spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have completed three title bonds, no problems at all. Get a law enforcement "friend" to run the VIN first. If it comes back clean, no problem getting a title bond :twocents:

City
Charlottesville
State
VA
The Texas titling process will be a little interesting. The Jeep is eligible to come into the US under a couple DOT provisions: (1) it was manufactured to comply with then existing US emissions and other standards (it still has the labels under the hood); and (2) it is over 25 years old. Either make it federally eligible to import.

Texas uses a few steps to get it titled: (1) Need the DOT Form HS-7 proving legal import from above which comes from your shipper; (2) Have to get a state safety inspection (no emission testing needed since over 25 years); (3) Have to get a separate inspection of the vehicle VIN by an anti-theft city/state officer or similar person to ensure that the VIN plates do not look replaced and that the vehicle is not stolen; and (4) take all the above, plus proof of insurance, a completed title application and an "ownership document" to Dallas County.

Things may get interesting with the "ownership document." Australia does not use titles like we do in the US. Their laws seem to protect buyers, and they may have a governmental "title" insurance company that protects buyers. All Andrew had was his current Queensland registration document. So, I will take a copy of Andrew's registration and an executed bill of sale between us to Dallas County and see what they say. Whenever I present Dallas County with something out of the ordinary (like antique registration and year of manufacture plates), they kind of lock-up a little and call over 1-2 supervisors. It's going to be interesting. If they take issue, I will probably to see if there's something else I can do or I will try another Dallas county office and see if I get same response. If none of that works, I will have to go the bonded title route which is another post if it goes that way. Wish me luck
I just read through this whole thread with a lot of interest. ag4ever suggested I check it out and it's been very helpful. I've been doing some research for the past month or so on importing a vehicle from Turkey here to the U.S., either a Defender or CJ-8. I have been in talks with Schumacher Cargo to handle the import so I'm glad you had a positive experience with them. The one road block I'm hitting is regarding verifying the age of the vehicle. I am being told that if the engine and/or transmission have been replaced in any vehicle I am considering importing, the age of those replacement parts dictate the age the U.S. considers the vehicle to be. For example, if I'm looking at a vehicle that's at least 25 years old but the seller put in a 20 year old engine, that vehicle is no longer eligible to be imported because US Customs now considers it a 20 year old vehicle.
The Texas titling process will be a little interesting. The Jeep is eligible to come into the US under a couple DOT provisions: (1) it was manufactured to comply with then existing US emissions and other standards (it still has the labels under the hood); and (2) it is over 25 years old. Either make it federally eligible to import.

Texas uses a few steps to get it titled: (1) Need the DOT Form HS-7 proving legal import from above which comes from your shipper; (2) Have to get a state safety inspection (no emission testing needed since over 25 years); (3) Have to get a separate inspection of the vehicle VIN by an anti-theft city/state officer or similar person to ensure that the VIN plates do not look replaced and that the vehicle is not stolen; and (4) take all the above, plus proof of insurance, a completed title application and an "ownership document" to Dallas County.

Things may get interesting with the "ownership document." Australia does not use titles like we do in the US. Their laws seem to protect buyers, and they may have a governmental "title" insurance company that protects buyers. All Andrew had was his current Queensland registration document. So, I will take a copy of Andrew's registration and an executed bill of sale between us to Dallas County and see what they say. Whenever I present Dallas County with something out of the ordinary (like antique registration and year of manufacture plates), they kind of lock-up a little and call over 1-2 supervisors. It's going to be interesting. If they take issue, I will probably to see if there's something else I can do or I will try another Dallas county office and see if I get same response. If none of that works, I will have to go the bonded title route which is another post if it goes that way. Wish me luck
I just read through this whole thread with a lot of interest. ag4ever suggested I check it out and it's been very helpful. I've been doing some research for the past month or so on importing a vehicle from Turkey here to the U.S., either a Defender or CJ-8. I have been in talks with Schumacher Cargo to handle the import so I was relieved to see you had a positive experience with them. The one road block I'm hitting is regarding verifying the age of the vehicle. I am being told that if the engine and/or transmission have been replaced in any vehicle I am considering importing, the age of those replacement parts dictate the age the U.S. considers the vehicle to be. For example, if I'm looking at a vehicle that's at least 25 years old but the seller put in a 20 year old engine, that vehicle is no longer eligible to be imported because US Customs now considers it a 20 year old vehicle. How have you handled verifying this regarding the vehicles you have imported from outside the US? Was it ever at all an issue?

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
For example, if I'm looking at a vehicle that's at least 25 years old but the seller put in a 20 year old engine, that vehicle is no longer eligible to be imported because US Customs now considers it a 20 year old vehicle. How have you handled verifying this regarding the vehicles you have imported from outside the US? Was it ever at all an issue?
This is an interesting twist. I believe we traded comments on FB about Schumacher. I have read of the government impounding cars for this and similar reasons (and that means crushing them). Mostly the discussion was on Defenders that had replacement engines. There might have been less than 20 or 25-year old re-VIN'ed Defenders that were busted because the newer engines gave them away. Enough of trying to scare you away but you may have to jump through one hoop on the CJ-8, not sure how many hoops on the Defender. The 2 important forms are DOT HS-7 and EPA Form 3520. I think you have an out for the DOT form but the EPA may need some work.

DOT Form HS-7
The first eligibility box allows vehicles 25 years or older. You may fail that with a newer engine if they know it's not original. The second box 2A permits vehicles that conform to all applicable safety standards and bumper and theft protection standards:

"The vehicle or equipment item conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (or the vehicle does not conform solely because readily attachable equipment items that will be attached to it before it is offered for sale to the first purchaser for purposes other than resale are not attached), and Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards, and bears a certification label or tag to that effect permanently affixed by the original manufacturer to the vehicle or affixed by the manufacturer to the equipment item or to its delivery container in accordance with applicable National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations [591.5(b)];"

Since the Scrambler was made in the US and this is simply an export version, they were made to conform to the US standards. My Overlander still has the original sticker stating that it conforms to all 1983 standards.

EPA Form 3520-1
This is probably the harder of the two, but you may still qualify:

"code E - vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. Customs may require proof of vehicle age"

You should dig into the replacement engine qualification and understand what kind of engine was put into the vehicle and whether it is EPA certified.

So, what kind of engine was put into it?

Last edited:

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
So, what kind of engine was put into it?
Replying to my own post after reading your other post that included the engine stamp and that it was a 258. Since that is a true replacement engine, same size, same year-ish, I think you're fine. I would check Box 1 on the DOT form (unmodified) and the Code E on the EPA form.

Is Schumacher concerned?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Replying to my own post after reading your other post that included the engine stamp and that it was a 258. Since that is a true replacement engine, same size, same year-ish, I think you're fine. I would check Box 1 on the DOT form (unmodified) and the Code E on the EPA form.

Is Schumacher concerned?
If it’s got a 258, how could it possibly be less than 25 years old?