• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What did you do with your Scrambler today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
This is a popular thread on some of the other forums I frequent, so I thought I'd start one here.

This weekend was a watersports weekend, but Sunday was the best. Loaded the float tubes into the Scrambler, drove to Bend to float the Deschutes River. Had to stop at 10Barrel Brewing on the way for some pizza and beer. Nothing beats a sunny day, roof off, cruising the Scrambler, etc.:cheers:

tiber

Basic User
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
The Scrambler performed one of it's primary roles this weekend - it hauled 2 sets of golf clubs to and from a country club. :cool:

On a serious note - it can't really go very far yet as I'm struggling with 2 separate engine-related issues.
I have a rebuilt 258 with the Howell TBI (2800 miles on it all), and experience the pinging under load I have read about in numerous forum threads. Curious thing about most of those threads... haven't really found a definitive resolution listed, and unfortunately do not trust the one real jeep shop in our area to work on it.
2nd engine related issue is that I have excessive oil headed out the tailpipe. I've also read various threads on this - using the Westlake aluminum valve cover, and have conflicting reports on whether or not the baffles are needed/desired. My valve cover does not have the front baffle / engine does have hi-volume oil pump / mechanic is experimenting with more vacuum (not effective as I noticed this weekend).

I recently joined this forum and can tell I will really appreciate all the collective knowledge here... I need to put up a thread with some pictures and will try to get that done this week.

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Welcome to the forum!! The pinging might be addressed by playing with the timing - you might need to back it off a bit (turn it clockwise a smidge). You can adjust the timing by ear, with a vacuum gauge connected to one of the PCV ports, or by using a timing light. That would be my guess. You may also need to go through the whole TBI start-up specs, namely the IAC set-up found in the Howell manual. Don't have a link off-hand, but if you need the basics, post up and I can run through it pretty quickly.

Oil out of the tailpipe - is it coming from the exhaust, or is that some sort of description? Any idea where it's coming from? Sounds like you think it's the valve cover? Pictures would help out a lot.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
I was literally logging in to the forum here to see if I could find a thread to post this in.

This is what I did with mine....yesterday.
Pine trees on their way down. I hate pines. Love trees but pines have no place in my yard. First type of tree to come down in a storm. Great for lumber.

Bucket2.jpg

Bucket1.jpg

Last edited:

VONMAN

Legacy Registered User
City
Commerce
State
MI
Completed 4 hours of highway driving at 75 mph with no top or doors over the weekend. Funny how that is a feeling of accomplishment.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I drove mine to the Post Office. A short drive, but at least I got it out of the garage.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Oil change yesterday, then drove it to work today, like everyday. Top down. Lovely way to start the day. Love it.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Still sitting in the paint booth at my in-laws. Been way too hot to do much work on it but I did get some more parts ordered!

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I drove it to pick up Chinese food. mmmmm

Tonight I'm going to change the muffler before bed.

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Replaced the emergency brake pedal and release assembly with an NOS unit that I purchased a couple of weeks ago from eBay.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
Continued to install numerous parts that have been purchased over the past 7 months (I just got back from Indonesia and am currently on vacation). Today I installed two sets of LED lights under the dash for courtesy lights, as well as a NOS under-hood light.

Once I had the lights installed, I washed and polished the Jeep and then my son and I loaded up the trailer with WMD's and headed to the desert to prepare for the Zombie Apocalypse! Nothing like dirtying a clean Jeep!

I am loving the rear RockHard safety cage that I installed last week, it really sets the Jeep off well not to mention that it protects the newly installed 3rd seat. :bacon::bacon:

IMG_7274-1.jpg
"]

IMG_7254-1.jpg

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
I took my sons and a friend of theirs out to look for snapping turtles on Friday. I haven't driven the CJ in a really long time, so it felt real good to get it out and get it a little dirty. Due to the drought, there wasn't as much mud and water as usual, but we did come home with a new pet for Uncle Bob. Then drove out to Chatsworth to the Hot Diggity Dog hot dog stand for some lunch. A beautiful day for a ride with the kids.
Sadly, I also got a close look at the damage the morons are doing to the Pines: tearing up meadows and marshes, running down trees to make new trails, and generally just destroying the area. I hope there is something left for my boys to enjoy when they get their own Jeeps some day.

Last edited:

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I sat on the side of the road in 95+* heat vaporlocked, was the head and efi worth it, not so fn much

I think it's for sale

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
I sat on the side of the road in 95+* heat vaporlocked, was the head and efi worth it, not so fn much

I think it's for sale

Been there done that.
....with the wife and our 3 year old, total darkness, mosquitoes the size of mockingbirds, middle of nowhere NE Arkansas rice patty land.
Suck doesn't even begin to describe it.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Got back from the beach Sunday so me and dad went to pick up our CJ7 known as "the Diamond" that we dropped off at the mechanic for a little tuning to get the 304 to run and idle correctly. And used it to go get diesel since I ran my truck dry coming home from work.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Loaded up the rear with 11x 30kg bags of pot hole filler. back wheels rubbed when turning left...

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Took my american bulldog to the vet in it this afternoon. He seemed to enjoy the ride. Forgot to take a pic though.

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS

I think it's for sale

Single line or two line manifold:(:shrug:

I have the two line set up, feed and return, and have drove close to 18 hours straight at 75 mph in 90+ degree heat without issue, probably just cursed myself:fingerscrossed:

Status
Not open for further replies.