• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Spankrjs 1985 Spring Special CJ-7

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Installing the PS pump assembly to the engine/engine mounted bracket.

Two bolts up front to secure the front aluminum bracket:

41.jpg

One bolt on the rear, "Rockford", to hold rear aluminum bracket to the steel block bracket:

42.jpg

The long "double threaded stud" goes through the front aluminum bracket and threads into the steel block mounted bracket:

43.jpg

Remove this bolt:

44.jpg

Flat black plate bracket goes on next. I had to temporarily install the long/dangly aluminum bracket to the head studs, tighten the front nut down, to get everything to line up. The whole assembly is a huge PIA to install. Leave everything loose, tighten some parts, to get all the holes to line up:

45.jpg

Tightening down the front nut to aid alignment:

46.jpg

And finally, all brackets/bolts/nuts/installed:

47.jpg

Pulley alignment between the crank/WP/PS pump is OK:

48.jpg

Alignment off one groove between the PS pump pulley and the idler pulley:

49.jpg

Alignment good between the alternator and its idler pulley:

50.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Note for later, the slight gap between the alternator idler pulley bracket and the big aluminum bracket. There is no adjustment possible here:

51.jpg

On the power steering pump/idler pulley misalignment, easy fix: I took out the factory spacer, installed a shorter spacer:

52.jpg

Near perfect alignment:

53.jpg

Picture from FSM showing serpentine belt routing:

54.jpg

Belt installed:

55.jpg

Don't forget, like I did, to install this little plug BEFORE bolting the alternator into place:

56.jpg

Belt adjustment at the passenger side on the alternator:

57.jpg

Belt adjustment at the driver side PS pump:

58.jpg

Seems to be OK:

59.jpg

60.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Hard to see, BUT I have a misalignment between the two idler pulleys. The idler above the alternator is twisted:

61.jpg

You can see it clearly here:

62.jpg

Not so much here:

63.jpg

Long, black steel straight edge from the face of alternator idler pulley to the face of the PS idler pulley:

64.jpg

Note the misalignment:

65.jpg

Removing the alternator so i can remove the idler pulley bracket. Now you know why I clean all this stuff LOL:

66.jpg

Idler pulley bracket pushed to stop on aluminum bracket, no change:

67.jpg

As far as I can tell, the steel idler pulley bracket is not damaged or twisted, fits tight into the holes in the aluminum bracket.

So, I loosened the large aluminum bracket from the block, installed one thick washer/shim at the front upper mounting bolt hole, slightly twisting the whole assembly:

68.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Much better, I don't think this slight difference is worth pursuing:

69.jpg

Spinning fine:

70.jpg

After the above shimming, the belt sits center of the water pump pulley. Before, it was riding toward the rear of the pulley:

71.jpg

So, hopefully, good to go.

I pulled out the #2 plug, which had damage. This time, good to go!!!!

72.jpg

So, with the belt back on, no damaged spark plug, and the engine running about 95%, 95% of the time, I am going to leave this one alone for now.

Time to work on a Scrambler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I refurbished my p s pump a few months back and the big NAPA warehouse here told me on my non serpentine that no resivoir comes with them

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I refurbished my p s pump a few months back and the big NAPA warehouse here told me on my non serpentine that no resivoir comes with them
I ran into that with NAPA on my son’s J-10. I bought their pump with no resevoir, it destroyed the existing reservoir, something was out of spec. We found one with the reservoir at O‘Riley’s and it was way cheaper too.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS

The pump is the same for "V-Belt" or serpentine, only the pulley is different.

Looking at NAPA online today, I can get the pump with or without the reservoir :shrug:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I ran into that with NAPA on my son’s J-10. I bought their pump with no resevoir, it destroyed the existing reservoir, something was out of spec. We found one with the reservoir at O‘Riley’s and it was way cheaper too.

I have successfully installed a "new" pump into an existing housing several times. Like you said, maybe the wrong pump in the box or something else really strange going on :shrug:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I have successfully installed a "new" pump into an existing housing several times. Like you said, maybe the wrong pump in the box or something else really strange going on :shrug:
I’ve done several over the years, something was off on this one. I even took it to a shop I’ve used with several good mechanics, they couldn’t make it work either. The pump is in it’s box, on the shelf in my shop...want it? My son never returned it.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I’ve done several over the years, something was off on this one. I even took it to a shop I’ve used with several good mechanics, they couldn’t make it work either. The pump is in it’s box, on the shelf in my shop...want it? My son never returned it.

No, I don't need it :thumbsup:

Yeah, must have been a defective pump body :shrug:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
We are having some great CJ weather right now ! Was watching a live shot of the protest in Michigan and it started snowing

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
More pictures, because I was bored.

Spring Cleaning for the Spring Special:

20200505_185845.jpg

20200505_190207.jpg

20200505_190217.jpg

20200505_190234.jpg

Unfortunately, if/when JeepAddict brings his red Scrambler carcass over, he is taking this one back to Baton Rouge and storing it for me while I work on his junk :cry:

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Ole JeepAddict has been slacking, no red Scrambler project for me to work on, so I decided to knock out any easy "fix" on this one: headlight adjustment.

Pulled the headlights/buckets out:

20200516_101739.jpg

Headlight bucket:

20200516_101755.jpg

Separating the headlight bucket into its two main parts: a spring and the two adjuster screws hold the two parts together:

20200516_101917.jpg

One of the original adjuster pieces, the plastic is stripped out/wore out:

20200516_101922.jpg

I drilled out the original adjuster rivets, 3/16" drill bit:

20200516_101948.jpg

Two adjusters removed from one of the headlight buckets:

20200516_102037.jpg

I bought some new plastic parts from eBay:

20200516_113254.jpg

Trip to Lowe's for some #8 screws/nuts:

20200516_112934.jpg

I "pre-threaded" the plastic pieces with a screw. This might hold it, but I went ahead and put nuts on the backside, too:

20200516_113128.jpg

Installed:

20200516_113607.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Backside, showing the nuts:

20200516_113617.jpg

Putting the two parts back together is a bit of a PIA. I installed the two parts of the headlight bucket assemblies together with the adjuster screws first, then installed the spring.

The adjuster screws have a machined "valley" that rides in the sheet metal "slot" of the headlight bucket:

20200516_113725.jpg

Anyway, adjuster screws first, then the spring, back together:

20200516_113953.jpg

Back "under the interstate bridge", recreated my "urban art":

20200516_141250.jpg

20200516_142316.jpg

Headlights adjusted back to specification. This simple adjustment makes a world of difference. Everyone wants to "upgrade" their headlights, I wonder if they ever adjust the originals correctly, first, before they condem them?

That's it for now :wave:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Good bye for now :(

IMG_2458.jpg

Ran out of indoor storage, so JeepAddict is taking this one back to his layer until I finish his red Scrambler that is now in my garage.

Maybe more like a hostage..........