Spare Tire Rack repair/upgrade (oem)

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
Question on the finer points...

When I put mine back together, I put wave washers at the top (between the body mounted brackets and the upper and lower arms of the swinging gate). My thought was that the spring force of the wave washer pushing down on the two arms of the swinging gate would reduce rattling.. by "holding them down" against the lower part of the brackets. Now I'm wondering if wave washer underneath would also have been a good idea. But at the time I liked the greater surface area provided by the flat fender washers I used on the bottom...

Thoughts?

- The OverEngineer

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I managed to get nylon washers in there. The fit was tight- sort of had to tap them in. But, man is it solid. 1CE953C8-DA95-4923-BCEB-FBD417C1953F.jpeg

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
For 10 years I did that... And Utah washboard roads, and dust, and too much weight on the rack. My nylon washers came out almost as thin as paper! But they worked good while they did!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Mine will see an aluminum wheel, 31” BFG, and not much else.
I had thought of some cool things to do back there but in the end kept it stock. Probably wise at this point.

Last edited:

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
Mine will see an aluminum wheel, 31” BFG, and not much else.
I had thought of some cool things to do back there but in the end kept it stock. Probably wise at this point.
Yes... Putting more weight on there can be a bad idea.. however, I wonder if these are easily adaptable to a CJ? With the extra weight not sticking out too far and close to the hinges I think I'd like to try it...(?)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Yes... Putting more weight on there can be a bad idea.. however, I wonder if these are easily adaptable to a CJ? With the extra weight not sticking out too far and close to the hinges I think I'd like to try it...(?)

I’m sure a simple mid to the bracket would work. Maybe some u-bolts and a plate? I wouldn’t want to drill the carrier tubes- not much extra meat there.