• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Won't start

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
I have an '85 w/4.2 258. It won't start and I'm looking for help. Please bare in mind that I'm not a mechanic and I'm still learning (even though I've had it 18 years. Lol). I do know that it's not getting fuel to the carb. It was running fine in November when I had to park 'er for the year. Anyway, this is what I've done to remedy whatever is going on.
1. Changed the fuel filter cause this has helped in the past plus its cheap and easy.
2. Changed the fuel pump.
3 and on. Placed a plastic bottle at the end of the line that runs from the pump, to the filter, hoping to catch fuel but nothing came out. Then I took the line off that goes into the fuel pump. I put my finger over the inlet of the fuel pump hoping to feel suction. Nothing. Now, I'm not sure how much I should feel or if it's even a noticeable amount. This was a new pump. I ordered another pump from U.S. Motor Works. I haven't had a chance to install it yet.
Things I'm thinking could be the problem.
- bad pump even though it's new.
- i installed it incorrectly.
- something wrong between the tank and pump. That worries me the most.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Hoping to avoid taking her to the shop.
Thank you for your time.
Pete.

Attachments

• 20240329_110931.jpg
    20240329_110931.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 9

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I have an '85 w/4.2 258. It won't start and I'm looking for help. Please bare in mind that I'm not a mechanic and I'm still learning (even though I've had it 18 years. Lol). I do know that it's not getting fuel to the carb. It was running fine in November when I had to park 'er for the year. Anyway, this is what I've done to remedy whatever is going on.
1. Changed the fuel filter cause this has helped in the past plus its cheap and easy.
3 and on. Placed a plastic bottle at the end of the line that runs from the pump, to the filter, hoping to catch fuel but nothing came out. Then I took the line off that goes into the fuel pump. I put my finger over the inlet of the fuel pump hoping to feel suction. Nothing. Now, I'm not sure how much I should feel or if it's even a noticeable amount. This was a new pump. I ordered another pump from U.S. Motor Works. I haven't had a chance to install it yet.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Hoping to avoid taking her to the shop.
Thank you for your time.
Pete.
I've had different instances where the carb wasn't getting fuel, but the simple test for any of those issues is to take a hose from the supply side of the pump and place it in a container of gasoline.
If you secure the container out of the way of any moving parts you can attempt to start the engine or at least get fuel flowing to the carb.

If that works out there are a few things to look for:
1. Low fuel level (don't rely on the gauge)
2. Obstruction in the fuel line from the tank
3. Cracked rubber fuel line above tank to hard line
4. Clogged filter on the pickup in the tank

You didn't mention what was done when parked or prior to starting, but I would really have concerns on the condition of the gas in the tank.

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Thank you. Prior to parked it was running well. I didn't have a ton of fuel in the tank but I've added 6 gallons since trying to get her running this spring.

Dumb question and I apologize. You said to take a hose from the supply side of the pump and place it in a container of gas. Does that mean I'm bypassing the pump altogether and running directly into the fuel filter?
Or am I placing a hose in a gas can and attaching to the suction side of the fuel pump?
I'm hoping it's just bad fuel pump luck. Although I have never had the tank down or replaced any lines from the tank forward.

Thank you for your time.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Or am I placing a hose in a gas can and attaching to the suction side of the fuel pump?
Yes, you are basically bypassing the fuel tank/ associated components, and fuel lines with a fuel can.
This will simulate a functioning fuel tank/fuel lines and give you a quick test to determine in what area to look for the issue.

It's basically to help divide the entire fuel system into manageable parts.

If you don't get flow to the carb with this test...
leave the temporary tank setup and start working your way from the pump to the carb.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
95% chance the fuel pickup in the tank is rusted or clogged. The new blends of fuel do not play well with the older metal in tank components.

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Thank you both. I'll work on it. One way or another, it'll get going.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Just keep posting questions here.
Many knowledgeable members.

If/when it's determined you have to drop the tank we'll have more input of things to address.

BTW, is it a steel or plastic tank?

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Just to ask, this is a mechanical pump isn't it - i.e. will only get flow when you crank it.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Is it possible that the fuel pump arm is in the wrong position causing it to not work?

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Yes. Very possible lol. I know it's supposed to rest on top of the cam shaft. I believe it is. When I installed it, the pump leaned back. I had to put a bunch of pressure on it to get the threads to align.
Is there a cam shaft nut that I could use to move the cam into a better position for installation? I read that there might be but I don't know where itv is.

Thank you for responding

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Yes. Very possible lol. I know it's supposed to rest on top of the cam shaft. I believe it is. When I installed it, the pump leaned back. I had to put a bunch of pressure on it to get the threads to align.
Is there a cam shaft nut that I could use to move the cam into a better position for installation? I read that there might be but I don't know where itv is.

Thank you for responding
You can bump the engine over a bit to rotate the cam to a different position.

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
By bump I assume you mean turn it over. If so, I've tried and it seems as if it's always in the exact same spot. I've looked in with a flashlight and really looks to be in the same place every time.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Mark the harmonic balancer to determine what position you are in the rotation.

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
I'm gonna okay as if i understand but i don't totally. I'll do some research. Good news is that I'm learning. Sucky news is that I wish I knew more.

Thank you for your reply.

RockTractor

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
IIRC correctly (it's been a while since I had a mechanical pump)- you could remove the pump (keeping the tank side fuel line connected) and hand-actuate the lever to see if the pump works.... you should be able to get fuel out the the pump outlet (carb side).

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Everyone made the suggestions I'd have: gas can to inlet of pump, hand actuate the pump, arm might be under the pump lobe.

It's not uncommon for there to be a bad pump right out of the box, unfortunately.

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Weather should be better Friday. I'll give that a shot then. Thank you all for your suggestions. I absolutely appreciate it.

prusko

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Forest Hill
State
Md
Thank you for your time.
Pete.
Update: I was, manually, able to get fuel through the pump. I believe that narrows it to an issue between the tank and the pump.