• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

walkerhoundvm's rebuild thread

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
My first full rebuild was a copper brown metallic. It's a sharp color even without the stripes.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Must be the reflection of the garage door, or my phone's screen. The brown is a great color.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If mine was originally copper brown, I too would repaint the factory color, same with green. I think those and blue were the best factory colors. But I like bold colors, white, silver, tan just are not as good. Tan can look sharp with the factory stripes.

Funny thing is mine are both factory white, and I have never been a huge fan of white vehicles.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Look after that shiny new paint now it looks amazing, i like it!
I'm already eyeing our local trails. First thing I plan to do when it's done is put a good scratch on it somewhere. I don't want the feeling of driving around on eggshells :) She won't be babied, but she won't be ran hard either. (y)

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
So exciting! It is looking great.

You know you don’t have to wait for a trail to get that first scratch. Wrenches can be just as useful as a tree :eek:

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
The 1E copper brown metallic is one of my absolute favorite colors, and yours looks fantastic!

Here it is on my 82, in original form. Hoping that when I get on this rebuild and have it painted, it looks as good as yours. Wow!

Attachments

• Roachchipley1.JPG
    Roachchipley1.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 24

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
So exciting! It is looking great.

You know you don’t have to wait for a trail to get that first scratch. Wrenches can be just as useful as a tree :eek:
Trees are hard to come by around here, I was thinking a patch of cholla ;) I'm sure there'll be other opportunities during assembly!

Thanks Hoov! This build has been coming on 10yrs of part hunting and only in the past year started picking up steam (with some help). The biggest hurdle is done, hoping we'll be wrapping up by this time next month!

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Spent today setting up the dash and the grill. Waiting on a new set of headlight trims before I can finish. Should be here tomorrow, thanks to Amazon!

IMG_20190824_173405.jpg

Speedhut clock and tach, OEM speedo with a fresh bit of paint on the dials. Can't get at the dials for the voltmeter and oil pressure gauges, and I know they're fragile anyway. OEM AM/FM cassette radio out of an AMC Spirit that I had restored. Had a set of Laredo dash decals I've been hauling around since we lived in Colorado, and they went on pretty smoothly. Just a tad off in the center stripe, but that copper stripe on the copper paint looks phenomenal!

While setting things up I got some pretty bad news about my father - he was diagnosed this week with pancreatic cancer which had already metastasized to his liver. I know I've posted this photo before, but I'm so glad I have it because it really captures who he is.

RDT_20181112_1733398334297846374313392.jpg

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
That's an incredible looking dash, great job! My 82 CJ7 had the same color scheme, but never looked that good. Very nice work-

Edit: Didn't read all the way through. Truly heartbroken to read that news, Walkerhound. I lost two of those very close to me from cancer this year, and hope things go better with your father. My heartfelt thoughts go out to you and yours during this time.

With my thoughts,
Hoover

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
That's an incredible looking dash, great job! My 82 CJ7 had the same color scheme, but never looked that good. Very nice work-

Edit: Didn't read all the way through. Truly heartbroken to read that news, Walkerhound. I lost two of those very close to me from cancer this year, and hope things go better with your father. My heartfelt thoughts go out to you and yours during this time.

With my thoughts,
Hoover

Thanks Hoov. Seems silly to post personal stuff on a jeep site, but it helps writing about it and it's interesting to read through all the ups and downs of a long term build like this one sometimes. Ten years ago when I bought this CJ, I wasn't talking to my parents over something that seems trivial now. Oh to be able to go back in time.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
No dude, I don't think it's silly at all. Real life happens, even outside of our somewhat blinded, and oft times, lop-sided love for these old AMC vehicles and moreover, how we document our progress in places like this. As I'm sure you're well aware, behind all these posts is someone who has a real life, and deals with life-changing issues. IMHO, sharing things like this makes us more alike than just our fascination with these rigs. Took me a while to get back in the shop and working on mine after my experiences, and it's been good therapy. If it's possible, keep working on yours. I'm sure I'm not the only one watching.

Best,
Hoov