• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Switching from CB to GMRS radios

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
No license required here in the USA either for 5 watts. Just the 15s and 40s.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Just in case anybody is interested, midland is running a Valentine's Day sale again.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    364.2 KB · Views: 24

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Going to check that out. Thanks

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Just picked up two more. 40 watt and base camp models. I'm surprised the sale has not gone over to Amazon yet. Its only on the Midland site. Thanks again, can't wait to try out the 40 watt model.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Just picked up two more. 40 watt and base camp models. I'm surprised the sale has not gone over to Amazon yet. Its only on the Midland site. Thanks again, can't wait to try out the 40 watt model.
That's awesome! Glad I could help. I took advantage of the same sale last year. I bought two of the 15w radios. One for my son, & one for me. We love them. I imagine that the 40w radios are incredible. Keep us posted.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Yes, I will let you know. I bought the 5 watt one first, used that last year for the entire season and it worked great. I bought the 15 watt, but have yet to remove it from the box. I think the 40 watt will be a home run and will do some checks later this year. I am really interested to see how the Base-camp radio works. We are kinda preppers, so that will fit right in. I will do some testing with that and my mobile 5 watt one right off.

Sfisher

Basic User
Silver Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
Any reports back on the 40 watt version? Also, I'm out west and with the mountains I want to potentially use the repeaters. Anyone have any experience using their GMRS with repeaters?

Thanks!

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
I looked at the 40watt recently for my new rig but ended up with the 15 watt, as my budget was getting eaten up pretty quick.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I have all three, but only used the five watt one so far.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I just got an email from Midland about their Black Friday event. Just thought I’d share.96594E25-10A2-4438-B063-C2BF66A9B462.png

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I just got an email from Midland about their Black Friday event. Just thought I’d share.View attachment 77644

They were supposed to send me the 275 to test for the magazine but never did. Cool looking unit but I'm all set with the ones I have.

MXT275-side.jpg

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
They were supposed to send me the 275 to test for the magazine but never did. Cool looking unit but I'm all set with the ones I have.

MXT275-side.jpg

Sounds like somebody at midland dropped the ball. That is a really cool looking radio. But like you I’m all set, and heavily invested with the ones I already have.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Yeh, I'm the same way. I think I own everyone they make now from 5 watt to 40 and even two handheld sets and a base camp. Who wever started this gmrs thread owes me a lot of money. But I have to admit, I have not used one and been disappointed yet.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I need a response from someone who has used these a few times. Are the hand held portable ones good-work well ? I might use one once or twice maybe a year and don't really want to mount one in my vehicle. Is there a certain model recommended ?

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
They just offered up the 15 watt version combo up for $50 off. That might actually be better than the 20-25 percent off. Us free shipping. I'm thinking about it, but I now have all the models, 5,15,40. Plus two set of handhelds and base radio.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
They just offered up the 15 watt version combo up for $50 off. That might actually be better than the 20-25 percent off. Us free shipping. I'm thinking about it, but I now have all the models, 5,15,40. Plus two set of handhelds and base radio.
Your not that guy with the 25 foot antenna on your pickup roof and 2 12 footers on the back bumper are you ? I've seen you on the highway before.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
No I like the little short stubbies. But maybe more than one. ?

jeepnmatt

Legacy Registered User
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
I'm getting ready for Sandblast 2020 and need to buy a new communication device.

What is the current preference for handheld units?

Thanks!
Matt

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I really like the Midland 275 unit with the controls in the mic for in the Jeep. Not handheld, but the antenna and unit itself is so tiny it's a cinch to mount.

I have several of the Midland handheld units and they work fine, just not as powerful. With the frequency conversion chart (I think it's posted in here?) you can talk to the race radios/rugged radios too. I currently favor the USB rechargeable set, I forget the number. Seem to hold charge well.