• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Adventures with Peggy's jeep.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
As fun as turbos are, I can’t see the draw for off-road. To get any low rpm response they must be small and spool up early. That limits the high rpm output significantly. My style of off-road driving is just off idle, the exact place turbos fall on their face and large cubic inch/long stroke engines thrive.

But, you can’t beat that cool factor.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
X2 Only driven had fun with one 40 years ago. someone installed a chevy 350 w/turbo into a chevy Monza I think it was. It screamed and was a fun car.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
As fun as turbos are, I can’t see the draw for off-road. To get any low rpm response they must be small and spool up early. That limits the high rpm output significantly. My style of off-road driving is just off idle, the exact place turbos fall on their face and large cubic inch/long stroke engines thrive.

But, you can’t beat that cool factor.

That's manual transmission mentality... Boost combined with a non lockup slushbox with stall speed synced to turbo map is a LOT of fun offroad. There's nothing wrong with letting an engine sing a little bit

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
That's manual transmission mentality... Boost combined with a non lockup slushbox with stall speed synced to turbo map is a LOT of fun offroad. There's nothing wrong with letting an engine sing a little bit
I see it in one of those deep mud racing trucks. Those wind up and float above a lot of the gooei mud.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Today I got the shortened axle back from moser.
BAAE4AE0-B61B-4D9D-9F60-A74F4B776B2A.jpeg

Looks like my measurements were good. I’ll verify later after I wash the dirt out of the original carrier. I should have pulled it before starting to clean the tubes.

The only issue I am having now is finding a drum brake rodeo rear with 4.56 gears. I would prefer this over most other options as it comes 6 on 5.5 and I wouldn’t have to re gear. If I can’t find one, I may look into Ford 9” options along with waggy amc 20 or 44s.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Today I got the shortened axle back from moser.
View attachment 85628

Looks like my measurements were good. I’ll verify later after I wash the dirt out of the original carrier. I should have pulled it before starting to clean the tubes.

The only issue I am having now is finding a drum brake rodeo rear with 4.56 gears. I would prefer this over most other options as it comes 6 on 5.5 and I wouldn’t have to re gear. If I can’t find one, I may look into Ford 9” options along with waggy amc 20 or 44s.

I’d go with the 44 over the 20 if at all possible. I wasn’t a real fan of my 20.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I have front and rear 44s in this one. The rear is out of an 86 CJ 7. The front is a shortened Waggy 44. 4:10’s with a ARB,s front and rear. The jeep is kind of a sleeper.
76AA2778-E3C6-44F0-AA13-DE19D7BA4EAD.png

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Painted some more, not my favorite thing to do. Worth it for how much nicer it looks.
69BAB46B-F0F7-468E-A2B5-5E73D5231A9D.jpeg1D4E05DE-E87B-40E9-9364-6BD631746332.jpeg

I am having a hard time finding these “cheap and plentiful” rodeo 44s with 4.56 gearing. A wagoneer was just dropped off at a pick and pull. It was the AMC 20 though. I’m a bit frustrated as I thought the rear would be easier to find than this. It isn’t a rush, but I would prefer to have it in hand.

I’ve also considered a 489 from east coast gear supply. It isn’t priced that much higher than me piecing a ford 9” together. 9” also habe less locker selection than the Dana’s.

I’ll figure it out eventually. Also debated Detroit vs OX in the front. I think I would prefer an OX as I cannot twin stick the 241c.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Painted some more, not my favorite thing to do. Worth it for how much nicer it looks.
View attachment 85764View attachment 85765

I am having a hard time finding these “cheap and plentiful” rodeo 44s with 4.56 gearing. A wagoneer was just dropped off at a pick and pull. It was the AMC 20 though. I’m a bit frustrated as I thought the rear would be easier to find than this. It isn’t a rush, but I would prefer to have it in hand.

I’ve also considered a 489 from east coast gear supply. It isn’t priced that much higher than me piecing a ford 9” together. 9” also habe less locker selection than the Dana’s.

I’ll figure it out eventually. Also debated Detroit vs OX in the front. I think I would prefer an OX as I cannot twin stick the 241c.

