass.

It really comes down to the doors as well... the Jeep was used as a TUG, so the driver side took some major beating... the passenger door is fine, the driver door will require a lot of TLC to bring it back.

Also, someone tap danced on the top of this thing, it is incredible how many dents something can have in it.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
On/Off with the top a few times and drilled up all the holes to hold the top down to the new white strip that was welded in.

20200221_174744_resized.jpg

Then moved the shop around a bit as I don't have a ton of room and wanted this on the dolly to work on it more.

20200221_174758_resized.jpg

Parts for the tranny tunnel

20200221_180352_resized.jpg

This motor mount needs to be lowered 1/2" give or take.

20200221_180358_resized.jpg

Trial fitting everything again, the top is not lining up.

20200221_185247_resized.jpg

20200221_185306_resized.jpg

Gave up and had some beers and went inside... till tomorrow.

20200221_185320_resized.jpg

If you look, the back is not on right... the whole edge is way over to right and isn't far enough back either... not sure why this is so tweaked. I need to pull some measurements today and see what is off... my guess is he windshield frame, but need the doors in place to set that first.

cb

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Sounds like the tug was used as a ladder to access a plane for maintenance.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Because you are so good at metal work, perhaps you could take the square cornered window frame from the tug door and put it on a nicer CJ/YJ door rather than fix the tug door that took the major beating. Love this project.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Because you are so good at metal work, perhaps you could take the square cornered window frame from the tug door and put it on a nicer CJ/YJ door rather than fix the tug door that took the major beating. Love this project.

That isn't a horrible idea... that might make a lot of sense actually to use the nice doors I have and the guts and cornered section out of the other one.

cb