• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's on your Work Bench?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I only changed the plugs once on our Expedition wit the 5.4 engine. Luckily I learned about the issue before trying to pull the plugs. I got 7 out cleanly but the 8th broke. And it was, of course, in the worst position to work on. I used the impact wrench method I saw somewhere. Warmed it up and hit it with the impact. The removal tool got the last one out. Then, about 4 months later, my then 17 year old son totaled the Expedition by rear ending a stopped Prius. So I won't need to deal with those plugs ever again.
The work truck with the 5.4 got in a wreck shortly after the initial plug change. Unfortunately for me it was not totalled :rotfl:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Rebuilding the close to 8 year old Harbor Freight trailer. All the wood is rotten/smashed/cracked, and the axle/hubs/bearings/seals/tires and wheels are shot. It has exceeded my expectations, I figured it would have only lasted a year or two. It is only rated for like 1200 pounds, but hauled 2 cubic yards of dirt on it for 22 trips until the tongue arms snapped!!!! It has been caught on stumps and ripped off of them, backed into trees repeatedly, and pushed down the cliff to the river and winched back up countless times. I got my $450 total initial investment out of it, and then some!!!!

20230304_092759.jpg

This was a sheet of 3/4 treated plywood. It has spent it's entire life outside in the weather. Amazed it lasted this long.

20230304_105733_HDR.jpg

Sweeping up pieces of the deck!!!

20230304_105737.jpg

A sawzall, screw gun, impact wrench, and about 30 minutes.

20230304_111353_HDR.jpg

Straightening up the rear cross member with C-clamps, and a big hammer, RedneckRay style.

20230304_134612_HDR.jpg

The bent axle. I attempted to straighten it with the Warn 9500 a year or two ago, made it better, but not much LOL!!! That would explain the funny tire wear pattern!!!

20230304_141816.jpg

20230304_162203.jpg

And mostly complete with the axle swap. The hub seals felt a little loose in the back of the hubs and the hub caps were too tight to drive in on the face of the hubs.

20230304_190231.jpg

Need to install some new trailer lights and wires before I re-deck it. Might go back with a sheet of 1/2 HDPE/Starboard which would last forever. But, around $350 vs another sheet of 3/4" treated plywood. Unfortunately, all the steel is powder coated which makes touch ups impossible. I will probably knock off the loose flakey stuff and hit it with some spray bombs. All the steel is solid. That was enough for today.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Got the new trailer deck installed yesterday, should outlast the trailer!!!

20230311_124220.jpg

Four "pockets" machined out, one at each corner, to allow the deck to sit flush over the bolt heads that hold the side pieces to the front/rear cross members. And then, marking/drilling/installing the 26 3/8" carriage bolts that secure the deck to the trailer frame. 26 nuts that can only be tightened with a wrench from the bottom. I also loosely ran/routed the wiring for the lights and fabricated light mounting brackets. Not 100% on light location, kind of vulnerable, might revisit this once I add the side panels.

20230311_173001_HDR.jpg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Got the new trailer deck installed yesterday, should outlast the trailer!!!

View attachment 108442

Four "pockets" machined out, one at each corner, to allow the deck to sit flush over the bolt heads that hold the side pieces to the front/rear cross members. And then, marking/drilling/installing the 26 3/8" carriage bolts that secure the deck to the trailer frame. 26 nuts that can only be tightened with a wrench from the bottom. I also loosely ran/routed the wiring for the lights and fabricated light mounting brackets. Not 100% on light location, kind of vulnerable, might revisit this once I add the side panels.

View attachment 108443
That 3/4" Starboard and the 3/8" bolts should've created a very sturdy trailer. :cheers:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
How much did that 8' x4.5' piece cost you?

It was around $425 after tax. You can find it cheaper on the internet but shipping costs are high. The same sheet in Biloxi was $475 before tax, so worth the short drive to New Orleans. Stuff is not cheap but should last forever.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
New seat belts installed today. Right wiper linkage is being replaced as the press fit one that's been in for 10+ years gave up the ghost. And reworking the gasket/weatherstrip at the top of the windshield/top. Getting it ready for this event in a few weeks.

Ridz By the River Truckfest

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
More piddling with the HF trailer. On the initial build, I was in a rush to use it, so I simply screwed the side together. This time, 3/8 bolts and thick angle braces. The rebuilt trailer will be way better then the first iteration.

20230319_142745.jpg

Ground contact rated 2x4's, 1/2" thick treated plywood sides, galvanized 3/8" carriage bolts, angle bracing, and some more goodies still to come....... Worse then a Jeep build!!!