The pic reminded me of something. I've been hanging on to a pair of flat top D44 knuckles for several years. They came off a Chev 1/2 ton. Same as Waggy stuff. If you're interested I'd let them go for $125/pair plus shipping. The passenger side would still have to be machined/drilled if you wanted to do a crossover setup. Let me know, I'll be listing them in the classifieds too.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I noticed the other day that I was running warmer than normal. I finally decided to build the fan shroud I should have almost 2 years ago. I had some random somewhat rusty sheet metal from years ago working on my 3a. Also had a sheet of 18 gauge galvanized that was left in our house when we bought it.

With these “fine” materials in hand I decided to make a shroud. No brake or fancy tools. Fairly ugly until painted, not terrible after.

5F22587E-7821-4D68-AA9B-998D6180DA48.jpeg3E536F9E-C5B2-4747-B55C-BBA6AF1E0F3D.jpeg

Made it GM style with a portion of the top removable. Pretty slick for access.
E730309E-98C6-4906-B4A6-D8BD1DFED74C.jpegFAA764E7-5113-4BF3-BC8E-85129B9372FF.jpeg
Made another change. Rather than a 9” or rodeo 44, the new plan is a disc brake explorer axle. Should put me at 59.5” WMS. Talked to Dutchman, $290 for new axles drilled for 5 on 5.5. Then drill rotors to match.

Do I need to modify my current stock master cylinder and proportioning valve?

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I noticed the other day that I was running warmer than normal. I finally decided to build the fan shroud I should have almost 2 years ago. I had some random somewhat rusty sheet metal from years ago working on my 3a. Also had a sheet of 18 gauge galvanized that was left in our house when we bought it.

With these “fine” materials in hand I decided to make a shroud. No brake or fancy tools. Fairly ugly until painted, not terrible after.

View attachment 86071View attachment 86072

Made it GM style with a portion of the top removable. Pretty slick for access.
View attachment 86073View attachment 86074
Made another change. Rather than a 9” or rodeo 44, the new plan is a disc brake explorer axle. Should put me at 59.5” WMS. Talked to Dutchman, $290 for new axles drilled for 5 on 5.5. Then drill rotors to match.

Very nice job i’m the fan shroud!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA

Yes, you will need a 4 wheel disk m/c (think Corvette here) and get rid of the stock proportioning valve for an in-line adjustable one to the rear.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Awesome plan! The 8.8 is a heck of an axle, and would have been my choice if I was going wider!

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Very nice job i’m the fan shroud!

Thanks! Honestly it looked pretty crappy until i seam sealed and painted it.

Awesome plan! The 8.8 is a heck of an axle, and would have been my choice if I was going wider!

They seem to be more available. Since I really prefer 4.88 gearing I would have to set gears up for either the 8.8 or 44. 8.8 seems to be in the middle of the 44 and 60 in terms of strength. Should be pretty solid for how I intend to use it (at least at this point).

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Looking at a review on a proportioning valve from Jegs, a review mentioned Southwest Performance Parts that sells the corvette master/booster kit for CJs.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/631292/10002/-1
That proportioning valve sounds right. Some people just go for an adjusta one to the rear and set their own bias. If you get a new m/c- booster, be sure that you get a duel diaphragm booster. You can give me a call tomorrow, if you want, with your other question.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Time for an update. We planned a trip to Eagle Nest NM and Moab UT. I had a bit of prep to take care of. Most of the Jeep was in pretty good shape. I did find a concerning crack on my passenger side motor mount. I ground out the old weld and put a better bead on it. Still need to do the passenger side.
C8085C49-2051-471E-8D13-822EAD379724.jpeg7589B38D-90FB-4437-94A7-5716A971A15D.jpeg8006AF80-6DF6-4FE2-8C43-037B1AA406BE.jpeg

I spent a fair amount of time on the “runs kinda hot” issue. New shrouds, mechanical fan clutches... turns out it was a stuck mostly closed thermostat. Changed that at our way too nice rental in NM.
E545310F-F134-4C9B-A19A-F1E4D0977767.jpeg

After changing the thermostat everything seems pretty happy again. That was my only issue on the trip so I feel pretty fortunate.