• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The beginning.. the end.... and a fresh start

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Great. Glad things are going well. I know I'm not the only one that considers this one of the top "reference" builds over the last few years. Looking forward to the new pics.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
For anyone viewing this thread you may have noticed many of the images in the first bunch of pages have been dropping off. I'm going to reload the images to another photo sharing website called Flickr.com and then reload them into the posts as time allows.

I've started the process and what a difference. Flickr works well and the images are way bigger now.

Also I've loaded many more of the original files so as I move through the posts I'm posting a few more pics here and there.

Like this one I found from 1992 in front of my best friends house. I think it would be cool to take the Scrambler in it's current form back to the same spot and take a similar pic.

31356640414_01110f9770_b-1.jpg

Last edited:

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Looked good back then too, Scrambler that is. [emoji57]

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

It's been a while since I've updated but not much has happened to the Jeep other than cruising with family and friends.
Last month I entered it in the Turkey Rod Run at the Daytona International Speedway for the 3rd year in a row. It's always a bunch of fun and more than you can see in one day. There's a huge swap meet each year that I enjoy walking through and just looking at all the stuff. This year my goal was to try and find an old radio that would fit the OEM cutout in the dash. I know there's newer radios available with all the bells and whistles of modern tech but I wanted an ole school one... on the cheap.

I found a late 70's in the original box, but used, Audio vox from KMart for $15. Still had the price tag on it from back in the day. AM/FM, yeah baby get ready..... 8-Track!! and it still works! It took a little bit of sanding the plastic around the radio dial to squeeze it in but it looks great. The volume was pretty scratchy but rolling the knob around seemed to clear it up. Since this Jeep came with the radio delete option there's no antenna holes in the right body panel. I don't want to drill any either so I just bought a cheap antenna at Autozone and stuck it up under the dash. I had a set of 6.5" coax speakers hanging around that I made fit by cutting the mounting flange off the speaker with tin snips. That allowed the speakers to sit just inside the 4 mounting studs on the back of the dash. Spinning the nuts down against the speaker frames held them in place well.

Then the task was to find some 8-tracks. I went to this ole record shop up in Daytona and in the back they had a couple crusty boxes full of tape and roach poop. Some still had the covers on them from Columbia House. I bought 5 at $2 each. I wanted a Christmas tape so we could listen to the player struggle thru the 4 tracks while we drove around looking at Lights. Well it ate the Christmas tape so we shoved in some Elvis in Hawaii. Ate that too! It was funny pulling out the tape and then pulling 2 feet of tape out after it. Everyone was having a good time with the player. It did well with the Steve Miller tape. Still have an Eagles and one more I forgot.

37906906974_c565033508_b.jpg
38624503281_e7f6e0ccb0_b.jpg
37906938874_bd4d9780e8_b.jpg
24751882208_5c1b4a3ee0_b.jpg
23995905177_a4192270fa_h.jpg
23995904997_b6a25d1ba4_h.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
That is pretty cool... I am not sure I kept any 8 tracks... might have a Jethro Tull or 2... not sure if I have any others... definitely not Christmas ones.

cb

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Yes. Very cool. I remember 8 track "lottery". So cool when you would skip the tracks and it would take you near the song you wanted :headbang:

I know you got this for a great price, but just for the heck of it I searched on "NOS 8 track" on Ebay. Amazing how many truly NOS ones are available.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Well it ate the Christmas tape so we shoved in some Elvis in Hawaii. Ate that too! It was funny pulling out the tape and then pulling 2 feet of tape out after it. Everyone was having a good time with the player. It did well with the Steve Miller tape. Still have an Eagles and one more I forgot.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family as well Roland.

I remember going to Turkey Run many years ago. I'm sure it's even bigger now.

I guess the 8-track tape alignment tool was missing from the open box?
matches.jpg

I actually had an 8-track recorder (wasn't much better than the player).

It looks like the CB radio is now headed down the same path as the 8-track.
Sorry for all the random thoughts. This post brought up a lot of memories.:thumbsup:

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I think it's just the novelty of the finding the old player for cheap and then seeing if it worked. It was worth the $15 just for the entertainment value and a good laugh when the radio crackled to life and then the tape player arose from the grave. To hear it start like a slow motion audio then start playing Elvis was great. I don't know if there ever was an alignment tool but all the original hook up stuff was there. It's as though the player was used then removed and stored for future use. Perhaps when the cassette players came out. Eventually I'll pony up and buy a nice retro looking newer radio that has Bluetooth so I can play through my phone, but honestly I never really missed not having a radio in the Jeep because the exhaust and wind drowns out the sound.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
A friend saw your Jeep at the Turkey Rod Run and snapped a pic and sent it to me. He commented how great it looked. Told him I had seen it in person too and was familiar with it.Radio is a cool addition. Happy holidays.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
but honestly I never really missed not having a radio in the Jeep because the exhaust and wind drowns out the sound.
I know what ya mean. I did not have any radio in my daily driver 11 second Mustang for 5 years because I loved the sound of the 5.0 and flowmasters. Had good speakers, an amp and subs but when the radio died one day, it lasted over 1800 days.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
A friend saw your Jeep at the Turkey Rod Run and snapped a pic and sent it to me. He commented how great it looked. Told him I had seen it in person too and was familiar with it.Radio is a cool addition. Happy holidays.
Thanks and Happy Holidays too.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I know what ya mean. I did not have any radio in my daily driver 11 second Mustang for 5 years because I loved the sound of the 5.0 and flowmasters. Had good speakers, an amp and subs but when the radio died one day, it lasted over 1800 days.

That's funny. I've been driving the Jeep around since I "finished" it with the radio hole in the dash and no speakers. I've gotten used to it so I just tell people if I get a radio then the Jeep will be done. Well not really but...

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Well it's that time of year again and I hope everyone has a Hearty and Happy Thanksgiving. This time of year is also time for the Turkey Rod Run at Daytona International Speedway. I've entered the Jeep every year since I finished it. Besides the event being predominantly a car show there's several older Jeeps, pick ups and a hodge podge of unique stuff to look at. I take my family and friends into the event riding in the Jeep and it's always a good time. If anyone needs a good reason to walk off all the holiday eatin this is a good way to do it.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
That certainly is a pretty engine. Certainly looks like a "show Jeep's" engine?

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Where are you located? I was there and looked for your scrambled but didn’t see it.