spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have been busy with "grandma stuff" the last two weeks, but I was still able to finish the last two "get done before Sand Blast" projects. So, the Scrambler was/is ready for Michigan, but I have a funeral to go to.

I finished up the tunnel cover/shifter boot project.

I added heat resistant foil tape to the bottom of the tunnel cover, and foam weather strip to seal the tunnel cover to the floor. I don't know how much help the tape will be, but I had it, so I figured what the heck.

I was not happy how the flat transmission shifter boot was fitting on the rounded tunnel cover. So, I made a cork gasket to get the fit tighter.

I also used bolts/nuts to really help pull the flat transmission shifter boot retainer ring down tight to the rounded tunnel cover. Worked really well.

I also added a bit of weather stripping to the bottom edge of the transfer case shifter boot. I had a very slight gap in places, so this sealed it up tight.

Before I bolted the tunnel cover back down, I had to address my transmission/transfer case vent lines. I originally tied my transmission vent into the transfer case vent line with a plastic tee. After BigWalton had problems with his set up like this, I decided to re-do mine. I removed the transmission vent line from the transfer case vent line. I then spliced the transfer case vent line back together with a brass fitting. The plastic "tee" I used became brittle from the heat and broke.

The transmission originally had a short piece of plastic tubing coming out of the vent hole. This also snapped off, since it was super brittle from heat/age. I left the vent hole open, just like the factory did. So, no deep water crossings for this Jeep, unless I can find a way to "snorkel" this vent hole. The vent hole is in the top of the transmission case, so it is pretty safe.

After completing the transmission tunnel/shifter boot project, I turned my attention to the steering modifications.

I removed the dropped pitman arm and reinstalled the factory arm. This made a huge difference, I regained all the steering throw.

I also "flipped" the tie rod and drag link to the top of the knuckles, using the Rock Equipment Tie Rod Flip kit inserts. I used this same kit on my red Scrambler. Just be very careful when using the reamer in the knuckle holes. If you remove too much material you will ruin the knuckle. I also installed stronger tie rod and drag link tubes, with all new ends. I gained a bunch of clearance, and no bump steer.

A few pictures of the completed steering set up:

After completing the shifter boot/steering projects, I took the Scrambler on a test drive. The tunnel cover/shifter boots made a huge difference on the inside heat levels, so well worth all the trouble/time. The steering modifications work great, and by eliminating the drop pitman arm, the Scrambler turns much sharper, so another "well worth it project".

That's it for now.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Condolences from Jannie and I along with the entire "Sand Blast 7" crew. You were missed my friend. Looking forward to 12th SOA National and "Sand Blast 8".:thumbsup:

Your chairs and flag will be returned to their "Spot" in Southern Indiana. :wave:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Condolences from Jannie and I along with the entire "Sand Blast 7" crew. You were missed my friend. Looking forward to 12th SOA National and "Sand Blast 8".:thumbsup:

Your chairs and flag will be returned to their "Spot" in Southern Indiana. :wave:
Appreciate it Toby:cheers:

We are really upset we couldn't make it:(

Better luck next year, and thanks for storing my chairs/flag:thumbsup::wave:

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
Thanks, I ordered the linkage nostalgia shifter, well second hand from a guy that did the same swap I am. I really like how it looks like a stick, seems fitting for a jeep

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Thanks, I ordered the linkage nostalgia shifter, well second hand from a guy that did the same swap I am. I really like how it looks like a stick, seems fitting for a jeep
I think you will really like the "linkage" shifter:thumbsup: My buddy has a linkage shifter in his YJ crawler, it bolts right to the transmission case. It feels a bit more "solid" then the cable shifter. But, the cable shifter is a bit easier to mount almost anywhere, where as the solid linkage shifters aren't as flexible:shrug:

That being said, I prefer the linkage style shifter over the cable type, but the cable type came with my Scrambler. and so far, no problems:thumbsup::wave:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I had some "issues" with the 700R4 the other day, still not sure what happened to it:shrug:

The things I "know":

1) It was well over 100 degrees all day Sunday when we were riding
2) The transmission fluid temperature never got over 200 degrees
3) The transmission would not shift into 4th gear, the torque convertor (TC) would not lock up

On the way to the Jeep ride, the last shift into OD felt a bit "weird". Other then that, everything felt fine. I drove the Scrambler, unintentionally, briefly into a deep water hole, over the tires deep, water leaking in the cab through the door seals:eek:

After exiting the water hole/pond, I checked the transmission fluid. Luckily, no water:headbang: No water in the axles or transfer case, either. I hate deep water.

After driving around off road for another hour or two, with everything working fine, it was time to head home. When I got on the highway, the transmission would not shift into OD, no TC lock up, either.

I drove the Scrambler home at 55 mph, no other issues, transmission shifting fine through the other gears.

The other problem I had Sunday, the Scrambler would not start. That was a simple fix, the battery connections were very loose.

