• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Won't move.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
My Scrambler with I6 and T5 gets moved 3 times a year when I move it out of the garage and have a truck back in with a ton of pellets for my shop pellet stove. Today I moved it out, and when I went to put it away, it wouldn't move. Checked the transfer case and it shifted fine. I can put it in any gear and let the clutch out and it sounds like there is a little something spinning but it won't move and it doesn't die. Visually, the clutch linkage looks fine. Is there something in the transmission that could have snapped? I don't really have time to work on it now, but if it were something simple, I'd fix it. Anyone got a clue?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
The brakes may be rusted in place. I’ve had that happen to me a few times when I don’t drive them.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Did you try shifting it into 4wd and locking the hubs to see it the front axle operated? Wondering if the transfer case shifter might have somehow disengaged and not shifting the the 2wd -4wd rail into the correct position... Just spitballing here. :shrug:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Will it roll while in gear with the parking brake released?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Did you try shifting it into 4wd and locking the hubs to see it the front axle operated? Wondering if the transfer case shifter might have somehow disengaged and not shifting the the 2wd -4wd rail into the correct position... Just spitballing here. :shrug:
Good Spitballing. Locked the hubs and it moves. Nice to be able to put it away again. So what so quietly broke?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If locking the front hubs allows it to move, I’d look at the transfer case. Might have an issue where the rear shift rail is not working, but the front shift rail is.

Very odd though for it to not work correctly. Did some of the shift linkage become disconnected?

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Wow, good deal. Glad to help. Next, I'd double check where the shifter engages the shift rails to make sure everything is configured properly- Thinking one of the pins attaching the shifter handle to the rail has been dislodged, and the rail is no longer actuating.

1608695119510.png

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Thank you all for your responses. I'll check out the TC shifting rails and parts. If it wasn't for the helpful members of this forum coming up with possibilities, my Scrambler would be sitting out in the rain instead of being out of the weather in the garage where it belongs tonight. Thanks again.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I think @John N has it... I immediately thought of when I spun the 2 piece axle... at the middle of an intersection.

If the driveshaft is spinning, it is the rear, if it is not spinning then I have to think the trans case is in Neutral.

For something to "snap" in the TC, you would have heard something pop pretty loudly.

Good luck.

Craig

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
My 2nd Scrambler that I bought in 1998 would only move in 4wd. It had a spun shaft in the rear axle.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
If it does turn out to be a spun axle and hub, I have a good axle and hub assembly from a wide track AMC 20 collecting dust in the shop you're welcome to. I spun one some time back, and went back with a solid set.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I also have a widetrack 20 rear axle. Just sitting here doing nothing. It’s complete 3.54 gears, but no brakes inside the drums. The housing has been powder coated but it was rough before that. I have no use for it.
I still have to dig out that carb too. Life has been too complicated lately.