Someone keeps flagging my CJ8 CL ad for removal.......

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Looking for a six, but this one is an Iron Duke. How underpowered is an Iron Duke Scrambler? Probably not safe for highway use?[/QUOTE]
Always wondered what EFI & a turbo could do for an Iron Duke !

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
They are somewhat under-powered with an Iron Duke, but then a again so are the models with a 258 six cyl in my opinion. I've driven both in a CJ-7 and the Iron Duke is surprisingly not that bad..... the beauty of the Iron Duke model is that it will have some decent gears.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
They are somewhat under-powered with an Iron Duke, but then a again so are the models with a 258 six cyl in my opinion. I've driven both in a CJ-7 and the Iron Duke is surprisingly not that bad..... the beauty of the Iron Duke model is that it will have some decent gears.
I'd imagine you might consider it speed limited to under 60 mph?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
[QUOTE="Scott_P, post: 410608, member: 2421"the beauty of the Iron Duke model is that it will have some decent gears.[/QUOTE]

This is important. Swapping in a 258 or 4.0 is easier than regearing for most of us.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It might be flagged only because it's a wanted ad in a for sale section.

I hear what you're saying about Wanted sections not getting much traffic. I think that's true.
This. Doesn't matter what you post, if it's in a classified section with a want ad, it shouldn't be there. If you did it here and I saw it, I'd move it to the correct section.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Actually, the fact that you posted this here in the ScRamblings section is borderline IMO. I'll leave it because I didn't see it before people commented, so FYI.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I'd imagine you might consider it speed limited to under 60 mph?
I would say no, it should do 60, but your not going to get there in 3.6 seconds either! If you were out west in the mountains it would be wheezing at elevation.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
$10k will get you a good drive-able project. That's what I was looking for, and one my main criteria was that I have to be able to drive it home.

I found one for $9k, and I did drive it home... 450 nerve-wracking miles (with a small fire, and a headlight that burned out after dark)!

That said, I've spent that much again on upgrades/mods, and it's nowhere near as nice as what you can buy for $18k.

I'm setting it up for myself though, and in the end, I'll have exactly what I want.

Even if it costs me $25k... it's still half the price of a new one! 8-)

If I were looking again, I might look around the $15-18k range, just in case someone had already done the things I want to do, but that might be kind of a needle in a haystack.

chazman

City
Roselle
State
Il
$10k will get you a good drive-able project. That's what I was looking for, and one my main criteria was that I have to be able to drive it home.

I found one for $9k, and I did drive it home... 450 nerve-wracking miles (with a small fire, and a headlight that burned out after dark)!

That said, I've spent that much again on upgrades/mods, and it's nowhere near as nice as what you can buy for $18k.

I'm setting it up for myself though, and in the end, I'll have exactly what I want.

Even if it costs me $25k... it's still half the price of a new one! 8-)

If I were looking again, I might look around the $15-18k range, just in case someone had already done the things I want to do, but that might be kind of a needle in a haystack.

I always advise people who ask me, to spend and get the best one you can get. But I don't always take my own advice. :) A 15-18K one would probably cheaper than a 10K one in the long run. But....what fun is that? I have run across a couple of nice 10-12K ones, for 19K, though.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I always advise people who ask me, to spend and get the best one you can get. But I don't always take my own advice. :) A 15-18K one would probably cheaper than a 10K one in the long run. But....what fun is that? I have run across a couple of nice 10-12K ones, for 19K, though.
I bought mine for about $3k 10 years ago. I am in the process of rebuilding it. I'm guessing I will have $20-30k more in it by the time I'm done. It makes the $20k original ones look like a bargain. But those won't be built like mine will with a big V-8, HD trans, and other custom touches. But I also know that my custom touches will not add value and actually decrease its marketability. In the end, it will be what I want. And that is just fine.