• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What parts from other AMC's also fit Scramblers?

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
Let's say your walking through a junkyard looking for Jeep parts. If I don't see much Jeep stuff but I happen up on a Gremlin or a Spirit, or a Concord or any other of the AMC cars, what are some parts that are essentially the same as Jeep parts? The drive train is a no brainer, just want to make sure I don't miss some good stuff I could use.

Domin8

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Astoria
State
NY
Let's say your walking through a junkyard looking for Jeep parts. If I don't see much Jeep stuff but I happen up on a Gremlin or a Spirit, or a Concord or any other of the AMC cars, what are some parts that are essentially the same as Jeep parts? The drive train is a no brainer, just want to make sure I don't miss some good stuff I could use.

Lock cylinders? Original AMC branded keys? Not likely to find in a junkyard, just the first thing that jumped into my mind, but then again, it's pretty empty in there!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Steering wheels. The glove box lock on a 78/79 Javelin, AMX is the same as the Jeep center console lock.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
I read somewhere that the radio was the same on one of the cars, don't hold me to this but I was thinking it might have been a Spirit but I can't confirm this. I know the CJ radios have to be kinda thin due to the close fit of the gauges above them. If nothing else the knobs and face plate may be the same.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Delay wiper setup is probably the same. (80's Bronco setups looks the same but do not work).

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Delay wiper setup is probably the same. (80's Bronco setups looks the same but do not work).

Yep. found one on FleaBay several years ago and it plugged right in.

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Texas, when you say "plugged right in" did you already have a delay setup or did you plug it right into the existing harness and it has the delay built into the switch?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
You get the switch and a "delay" box and it plugs right into the motor. You need the proper wiper motor though. Gotta have the right # of wires.
IMAG0587.jpg

Attachments

• KIMG0556.jpg
    KIMG0556.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 8

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I read somewhere that the radio was the same on one of the cars, don't hold me to this but I was thinking it might have been a Spirit but I can't confirm this. I know the CJ radios have to be kinda thin due to the close fit of the gauges above them. If nothing else the knobs and face plate may be the same.
Yup, that post was from me. The radio from a spirit is the same as a Jeep radio. It looks different at first glance because of the different/taller faceplate. The cj faceplate bolts right on. I did this in my 84 scrambler.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I think the dash mounted ashtray is the same as some AMC car.
s-l640.jpg

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Some of the late 70's / early 80's AMCs with floor shift automatics use the same plastic shift boot, rod and knob as the Postals and Overlanders. Worth some money for these owners. Some interior knobs are the same. Probably other random stuff, too.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Texas, when you say "plugged right in" did you already have a delay setup or did you plug it right into the existing harness and it has the delay built into the switch?
Sorry I am late replying. Don't get on here too often anymore. It plugged right into the harness. Literally a plug and play deal.