• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Yea I'm into old Jeeps

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
My wife loves the Commandos and we looked at one for sale near me. Screaming deal for what it was but the paint had been done in the most unfortunate purple/brown and was too nice to redo. Couldn’t get past the color and we just didn’t have the room anyway. Was surprised she even wanted to look at it.

So sad to see them sitting and rotting, but the sagging scoop always makes me cringe. Such a horrible idea and always looks SO awful.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I love this line " Improbable to have two under the same tree. " its great Walker! very true they only made like under 1000 of these, going from memory, and one year only. They are quite ugly in my opinion. I do like the regular ones tho 67-71.
It's be like having two Jambos, a white one and a gold one, parked under the same tree. Improbable and depressing at the same time.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had a really cool 70 Jeepster when I got my 82 Scrambler. My wife loved it, probably more than the Scrambler. I found the Jeepster while looking for a Scrambler. I ended up selling it to Jeff White when I had to decide which one to keep. (I also had a 72 Bullnose Commando too, but never got it going). Anyways, I’ve had my eye on a Jeepster in a tow yard for over 10 years now. I call about once a year- always the same story- not for sale. Someday.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
My buddies.
Originally orange, SC1.

Attachments

• A08721CA-10B7-4C4B-8C50-8B2385B89E76.png
    A08721CA-10B7-4C4B-8C50-8B2385B89E76.png
    621.4 KB · Views: 24

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I had a colleague just pick one up in pretty good condition for $3k. Someone started a project and lost interest... they even had bought a new set of springs with it... my guy didn’t even want the commando...he was looking for a scout

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
those are 67-71

I meant others than the Hurst version, as referenced in the under the same tree line.... I like 67-71 best, and by saying - excluding the bullnose 72-73 front end, which is even worse IMHO. I really like what you did to yours putting the CJ nose on it. That to me is really the best overall looking way to build a commando. :twocents:

Last edited:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
1587982394263.jpeg

1587982476658.jpeg

My 68 project. Has CJ axles with 86 Dana 44, custom springs, and is just a roller the way I found it. Might do a CJ nose but first to get it running under its own power.

As far as into old Jeeps I’ve got a bit of a bug but not nearly as bad as 76-86 CJs.... This one, 64 FC170, 63 J-300 dually, 62 gladiator , 64 Wag...48 CJ2a, and another 2a roller.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I've always enjoyed seeing pics of this one... what was involved in converting the front end? 72-73s are pretty common and expensive around here, but can't stand the bull nose.
I put a CJ front on my Bullnose. It all bolted right up, but the bottom of the fenders where it meets the body doesn’t match up cosmetically. I’ve got a pic somewhere ... Found them. The first pic shows it with CJ fenders, the second 2 with YJ fenders. Jersey, If you ever want to sell yours...
e-bay pics 048.jpgScrambler soft top 024.jpgScrambler soft top 026.jpg
The 70 that I sold to Jeff.
Christmas tree 08 003.jpg

Last edited:

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
The first Commando I almost bought was a trade in on a car lot I worked at when I was a teen back in the 80's. I want to say it was a '71 with a V6 and a 4speed. I drove it to lunch one day and loved it. I was into Toyota 4x4's at the time, didn't know anything about Jeeps or Commando's. I drove it to the local 4x4 shop and asked the owner what he thought about them. He said you couldn't buy an off the shelf lift for it you would have to buy custom springs and it would be expensive to lift. He seemed pretty negative about it and pretty much persuaded me into thinking I should pass on it. He was a hardcore bronco guy though and had one in Four Wheeler mag so I thought he knew stuff. lol Looking back I really regret not buying it.