• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

We did a thing... wife's Jeep Renegade

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks like the axle articulation makes them easy to work on?? :unsure:

That’s the thing that people have long criticized the H1 Hummers about, no articulation. I say it doesn’t matter one tiny bit how many tires are on the ground if you can keep moving forward.

That’s exactly where the ones out at the Jeep media days in Moab taught me to think differently about articulation. They teeter and three-wheel really easy, but if you let the 4wd system do it’s thing, you make it up stuff I couldn’t believe.

Not a CJ or Wrangler, obviously, and it feels way weird but they’re more capable than you’d think.

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
And if we are showing off even though its probably not a "proper truck" in the US market here is my latest acquisition a still shiny 2018 Toyota Hilux.

Oh no, the US market is JEALOUS! We can't get a Hilux here... We've been begging for a diesel Toyota, and haven't got it. Honestly, it would probably be the best selling truck in the country and Toyota hasn't pulled the trigger yet, despite every other truck manufacturer in the US offering one.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
That’s the thing that people have long criticized the H1 Hummers about, no articulation. I say it doesn’t matter one tiny bit how many tires are on the ground if you can keep moving forward.

That’s exactly where the ones out at the Jeep media days in Moab taught me to think differently about articulation. They teeter and three-wheel really easy, but if you let the 4wd system do it’s thing, you make it up stuff I couldn’t believe.

Not a CJ or Wrangler, obviously, and it feels way weird but they’re more capable than you’d think.

Know what you are saying I have a friend who has a KJ he drives all over he gets a lot of pleasure just seeing where it will go and trying to find a line he can take to get him up a hill a CJ would walk up.
Enjoy the new motor!

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
And if we are showing off even though its probably not a "proper truck" in the US market here is my latest acquisition a still shiny 2018 Toyota Hilux.

I would buy a Hilux in a heartbeat if they were available here in Canada.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
You won't need the car locator horn to find that in a parking lot. Sure enough, me and the little woman are thinking about buying the same one, well maybe a different color. o_O Give us an update, so I know if I should recommend it to her. Last time I did on a 2015 Chevy Trax, I have heard nothing but bitching ever sense. (sorry about swearing again):sneaky:

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
The Hilux was in America until 94. But they didn't go by that name. It was just pickup. The Tacoma replaced it. I had a 94 pickup up until my kids came along. It was just too small for a family of four. Oh man I miss that truck. I very very brutally beat the crap out of that thing and it didn't care one bit.

As far as the renegade goes... I actually think they are kinda neat looking. I personally don't really consider them Jeeps, but I think as a daily driver they would be fun. If there is one thing I will give Chrysler credit for are their unique colors and decals. Some of them are very sharp looking.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
our "we did a thing" came 9 weeks ago when my wife told me she was tired of her baby hauler (2012 GC Overland HEMI) and wanted something fun. I was expecting some sort of sports car but she had already built what she wanted on-line and had her laptop ready to show me.

We drove to the dealership the next day and ordered a JL Rubicon with every option except hardtop and leather. Got the call this morning it came in. We pick it up later today. Here's a pic the dealer sent right after it was unloaded.

We were able to sell her GC about 3 weeks ago private sale.

I realized we'll have three 1st year Jeeps in the stable:

'81 Scrambler
'07 JKUR
'18JLUR

6.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Well, I guess I'll add my wife's to the thread.
TH.jpg
(My wife purposely blurred the background)
It is literally a grocery getter for her business. :shrug:

I realized that I've turned into a collector. I don't know how to get rid of Jeeps.
I now have:
'83 CJ-8
'93 ZJ
'06 LJR
'19 WK2

Also, still have my tow rig.
Definitely plan on trimming down the herd. :(

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The wife is enjoying the Renegade still and we haven't had any issues with it other than she said that the backup camera didn't turn on a couple times for her when in reverse. Works most of the time, so we know if we take it in to the dealer, they'll just find it's fine :rolleyes: So we'll mention it if we take it in for something else or if it quits more regularly.

With her JK, I couldn't make myself wait for the "change oil" message and I did it when I thought it was needed anyway (3-4k miles). With this thing and the tiny engine, I decided I'm going to go purely by the message. It almost KILLED ME that it didn't ask for an oil change until just shy of 8k miles :eek:

I am happy to report that this is the easiest oil change vehicle I've ever dealt with. No jack needed, easily accessible plug and the oil filter is located beautifully right up front and oriented vertically with plenty of room to get an oil filter wrench on it. I was SO thrilled to see that.

Mods:
Installed a high-flow air filter :shrug: and GoPedal Plus from Madness Autoworks.

