• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

VIN locations?

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
:confused:

Where is the OEM VIN number stamped on the frame or anywhere else?

My scrambler has no VIN plate, and has a state issued VIN and Body sticker.
(it was a re-assembled basket case with no title at some point)

I'd like to rectify that if possable

thanks

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Vin

The only places there was a VIN when I tore mine down was a sticker on the body under the driver door, a riveted tag with VIN and other information under the wiring harness on the firewall and another riveted tag on the wiper motor cover. Nothing on the frame.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I rebuilt an '83 frame last year and found the VIN stamped on top of the frame rail on the passenger side hump above the rear axle.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Frame Vin

Jeff is right....... I just went and checked mine and it is barely legible, but it is JC and the last digits that match the VIN for the body.

"1975 to 1986 Jeep CJ VIN numbers are usually located in several possible locations. You should find a tin plate on the drivers side firewall near the brake master cylinder. You may also find one on the drivers side dash or the inside body panel by the floor near the parking brake lever. On mid 80's models it should also appear on the windshield wiper motor cover inside the Jeep. An abbreviated version is usually found on the top of the passenger side frame rail above the rear wheel."

Last edited:

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
There is/was also a tag on the firewall under the hood to the right of the steering column.

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
At this point I have completely stripped 3 Scramblers, 2 81's and an 83.

All 3 had a the dash VIN tage on the wiper motor cover.

Not one had anything stamped on the frame. 1 81 frame was pretty bad, so it is possible something was there and just rusted away, but the other 81 and especially the 83 were in pretty good shape and neither had any stmap on them.

None of the three tubs had any VIN markings at all.

None had a VIN sticker. 2 had a manufacturer sticker but it did not have a VIN on it.

SO basiclaly I am yet to see one with anything other than the dash VIN.

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
My 1982 has the vin on the passenger side frame, on a sticker just below the driver's door on the body, and of course, on the dash plate.

At this point I have completely stripped 3 Scramblers, 2 81's and an 83.

All 3 had a the dash VIN tage on the wiper motor cover.

Not one had anything stamped on the frame. 1 81 frame was pretty bad, so it is possible something was there and just rusted away, but the other 81 and especially the 83 were in pretty good shape and neither had any stmap on them.

None of the three tubs had any VIN markings at all.

None had a VIN sticker. 2 had a manufacturer sticker but it did not have a VIN on it.

SO basiclaly I am yet to see one with anything other than the dash VIN.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
My CJ's have the vin number present on the firewall under the master cylinder, below the inside lip of the driver's door on a decal, the wiper motor cover dash plate, and stamped on the top of the passenger side frame rail above the rear tire.

The decal under the driver's door is most likely to not be present out of all the options (due to being removed, adhesive failing and it falling off, or painted/bed lined over) and the stamped vin number may be hard to see due to paint or rust but it should be there.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Sorry to resurrect a 20 year old thread...

I've got my Scrambler down to the frame now. Preparing to paint it.

I found this on the passenger side frame rail on the hump.

Does this mean my 1982 Scrambler was #5721 produced that year?

1583726053237.png

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Should match final numbers in vintage (vin, not vintage. Darn auto correct) and means it was the 5721st jeep off line. I believe all keeps (jeep, darn it again) were counted in that. CJs, Wagoneer, J trucks, etc...

Last edited:

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Should match final numbers in vintage, and means it was the 5721st jeep off line. I believe all keeps were counted in that. CJs, Wagoneer, J trucks, etc...
Thanks. It does match the last 4 of the VIN.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
Should match final numbers in vintage (vin, not vintage. Darn auto correct) and means it was the 5721st jeep off line. I believe all keeps (jeep, darn it again) were counted in that. CJs, Wagoneer, J trucks, etc...
Be nice to know what number was issued to the very first Scrambler and if it's still around.

Jk cj8

City
Lahore
State
Pu
Hi I know I am posting to this forum a year to late but recently I was looking to buy a car and it had a number on the frame that was not the vin . I was wondering what it might be. I have a cj8 1986.

Attachments

• 44A4D4A2-79E1-40A7-88D6-8F68D2F0CF8E.jpeg
    44A4D4A2-79E1-40A7-88D6-8F68D2F0CF8E.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 32

bdawgg

Silver Member
City
Greenwood
State
MO
My frame stamp has a 'J' for the plant code...what/where is that? It is also different than the body in that 11th position...the 11th position on the body VIN is a 'T' (for Toledo I guess).

So, why the difference in the 11th position?

The frame sequence Nbr is the same as the body Nbr.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Not to hijack a thread, but jk CJ8 says his is a 1986 Scrambler. In Peru? Possibly one of the very few exported in 1986? That’s only the second one I have heard about.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
My frame stamp has a 'J' for the plant code...what/where is that? It is also different than the body in that 11th position...the 11th position on the body VIN is a 'T' (for Toledo I guess).

So, why the difference in the 11th position?

The frame sequence Nbr is the same as the body Nbr.
The frame stamp is not a full vin. I believe it is only Mfg, Engine, and serial no. No plant code or trans or even model.