Another Scrambler Purchase/Road Trip - UPDATE- BODY ON FRAME AGAIN

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Get the license plate airbrush guy at your local mall to do it. Seriously, the Auto Color Match guys at the car lots can do this spot on. Look them up or PM me to discuss. I've used these types in the past

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
stafford
State
va

Didn't think about the "Ospho". The "Fluid Film" foamed up and pretty much coated the entire inside of the gap. I kept spraying until the "Fluid Film" was dripping out everywhere. The "Fluid Film" can says it coats/prevents existing rust from continuing, we will see :shrug:

Love the Mastercool, thanks Chiefwahoo :cheers:
A friend of mine swears by the “fluid film” , He puts all of his trucks on his lift and coats the entire bottom of them

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
There's a cult following for Fluid Film. I use the pi** out of it here at the coast on the saltwater. The main reason I searched it out was to use as a substitute for Woody Wax for my boat. I spray it directly on the interior non-skid gelcoat after I wash it and it acts like a wax and believe it or not it is not slippery. I also like that it's $9 a can at Lowe's -vs- $40 for the Woody's

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
There's a cult following for Fluid Film. I use the pi** out of it here at the coast on the saltwater. The main reason I searched it out was to use as a substitute for Woody Wax for my boat. I spray it directly on the interior non-skid gelcoat after I wash it and it acts like a wax and believe it or not it is not slippery. I also like that it's $9 a can at Lowe's -vs- $40 for the Woody's
I saw my local NAPA had it in gallon cans, I guess you could brush/spray it on?

Yes, it is very "waxy" feeling :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Get the license plate airbrush guy at your local mall to do it. Seriously, the Auto Color Match guys at the car lots can do this spot on. Look them up or PM me to discuss. I've used these types in the past
We have local souvenir shops that airbrush t-shirts, might be worth looking into :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have been working on Jeeps everyday for like the last three weeks. So, besides a fuel filter change this weekend, IF it is raining, I'm going to get back into "yard work mode" for a few weeks, until I get burnt out on that, and rotate back to Jeeps, repeat, etc :thumbsup:

20200407_172902.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I decided to change my fuel filter and associated rubber lines. The filter has been on there for 10 years/40,000 miles. No problems, just figured I would swap it out and the associated rubber lines.

This Scrambler has been running a Hesco external fuel pump, no problems.

Existing fuel filter/pump set up:

20200417_154222.jpg

Basically, fuel flows left to right: in to fuel filter, then pump, then down driver side frame rail to fuel rail.. Not saying this is the "right" way to do it, but this is how Hesco said to install the fuel filter per their MPI instructions:

20200417_162847.jpg

This is NOT the filter included with the MPI kit. It is one I found at NAPA, fits some late model fuel injected Nissan/Infiniti cars/trucks:

20200417_162707.jpg

It is a "WIX" filter, 13 micron. A hair fine for before the fuel pump applications, but I have not had any issues. Again, not the "right thing" to do, but has been working fine for me.

Plastic cup discolored from the fuel, but good and clear, a few small rust particles, nothing to worry about IMO.

20200417_162717.jpg

20200417_162727.jpg

The HESCO fuel pump uses 3/8 fittings on each end. The Jeep uses 5/16 fuel lines. I originally made these adapters, worked fine, just kind of "clunky":

20200418_084913.jpg

I bought these things from Summit, love them.

3/8 to 5/16:

20200417_165551.jpg

5/16 to 1/4:

20200417_165622.jpg

So, new rubber lines, clamps, line reducers, and filter on the back end, and used a "conduit clamp" to secure the fuel filter:

20200417_182341.jpg

And the rubber line that runs to the frame mounted stainless line. It looks "close", but it is a minimum 6"-8" from exhaust pipe.

20200417_182352.jpg

So, I have changed all 10 year old rubber fuel line. So far, I have not found any problem with any of it. Since that is the case, the two pieces coming off the fuel tank can stay until/unless I have to drop the gas tank.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I went ahead and broke open the old fuel filter, just for the hell of it, looks OK:

20200417_191609.jpg

I put the Jeep up on jack stands so I could sit up underneath it while messing with the fuel stuff:

20200418_085042.jpg

Since it was already on jack stands, went ahead and reinstalled the "solid" center caps on the rear wheels, swapped out one damaged "open" front center cap, and put an "open" cap on the spare tire:

20200418_155730.jpg

20200418_155740.jpg

Going to try to install the YJ air filter box next. After that, I am going to say it is "ready" for the National trip :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Made a quick "road trip" to Baton rouge and back this weekend. No problems with the exhaust or fuel lines.

Pictures, just because I'm bored.

Loaded up to help JeepAddict put his red Scrambler back together:

20200430_154450.jpg

Speedometer is accurate, drove this fast on the way there:

20200501_074418.jpg

RPM at 75 MPH, 33" tires/4.10 gears/AX15 transmission:

20200501_074427.jpg

At that speed/RPM, honest 14 MPG. 75/80 is not good for gas mileage LOL.

Windshield shot crossing into LA from MS, I10 west bound:

20200501_081319.jpg

Windshield shot going north out of New Orleans over the edge of Lake Ponchartrain/Bonnet Carrie Spillway:

20200501_081251.jpg

And waiting on JeepAddict, imagine that!!!!!!!

20200501_100030.jpg

On the way home, just for the hell of it, and traffic was light, I drove back with the speedometer pegged at 85 MPH, RPM right around 2900. Drove fine the whole way home.

The V8's are nice, and have more power than my bone stock 4.0. But, I can already cruise at 85-90 MPH in a slightly modified/lifted CJ-8. How much faster do I really want to go :shrug: :twocents: Maybe if I was towing a trailer on a regular basis cross country a V8 would make more sense?

Anyway, glad that it made it there and back fine, hopefully it is ready for the National Scrambler Event this year!!! :fingerscrossed:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Never been that fast in a CJ. Probably a little different with a hard top vs no top. Surprised you didn't go I-12 since that is more direct

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Never been that fast in a CJ. Probably a little different with a hard top vs no top. Surprised you didn't go I-12 since that is more direct
I-10 is faster to get to Seigan Lane, I-12 is faster for Sherwood Forest.

6 one way, 1/2 dozen the other :thumbsup:

This Scrambler handles great at speed. The hard top is way better then a soft top on the interstate. Selectable locker in the rear of this one is better than a Detroit, too, for high speeds :twocents:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
You are correct sir. I was thinking farther into BR. I do know an interesting route you could try sometime off the beaten path but I thought interesting. Hwy 22 over by Ponchatoula and Hammond off I-12. It cuts southwest on the west side of lake Maurepas and comes out onto I-10 between Sorrento & Gonzales. Interesting back road. Just a thought.