• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The Banana Boat

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well this one is not doing any burnouts right now. I played with the timing today. Better. But took a video of what it does when we drive it. It behaves fine for a bit then sputters and eventually stalls.

https://vimeo.com/195212817

A buddy tells me that the accelerator pump is bad and rebuilding the carb will help out.

Gamedic

Basic User
City
Cleveland
State
GA
I might have missed it but when was the last time the carb was rebuilt? It's acting like the accelerator pump isn't working at all when you open the butterfly. Try opening it all the way with it not running while looking down the throat. you should see it squirt fuel into the throat if not then you've got a problem either getting fuel to the carb or the accelerator pump is shot.

Brother I told you that lol

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Brother I told you that lol

Yeah. I know. The rebuild kit is on the way. Today was the first chance I had to look at it and play with the timing. I am wondering about fuel pump too.

Gamedic

Basic User
City
Cleveland
State
GA
Fuel pump is definitely a possibility know anyone that has a fuel pressure gage you could barrow?

Gamedic

Basic User
City
Cleveland
State
GA
Okay. I don't remember the exact number that you're gonna be looking for but somewhere around 5psi I would think

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Autozone rents tools for free- ;)

Sent from my SM-G920V

Yep. Was gonna ask them. Last time I went to rent a tool from them, they did not have any of the tool I needed available (brake lone flare tool) and I just bought one instead. Was not expensive. Bait and switch? Maybe

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
FWIW, in an older carb'ed vehicle, plumbing an inline fuel pressure gauge can be a huge help to instantly eliminate fuel delivery if there's a problem and there's been many times I wished I'd had them on my FI engines too.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
FWIW, in an older carb'ed vehicle, plumbing an inline fuel pressure gauge can be a huge help to instantly eliminate fuel delivery if there's a problem and there's been many times I wished I'd had them on my FI engines too.

Great thought. Off to shop again......

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
None of the in line fuel pressure gauges are known for accuracy. They are only good for yes it has fuel pressure or no it doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G920V

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
None of the in line fuel pressure gauges are known for accuracy. They are only good for yes it has fuel pressure or no it doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G920V

That will be good enough for me at this point. I will see if it is getting pressure while it is crapping out.

I have ordered a new fuel pump as well as a carb rebuild kit. I am getting a vacuum tester on the way home. Something has to work.

If the car is not getting the right vacuum, what could the culprit be? Fix? If it is the carb and the rebuild does not help, then I might just order a new edelbrock or something.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Starter crapped out.
818123311f8427c316aa303b562609c9-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
This Impala is starting to piss me off. Spent a lot of time on it today and accomplished zippy.

Shimmed the starter. Many times, trying to get it right. No matter what, it made a scraping sound. Found the teeth from the gear in the starter pictured above. But inspecting the flywheel showed at least one flat spot where the teeth were ground down. Pisses me off. Now I need to install a new flywheel. Awesome. Not doing this myself. Taking it somewhere (probably a Hot Rod shop I went to today to check out). If they get the Impala to start right, I may get them to do more work. We will see.

This is not helping me become a Chevy guy at all.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Hurry and fix it so you can move on to the the hot starter/no start fun!! [emoji57]

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Hurry and fix it so you can move on to the the hot starter/no start fun!! [emoji57]

Heat soak? Already had that with the starter that came with it. I used to seal with that in my GTO. I hate it.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So after the flexplate and starter were replaced, we put in a new fuel filter. That was the reason for it dying. No fuel getting past the rust filled filter. So this weekend we pulled the old rusty tank and installed a new one with a new sending unit. Then filled it up with fresh gas. The crappy fuel in the lines still had rust so we will replace the filter again soon.
IMG_7351.jpg

IMG_7352.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well, ef it. This impala is testing me. The car is stuck in park at my son's school parking lot. The shifter moves and the linkage works. I crawled under it and verified the movement.

The fluid level was low, so I topped it off (hoping) but no luck. Still not getting out of park no matter what I do with the shifter. Not looking good. Sounds like the tranny is coming apart.

For the more immediate need, let me ask this.

With the tranny locked it park and the rear wheels not moving, how can I get it home? It is only 1/2 mile away. Do you think using those wheel dollies would work? How would a tow truck get it home? Is it possible to get it out of park?

Should I lift the rear and remove the driveshaft to drag it home?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The lever going inside the transmission is moving?