• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Switching from CB to GMRS radios

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I also have the 5,15 and 40 micro mobiles and one 275. They all work great. I still have 3 cb radios but seldom use them anymore, only when someone else has only a cb in their Jeep.

MI Scrambler

City
Bridgman
State
MI
Before Sand Blast JeeperDD purchased a set of handheld GMRS radios also Midlands I believe that we used to talk back and forth with each other at the event. Other radios that we were able to compare were a 5 watt Midland Mobile and by the end of the week we had three 15 watt mobiles that were talking to each other.

With all the comparisons the handhelds to the mobile unit were were able to talk from the dunes to camp if in the right location at both. This is a pretty good distance and I would say very little chance of this distance with a CB. While all the units were very clear and would reliably work in the one to two mile range once we were talking between the three 15 watt mobile units it was truly outstanding. things were clear and crisp even at long distances and BigWalton and myself were able to talk from the top of the dunes out to somewhere in the woods when half the group was on the 2 track ride. Not sure the distance but the report was that they were FAR away.

With this experience and the fact that a set of two GMRS simplex handhelds can be had for $50 at many places makes me more and more prone to not even putting a CB in the big jeep. I am even leaning towards putting a 40 watt mobile in my truck for convoy times.

Sorry but when you said "once we were talking between the three 15 watt mobile units", does that mean you can only talk and/or listen to people with GMRS radios? Can you tune the GMRS radios to listen to and talk to CBs? CBs have 40 channels as you know and think are on a totally different band. If there were only three people out there with GMRS radios does that mean you can only talk and listen to those three people and not listen to all the other BS/chatter of the CBs?

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
GMRS does not communicate with CB radios. If you go to the Midland site it will explain a little more about actually tuning the GMRS channels to privacy channels. Meaning you can actually be in a group of your own, even while on the same channel as others. Your privacy selection keep just those tuned to it, to hear and communicate. I'm sure I made it sound complicated, but it's not. You should not, nor have I ever heard anyone from a citizens band radio on my GMRS radio. Hoped that helped.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Sorry but when you said "once we were talking between the three 15 watt mobile units", does that mean you can only talk and/or listen to people with GMRS radios? Can you tune the GMRS radios to listen to and talk to CBs? CBs have 40 channels as you know and think are on a totally different band. If there were only three people out there with GMRS radios does that mean you can only talk and listen to those three people and not listen to all the other BS/chatter of the CBs?

CB is like listening to an AM radio after using GMRS. I despise having to use mine now. We’ve had people come to SandBlast, try one and immediately go to Amazon yo have one delivered to use at the event. Apples and oranges doesn’t even begin to explain the difference IMO.

So no, GMRS can’t do CB frequencies. You can talk to other types of radios though. Technically, you need a cheap lifetime license to use the “high power” GMRS channels that’s a simple application process, no test.

You can put in a privacy code that lets you only hear others with that code (but other people on the frequency without the code still hear you). Basically it filters what you can hear if there’s a noisy channel, but any new folks will have to have that code to converse with you.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
GMRS does not communicate with CB radios. If you go to the Midland site it will explain a little more about actually tuning the GMRS channels to privacy channels. Meaning you can actually be in a group of your own, even while on the same channel as others. Your privacy selection keep just those tuned to it, to hear and communicate. I'm sure I made it sound complicated, but it's not. You should not, nor have I ever heard anyone from a citizens band radio on my GMRS radio. Hoped that helped.

Note that it’s not a “private” channel in that you are still heard by others on that channel without the code. You just only hear the people with the code.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I knew my explanation was not perfect, but my excuse is, I'm a simple Jeep guy. ? Thanks for further explaining for us less fortunate. ?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I knew my explanation was not perfect, but my excuse is, I'm a simple Jeep guy. ? Thanks for further explaining for us less fortunate. ?

Struck me that it would be an important thing for some folks (not me) when I read it when I was researching these initially, so I made a mental note.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Struck me that it would be an important thing for some folks (not me) when I read it when I was researching these initially, so I made a mental note.

My mental notes are hurting too much, so I just gave up on em. ?
GMRS are the way to go. Just so much clearer and distance to communicate wise is just vastly expanded. I actually have two still in the boxes. I'm looking for Jeep's for them right now. ?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
GRMS and CB in mine, plus 2 handheld GRMS. I guide a fair amount and can’t count on everyone having one or the other.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Yeh John you can see from my picture, I have 2 sets of hand helds for visitors. Some people come with no radio systems at all. I carry an extra set of rechargable batteries. The hand helds don't seem to last real long.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Yeh John you can see from my picture, I have 2 sets of hand helds for visitors. Some people come with no radio systems at all. I carry an extra set of rechargable batteries. The hand helds don't seem to last real long.
It drives me nuts for people who come to go on a trail ride, in a group, with a decently prepared Jeep and no means of communication with the others in the group. Radios are cheap compared to most other things anyone can do.

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
So, I am wanting to upgrade my CB in my jeep since I just took the dash out for all new speedhut parts. I tore out the old CB and wires and I am looking for something better. My buddy just had an in car GRMS put in his jeep and also has a nice little handheld unit. I was thinking I have a handheld CB that works fine for trails, his GRMS handheld worked great at badlands last weekend in the woods and we could hear everyone at the trailhead and camp with just the handheld because he had not "Tuned" the in jeep unit yet. Plus I like the idea of jumping in and out with the radio when needed. I might add a fixed unit in the future if it turns out to be needed.

What handheld would you guys recommend?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
So, I am wanting to upgrade my CB in my jeep since I just took the dash out for all new speedhut parts. I tore out the old CB and wires and I am looking for something better. My buddy just had an in car GRMS put in his jeep and also has a nice little handheld unit. I was thinking I have a handheld CB that works fine for trails, his GRMS handheld worked great at badlands last weekend in the woods and we could hear everyone at the trailhead and camp with just the handheld because he had not "Tuned" the in jeep unit yet. Plus I like the idea of jumping in and out with the radio when needed. I might add a fixed unit in the future if it turns out to be needed.

What handheld would you guys recommend?

I have a couple sets of Midland handhelds and they seem to work fine. Nothing compared to a high powered car unit though. Also, no tuning for GMRS like there is for CBS that I’m aware of. Just slap it in and enjoy the much improved sound and range :thumbsup:

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
I have three different sets of hand helds. This one seems to work the best.15931935536555403609040133303677.jpg

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Just saw Midland site is offering 15% off for Black Friday (Code BF15 at checkout).

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Just saw Midland site is offering 15% off for Black Friday (Code BF15 at checkout).
LOL, yes, but if you want the best/most popular radio, the 275, the discount puts you under the limit for free shipping ($150) and adding shipping back in puts you within $6 of the non-discounted price with free shipping.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
LOL, yes, but if you want the best/most popular radio, the 275, the discount puts you under the limit for free shipping ($150) and adding shipping back in puts you within $6 of the non-discounted price with free shipping.
I ordered the 400...