1983 frame off refresh - finally

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Loaded up and off to my buddy to do the body and paint! No idea how long it's going to take but there's plenty to do with what's left here. He's already got the hood, doors, fenders, grill and roll bar.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Then I made a new friend on craigslist...........scored a stainless hinge set and a laredo grill cover. Gotta love a mcdonalds parking lot deal!

And after a little buffing wheel and rouge on the wheel

On the grill I used a little simichrome polish on this......

And brought it to this......

It's wall art as of right now

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
What kind of paint did you use on the diffs? Looks good.
It's from TSC. It's the Majic brand gloss black. I've used it on a few other projects that have turned out good. One of the main reasons for choosing this was that i knew what I was working with, how to work with it and knew what end results to expect. Granted I would have loved to have a shop do my frame, but for a nice driver, why? And if I need to add, modify or touch up I can do it in my shop with the spray gun or even a brush.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I was also able to blast, prime and paint the axle shafts, drive shafts and shackle hangers. Nothing too exciting but progress none the less.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Tractor paint....nice. Prime and paint, or slop it straight on?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Tractor paint....nice. Prime and paint, or slop it straight on?
What I've been doing is sandblasting the components, wiping them clean with acetone and then use an HVLP gun to apply the red oxide oil based primer by the same company. I've also used Rustoleum etching primer on some of the components where I didn't use the spray gun.

Here's a pic of the steering box blasted.......

And then in etching primer.......

And lastly, gloss black oil based "tractor" paint......

I think they've really turned out nice

Last edited:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Gonna have to get some of that. I'm going to swap a set of axles in my tan CJ hopefully this spring, and that's the look I'm going for, and I know any kind of farm paint should hold up well.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Been a while since I posted. I spent a little time and removed the spray liner from the bulkhead the other day. It's really in great shape in my opinion. I've got a little patch work on one end but that's about it. Have a look....

So as you can see not too too much work to do to it. Smiling here!

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Here's one for you axle intellectuals, I think I have morse axles but I'm not sure. What say you?

They both have 021207 stamped on them as well as the letter m in the recess with what appears to be 2 more m's.

Here's what's left of a sticker....I can't read it either !

More to come

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Got me a gallon of the TSC paint last night. You thinning yours out a bit before using it?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Thin it with paint thinner. I'm shooting through an HVLP gun so I've got it just a bit thicker than water. If you're using a Binks gun it may be able to be applied a bit thicker.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
[It's a Moser axle. Just had my second set installed last yr. Looking at my tire it's the same except different stamped. Date. P1090553.jpg

Last edited:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I was able to get the steering box mounted today. What's really nice is that I have a grade 5 selection in the shop (see chrome grill picture a few posts back) and I can size correct diameters and lengths before going to Salem Fastener and getting my GR8 hardware. Makes it super easy to fit and mock up then come back for final. Sorry for the one blurry pic

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Looking good. Before the start of my build I go to a store "Tractor Supply" that sells grade 3, 5, and 8 by the pound. Much cheaper than Home Depot or other stores. I get a selection from 1/4" up to 1/2" up to 5.5". It's a sick feeling when you drop just under $200. But I have enough for 2 builds and it sure beats running to the store to get the size I need.

City
Floyd/Salem
State
VA
Your bulkhead looks to be in better shape than mine :p

I love the look of the gold GR8 against the black frame. Are you going to leave them uncoated? I've read that the zinc coating (or whatever it is) will eventually wear off and rust. Is that true?