The one thing that was driving me nuts with the Renegade was what I called the "dead spot" or lag in the gas pedal (fly-by-wire, of course.) It was in the first 25% or so of the throw and it was aggrivating.

The GoPedal Plus is a bluetooth unit that plugs into the pedal harness and allows you to select from predefined maps or customize your own. The "Sport" mode is the way the thing should be stock IMO (there's ECO, Sport, Individual, Kids (you set max power between 50 and 100%), Protect (disables throttle completely, car can be started, but no ability to drive), and Valet (20, 30 or 40% power max).

It is a little pricey, but well worth it IMO for sport mode alone. Realistically, the Jeep (and any fly-by-wire vehicle) should have this functionality built in since it's so easy to do in the software. There should just be a screen to do this on the control center with a password control.

I'll be trying to source wheels and tires at SEMA to go with the Teraflex lift I have to install. Looking forward to getting more interesting tires on this thing.

IMG_7402.JPG

IMG_9008.PNG

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
One of the guys in my local Jeep club has one with only a 2 inch lift and slightly bigger tires. Wheelin with him these last few weeks I gotta say I was very impressed with how much that little thing could tackle. I didn't think he would get through a fraction of the obstacles that he did.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The Cherokees, Rengades and Grands all are much more capable than CJ/Wrangler folks want to admit. Especially the Trailhawks with the “rock” setting. The traction control settings actually work. You just have to accept that there will be a lot of three wheeling and teetering.

I have had fun in all of them at the Jeep media day in Moab.

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
That is a Purdy truck though. I have been wondering about those smaller diesels. Would like to know more about them. Give us some facts.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I for one love the little Renegades. We rented one and drove it all over Florida with our two kids. It was a little tight but I really enjoyed the Jeep for what is was made to do.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
our "we did a thing" came 9 weeks ago when my wife told me she was tired of her baby hauler (2012 GC Overland HEMI) and wanted something fun. I was expecting some sort of sports car but she had already built what she wanted on-line and had her laptop ready to show me.

We drove to the dealership the next day and ordered a JL Rubicon with every option except hardtop and leather. Got the call this morning it came in. We pick it up later today. Here's a pic the dealer sent right after it was unloaded.

We were able to sell her GC about 3 weeks ago private sale.

I realized we'll have three 1st year Jeeps in the stable:

'81 Scrambler
'07 JKUR
'18JLUR

View attachment 64168

Make sure to inspect the front track bar mount welds on the frame after what has been happening to them.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Make sure to inspect the front track bar mount welds on the frame after what has been happening to them.

Ours went through the extra 2 week quality testing as well as my inspection. All welds look great. Crazy what some are experiencing

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I was behind an older gent filling up in a gas station recently and he had just purchased one of these Renegades. He was so proud of it and was comparing the off road capabilities with my Scrambler telling me that his was "Trail Rated". I was accommodating and told him that it would be great in the snow and how fortunate he was to have one. Sorry guys but I just can't get my head around the fact that it is a FIAT! Good God, there are soooo many SUV's out there and I'm sure that they all have their qualities but IT IS NOT A JEEP. Sorry if I come across as a purist but in my experience the Italians are good at building great sports cars and nothing else that doesn't require a LOT of maintenance. I'm very much interested in following your experience with this. I hope it changes my mind.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Driving a my CJ 5 was like that is spent more time on 3 wheels than any of the other Jeeps I have driven, but with the lockers it just kept going.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Update and getting a little big...

So she's got 50k miles on this now and we haven't had to do one thing other than oil changes. I do have to top up the oil between the ~8k mile changes. (Also the easiest vehicle I've ever owned for doing an oil change. Someone actually thought about the mechanics of draining the oil and pulling the filter without contorting like a gymnast or dumping oil on anything! What a crazy idea!) She absolutely loves it and it's been great for us so far.
IMG_3712.JPG
We have worn out the stock tires, so it was finally time to lift it. I've had a Teraflex 1.5" lift for a while waiting for these tires to be used up, so I dusted it off this weekend and got it on.

Went on easily enough, some of the instructions list the wrong socket sizes for some of the steps and the bolts on the rear lower track bars were difficult to loosen/tighten. A handful of extensions and cordless impacts made it easier. Struts are the same, so there's nothing to settle out, so you get the full height of the spacers.

Before:
IMG_3713.JPG

After:
IMG_3724.JPG

Need to get it in for an alignment and get the wheels/tires here and mounted.

Planning to go with Rugged Ridge TREK wheels and 225/65/17 BFG KO2s. Found this photo of the exact lift size (but Daystar vs Teraflex) and wheel/tire combo online on the same color Renegade (this one is the Euro diesel version). I really think they all should have been built like this factory, they just look "right" with a little more tire under them.
storm renegade.jpg