• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Bench is filling up... need to do some cleaning soon or I will be out of room... another mud flap is off and in nice shape.

20200629_185816_resized.jpg

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
The steering wheel on my Jeep is a plastic piece of junk that new was not very good looking anyway, but over the years has cracked. I saw someone make a nice looking wood steering wheel. I know I have no real wood working skills so I asked my brother who does if he would attempt making one and he agreed to give it a try. Here is what he started with, which I bought out of a Jeep yard in Cali and I removed the hard rubber and cleaned it up and sent to him.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
That is very impressive... the time taken to measure the finger wells and make sure they are all in the right spots and work well... how did he bond it to the metal?

I have an extra center section from an old renegade I took apart that sat outside too long, now you have peaked my interest... although wood is not the medium I have much experience with (outside of bird houses).

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Thanks... The metal ring welded in solves a lot of the problems I had in my head.
I was hoping an all over lock down, not just the 3 point as that is how the plastic was in the one I had.

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
@Belizeit That wheel is amazing. Kudos to your brother. ?
Thanks ! Yeah he really came through. First one is always the difficult one. He had to start from scratch a few times because of mistakes and it was a learning process and also he was not satisfied with the work. He was not going to send something with flaws he said.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
That is very impressive... the time taken to measure the finger wells and make sure they are all in the right spots and work well... how did he bond it to the metal?

I have an extra center section from an old renegade I took apart that sat outside too long, now you have peaked my interest... although wood is not the medium I have much experience with (outside of bird houses).

cb
Titebond 2 he said he looked into a few others but went with that

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Thanks ! Yeah he really came through. First one is always the difficult one. He had to start from scratch a few times because of mistakes and it was a learning process and also he was not satisfied with the work. He was not going to send something with flaws he said.
Maybe I missed it, but what type of wood did he use? And you have to post pics when you get it installed.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Maybe I missed it, but what type of wood did he use? And you have to post pics when you get it installed.
Cherry. Got an engine / transfer case / transmission project going on. Until that is complete it will be stored, but I will take pictures when installed :thumbsup:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Had to cut off the rear cross member to get at the bolts... they are frozen in there... it is a bummer, chrome is nice all over except in the inside.
We will see how these shine up.

cb

20200708_183123_resized.jpg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I've covered a lot of steering wheels. The Base Model wheel felt so skimpy after doing the other styles up so nice. I'm trying to keep this Base Model Scrambler mostly like original. So I covered the Base wheel and it feels better and seems more proportionate to me. Then I did another. Haven't even cleaned the chalk marks off of the one I installed. That wood wheel up above is a real work of art. . .really looks good!

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 37

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Picked up a bunch of these. Mostly all gone now. Had one set of Scrambler end caps left to put on Ebay and an Early set left for the 77 to 79 Jeep truck bumpers. I was asked to make the end caps for the 80 era Honcho bumper. Will get started on that in probably a week. This should cover any end caps needed for our Scramblers and trucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 23

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Helping a friend in Oklahoma this week and find this shoved in the corner. She said it was an old junk tire. Lol. Worth more than the disposal fee?
20200723_174055.jpg