Last night, I disconnected the battery for an hour. While it was disconnected, I checked the TCC solenoid wire harness plug for water, didn't find any. I also pulled the VSS off the transfer case, seemed fine.

I hooked the battery back up and drove the Scrambler, with the scan tool hooked up. No error codes, VSS working perfectly. When I got on the highway, same problem, no OD, no TC lock up. So, I drove the Scambler to 90mph, and came off and on the gas some. It then shifted into OD, but still no TC lock up, verified by RPM and the scan tool. After about two minutes of driving at 70mph, the TC finally locked up:thumbsup:

I drove the Scrambler around for another hour, and the transmission/TC are working perfectly again. One interesting note: I never drove around with the scan tool hooked up while watching the "TCC lock up" screen on. On this particular 700R4/TC, the TC will lock up in 2,3, and 4th gears.

Anyway, still don't know what happened:confused: Since there was no water in the transmission, thankfully, not sure if this problem was caused by a wet TCC solenoind connector, the loose battery connection, or maybe a bit of trash in the valve body, or a combination:shrug:

From what I have read, the 4th gear shift is all done via hydraulic/governor control. The TC lock up function is strictly electrically controlled via the engine computer. So, I had two separate issues at the same time??

Anyway, it is working fine again, but I will probably run it by the transmission shop and talk to them.

A quick picture, tan Scrambler resting in the yard:

That's it for now:wave:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
The Tan Scrambler was expressing it's disappointment of not having any sand around it anywhere. :shrug:

Glad it's ok now. :wave:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The Tan Scrambler was expressing it's disappointment of not having any sand around it anywhere. :shrug:

Glad it's ok now. :wave:
Yep, poor old tan Scrambler missed the dunes, again:(

Seems to be fine. I have been driving it all day, working perfectly. Maybe it just had a bad day:crazy::fingerscrossed::shrug:

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
I have a much simpler diagnostic process:
1. Turn Key
a. Does it run? Go.
b. Does it not run? Swap out for another Jeep. Go.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Nothing too exciting, just maintenance.

Seeing how the axles have new ring and pinions and bearings, and I rebuilt the Dana 300, figured it was time to change out all of the initial gear oil.

On the rear axle, I glued the gasket to the axle housing only. Going to see if it will not leak like this. If it works, much easier future diff cover/gear oil changes.

Rear axle with Detroit Locker, 4.10 gears:

On the front axle, I glued the gasket to the diff cover only. Going to see if it will not leak like this. If it works, much easier future diff cover/gear oil changes.

Front axle with Detroit True-Trac, 4.10 gears:

I never noticed how much the Tru-Trac looks like a Detroit Locker.

I also changed the engine oil, still need to re-grease all of the steering linkages and drive shafts.

I don't plan on doing too much more work to this one, maybe new door weather stripping, and maybe a bit of paint on some bare/surface rusted metal.

City
chapin
State
sc
don't forget to put a little hair around the tailpipe!

I don't plan on doing too much more work to this one, maybe new door weather stripping, and maybe a bit of paint on some bare/surface rusted metal.

That's it for now:wave:[/QUOTE]

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
It has been awhile since I updated this thread. The CA Scrambler has been great, no real problems. I have been driving it on and off road the past few months, only two minor issues:

1) The battery cable connections on the front of the battery can work loose. The current battery came with this Scrambler, it has tiny "car type" connections. I just need to put a wrench on the bolts every once in awhile to keep them snug.

2) The plastic air cleaner spacer has cracked. I need to find/machine an aluminum replacement. Or, rework some of the TBI components and eliminate the need for the additional air cleaner spacer.

Only other issue, the stock rear bumper, which was damaged when I received the Scrambler, is now completely toast:eek:

I damaged the passenger side two trips ago, it got caught on a stump:

The driver side got wiped out this past trip. The Scrambler got stuck in the mud, and so I hooked the winch to the bumper. It worked great until the rear axle snagged on a stump, and the bumper gave up the ghost:

"Chrome don't get you home" :crazy:

I need to remove the rear bumper, it has served its purpose. No damage to the cross member, or any of the stock bumper attaching brackets. I need to build a new rear bumper before the next off road trip, the "azz dragger" moniker is correct.

I made a wise choice replacing the tires that came with the Scrambler. They were brand new BFG All Terrains, still had the stickers on them, but they were from the 90's, and had some dry rot. I gave the tires to my buddy to put on his trail only Grand Cherokee. Well, on this trip, the tread separated off of one of the tires. Better it happened off road at under 5 mph then to me on the interstate at 70mph:eek:

I got this one all cleaned up and serviced after this past off road trip. I am going to "retire" this one from off road duty for awhile, maybe until Sand Blast 2015. I will continue to use it for "yard work" and other errands. It need a rear bumper before it sees any more "real" trail usage.

Last edited:

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I guess you don't need to worry about end caps for that bumper anymore :)