bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Got some things to do first. Did have it up to ~67 and no vibrations. Tried airsoft beads in them for the first time and seems to work well. No balance at the tire shop, just the beads, stems and mounting.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Got some things to do first. Did have it up to ~67 and no vibrations. Tried airsoft beads in them for the first time and seems to work well. No balance at the tire shop, just the beads, stems and mounting.
I did 1 lb of "match grade" (LOL!) Airsoft beads in each of my used 39.5" Boggers. They balance out just fine if I'm going faster than 35 mph. Driving with the top/doors off for the first time was a little trippy though because I can hear the beads hit the aluminum rim each time I come to a stop.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I did 1 lb of "match grade" (LOL!) Airsoft beads in each of my used 39.5" Boggers. They balance out just fine if I'm going faster than 35 mph. Driving with the top/doors off for the first time was a little trippy though because I can hear the beads hit the aluminum rim each time I come to a stop.
I told my daughter to listen for the noise when we stopped (she had no idea why or what she was hearing) and immediately said it sounded like someone peeing :rotfl:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Too funny about the beads.... I used them in my 37s on AEV Beadlocks on the old JKUR I had. More than a couple times I had guys at stoplights tell me I must have a caliper dragging or something as I rolled to a stop

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
So this happened today. Interco IROK ND 37s on their BirdDog rims. Took the opportunity to get some shots of the Postal and LJ together since I haven't had the two tops on at the same time before.

That is a completely, totally, awesome pair :bow:

Thanks for taking the time to share :headbang:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
BW,

What size tires and gear ratio are you running on your Postal now? (Not sure if the info is correct in your signature, I know you replaced the RE lift)

Do you feel it's the correct ratio for the present tire size, would they work well with larger tires?

I assume it still has the 4.0L and AW4.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Still 35" and 4.56 gears. Been to busy pushing out the new magazine issue to deal with the signature now that I put the BDS 5" lift on. Still the 4.0/AW4 with no plans to change that until a stroker can happen, that's always been my plan for the Postal. In a nice coincidence relative to the timing of the new lift, I am trying to work with a tire company on some other tires, but nothing firm yet. That would likely require some other changes :evil:

I had to play the compromise game when I chose the 4.56 gears. If I hadn't had the automatic, it would have been a no brainer to do 4.88. With the AW4 and knowing that I highway drive this thing regularly, I didn't want to give up reasonable high-speed cruising. I can't take poking along at less than the normal cruising speed on the highway, ESPECIALLY with the length of the trips that I take. I will put in 12 hours of driving a day, at least, on my solo drives.

Off road, they're definitely a touch tall.

In the end, if I were to do it all over again, I think there's enough left in the 4.0 at 75-80 MPH that I could have gone with the 4.88s and still been happy. That would put it in a better place off-road for sure. It's never been a real problem on the trails to the point that I was mad that I only had 4.56 or anything like that, we're just talking about degrees of good.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Still 35" and 4.56 gears. Been to busy pushing out the new magazine issue to deal with the signature now that I put the BDS 5" lift on. Still the 4.0/AW4 with no plans to change that until a stroker can happen, that's always been my plan for the Postal. In a nice coincidence relative to the timing of the new lift, I am trying to work with a tire company on some other tires, but nothing firm yet. That would likely require some other changes :evil:

I had to play the compromise game when I chose the 4.56 gears. If I hadn't had the automatic, it would have been a no brainer to do 4.88. With the AW4 and knowing that I highway drive this thing regularly, I didn't want to give up reasonable high-speed cruising. I can't take poking along at less than the normal cruising speed on the highway, ESPECIALLY with the length of the trips that I take. I will put in 12 hours of driving a day, at least, on my solo drives.

Off road, they're definitely a touch tall.

In the end, if I were to do it all over again, I think there's enough left in the 4.0 at 75-80 MPH that I could have gone with the 4.88s and still been happy. That would put it in a better place off-road for sure. It's never been a real problem on the trails to the point that I was mad that I only had 4.56 or anything like that, we're just talking about degrees of good.
Perhaps an Atlas IV? Then you CAN have the best of both worlds.
:wave:

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
The problem with the TJ/LJ is that they have such a deep overdrive relative to everything else so you need to go deeper on a gear selection or your engine is lugged down and trans temperatures go up.

Sent from my SM-G920V

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Still 35" and 4.56 gears. Been to busy pushing out the new magazine issue to deal with the signature now that I put the BDS 5" lift on......
Thanks for the info and explanation. Just what I was looking for.
Also like MrBeep's idea. Big difference in low range between my 8 and my LJR.

Understand you have a lot of irons in the fire. Just wanted it to be clear that I researched before asking. :thumbsup:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The problem with the TJ/LJ is that they have such a deep overdrive relative to everything else so you need to go deeper on a gear selection or your engine is lugged down and trans temperatures go up.

Sent from my SM-G920V
For the automatics?

PeteE

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gallatin Gateway
State
MT
Why did you go with balancing beads? Could you not get to balance? Thinking of the same tires for my LJ. Also on the Top does it have the roll down canvas curtains when the sides are out or was that a pro type?

Pete

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Yea, autos I'd go 5.13 or 5.38 gears with 35's and an auto. The overdrive is a whopping .68 which kills power.

Sent from my SM-G920V

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I simply think it's the way to go with tires this big. When I balanced the TrXuS one of them didn't take fully right out of the gate. Those were 35 and they're out of whack now. I like the physics of the balancing beads. Anything can happen with the tires and the beads will take care of it.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yea, autos I'd go 5.13 or 5.38 gears with 35's and an auto. The overdrive is a whopping .68 which kills power.

Sent from my SM-G920V
The LJ was Kate's vehicle when we got it and she didn't drive stick. After we test drive the auto and I drove her in the 6-speed, she knew she'd need to learn to drive stick. Those autos sucked.