• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gazzo's Down-under CJ thread

Babow!!! Fail! Approval declined on FARMTRUK. Kinda figured they'd ping me for the "no 360 in a CJ10 in Australia". Oh well off the the Engineer we go.

What will need is to re-gear my speedo drive. Any of you learned gents know where I need to go for those?

The last time I reheated I ordered through Morris 4X4.
 
I'm thinking along the lines of an adaptor like thisImageUploadedByTapatalk1465396695.817023.jpg
Would I be correct in saying to change the gears like this from Bob's or Morris I'd need to pull the Tcase apart?
 
I have never used a gizmo like the thing you linked to above :shrug:

On the Dana 300's I have rebuilt, I always just changed the plastic speedometer gear to get the speedometer reading correctly. On the Dana 300, you do not have to disassemble the transfer case to change the plastic gear, they can be changed easily while the transfer case is in the vehicle. IIRC, one bolt holds the gear holder thing in place, then you can swap gears. You do have to clock the gear holder piece the right way in the case, depending on the gear used.

If it's not a Dana 300 that you have, I am not sure how the process works, but should be similar :shrug:
 
Why not just get the right color speedo gear. Its cheaper then that unit ..Unless your changing gears and tires that often. . Its take 5 minutes to change and its on top of the tcase. No need to open the case..

Sent from my SM-N910P
 
272d05fdfb134630b93726bd43fdd0ae-1.jpg


Sent from my SM-N910P
 
Thanks guys, from what I've researched I thought two gears are required, you buy them as a set. I have wondered about the rotation of the part in the D300 but that again needs another part. I gotta get researching.
 
437e2b5df5408822b6932b38850e089f-1.jpg


Its one gear just have to pick your gear tire combo..

Sent from my SM-N910P
 
Ooh. Ok I'll get onto it. I'm a dimwit. The green one will match the truck 🙃
 
Does that truck have a Dana 300? The gear and gear housing are all you need, and more than likely you can use your existing gear housing. 21-25 tooth housing is the oddball, and then the other goes from 26 all the way up into the 40's and you orient it at 90 degree intervals depending on which gear you are using.

I will guess that you already have the right housing, and would just need the gear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-A-B-E...ash=item58dce7fd13:g:gYoAAOxy2CZTZwgQ&vxp=mtr
 
Thanks Will. It's a 208. I'm out of town but when I get back I'll crawl under in get into it. I understand it all now. Dyno next week so I'll see exactly what my error is and use the chart above to get my tooth count. Might be 26
 
Have done that Dave, it shows 20k out. The dyno will show speed but that's a side, the Dyno is for power and torque figures for licensing with the 360 modification.
 
So do the Aussie authorities treat it as a new vehicle then, even if the truck has been there for years anyway???
 
There are some concessions like no immobiliser require over 25yo and emission control only has to be current for year of manufacture but basically it still has to meet all braking, noise, power, torque, handling and weight guidelines or be proven to be safe to operate. All well and good though because we want to be protective of those inside and other road users.
 
Wow, power and torque limits? ewwww😲

Sent from my SM-J320P
 
No not limits, the engineer needs to see/prove to the DoT that all the hardware downstairs can carry/handle/stop what the engine can provide.
 
problem solved forever!

http://www.speedhut.com/jeep_cluster.html

fun thing is i bought one of these. its still in the box (which is a crime). but no matter
what tire size or gears your running as long as the gps can grab a signal you will
have the right speed. worth it in my opinion. Im running 39" tires and 4.88 gears in
my cj-7. this is a must IMO for me. Just haven't had a chance to bolt it in yet. but have
been guesstamating my speed for years. and I'm gone through 4 different gears sets that included
two axle swaps and 3 different tire sizes. once i get this speedo in... problem solved and its factory looking.
7jeeps7kings.
 
I'm running the Speedhut Cluster with my 5.3L conversion Scrambler and it work just fine and will work with any tires and any gears.
 
I've got the gauge installed on the cj7 (and the cj8 build). On the cj7 it's the first time in over 10 year that I didn't have to do the math in my head while driving. It's awesome.
 
Back
Top