• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gladiator

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Au contraire! I think it looks sweet, but do agree that EJS should have more than fancy paint for “special” models.

But that retro paint makes me really consider one. Biggest thing holding me back is the need to tow a 9,500 lb travel trailer. Other than that one trailer the mid size Jeep truck would be plenty for my other towing needs.

It’s fine, just do NOT put the Scrambler name
on it.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
It does not bother me. Heck, with the removable top, sport bar, and paint it has more in common with the scrambler lineage than the gladiator lineage. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It does not bother me. Heck, with the removable top, sport bar, and paint it has more in common with the scrambler lineage than the gladiator lineage. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

I’m not a fan of any of their name reuse trend in general and calling it a Gladiator and THEN putting the Scrambler name on it is absolutely unforgivable for me.

It’s like putting a vintage Mustang emblem on a Fiesta to me. Just because they’re both two door cars would not make that ok at all.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Ahh, but this would be like ford putting the Mustang name on a Taurus or Contour or some other 4 door car.

:evil::evil::evil:

In the end, it is just a name. The names really do nothing for me, it is what is under the name that matters.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ahh, but this would be like ford putting the Mustang name on a Taurus or Contour or some other 4 door car.

:evil::evil::evil:

In the end, it is just a name. The names really do nothing for me, it is what is under the name that matters.

True and even worse.

“Just a name” is where we differ and is clearly how FCA is looking at it. I was in marketing for years. Doing this kind of thing with your brand’s legacy marques in an attempt to lend some kind of legitimacy to new and utterly different models just cheapens your history and hurts your brand.

The examples where it has been done well have made brands too willing to keep trying it and Jeep is utterly screwing the pooch.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The DC Auto show is a joke. I know it. yet I go every year. They only brought 1 Gladiator. I know, I should be happy that they brought one at all. But even that one was guarded and no one was allowed to touch it. And the lady standing with it knew nothing really. Oh well. I guess I will have to wait for them to start arriving at dealerships for me to actually get to get my hands on one.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow, this sure didn’t take long.

Apparently this is from a Car and Driver article; however, I do not have the link:

View attachment 71489

I get this. But can't they come up with new stripes and name? I am with Eric on the use of the name. They needed to come up with a new name altogether. Yes it is more akin to the Scrambler than the Gladiator, but neither name should have been used in my opinion.

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
Oh lord. If that’s one of the concepts I won’t drive it on principle :rolleyes:

I'd be extremely surprised if that is one of the concepts since FCA has been trying to distance the Gladiator from the Scrambler. And it's certainly not very "conceptual."

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I think good names for 4x4s are already used and it's hard to come up with something new. Even car names that sound cool are already used or reused. Look what happened to Thunderbird.

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE
I'd be extremely surprised if that is one of the concepts since FCA has been trying to distance the Gladiator from the Scrambler. And it's certainly not very "conceptual."

Link: https://www.motor1.com/news/337165/2019-jeep-easter-safari-concepts/

Jeep Press Release said:
The Jeep JT Scrambler concept is a heritage-inspired remix, carrying the throwback color palette and graphics of the iconic CJ Scrambler crossed with a combination of available Jeep Performance Parts and conceptual touches.

The look of the early 1980s-era CJ8 Scrambler is recreated with prototype Punk’N Metallic Orange and Nacho body- side stripes running from the front panels to the bed and a matching hood graphic. The white exterior is crowned with a freedom top painted in vintage amber, continuing the retro feel.

The bed area is customized with a spray-in bedliner and a two-inch steel, prototype tube sport/roll bar painted body- color white. This version of the sport/roll bar anchors to the bed and also extends the length of the bed rails on each side, offering a total of eight tie-down points to lock down cargo. Diffused LED task lights mounted to the sport/roll bar are directed to the rear bed, providing illumination in the cargo area.

Based on the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, the Scrambler pulls liberally from the Mopar brand’s Jeep Performance Parts line, including a set of four five-inch LED lights stationed atop the sport/roll bar and two stationed on the vehicle’s A- pillars. Facing forward on the brush guard up front are a pair of Jeep Performance Parts seven-inch LED lights, pointing the way at 8,000 lumens each.

The Jeep Performance Parts 17-inch slot wheels are customized in a concept bronze to tie in with the exterior color theme. A two-inch Jeep Performance Parts lift kit helps accommodate large, 37-inch tires and tough Jeep Performance Parts rock rails feature a non-slip grip. The 3.6-liter engine is augmented with a Mopar cold-air intake and cat-back exhaust.

The Scrambler color theme is followed through on the interior. Katzkin Amaretto Brown leather seats are bordered in orange thread, with the Jeep grille logo embroidered in a light Tungsten on the seatbacks. The dash panel and armrests receive the same Katzkin Amaretto Brown leather treatment with matching orange thread accents. The auxiliary switch bank offers a single location for operating accessories, including the LED lights, and the Mopar bright pedal kit and all-weather floor mats also dress up the interior

5A170768-D314-4B8C-BCCC-AD8E4EBEF5AF.jpeg89571189-B2B5-4F6F-B9A1-B6AD42E5FAE0.jpegFC65B58B-3956-4812-89A3-CD063DDC476A.jpeg2FA82EC3-14F9-423D-B99B-87E1569447F4.jpeg6C9EC4FD-282D-4387-9D96-180A938F9B40.jpegD8650306-8D11-4BBF-868D-A7AD2CD2E223.jpegEB5F16FE-5126-4272-B230-DBC376B32DAB.jpeg

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
Well color me extremely surprised. After the considerable amount of effort FCA put forth to distance the Gladiator from the Scrambler, they dress up a slightly modified Gladiator as a "Scrambler." I'm looking forward to seeing the convoy of concepts roll into town in a few days. But just when I had convinced myself I wasn't going to wait for a late-availability color and would order as soon as the order banks open (if they ever do), they release the Wayout with what is apparently the late-availability Gator color. Dang...I love that color.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Well color me extremely surprised. After the considerable amount of effort FCA put forth to distance the Gladiator from the Scrambler, they dress up a slightly modified Gladiator as a "Scrambler.".

This :rolleyes:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
All I'm saying is:

CJ ⇒ YJ ⇒ TJ ⇒ JK ⇒ JL

JL = JT

SJ ⇒ J200/J300 ⇒ J2000/J4000 ⇒ J10/J20 ⇒ DISCONTINUED PRODUCT LINE

J200 ≠ JT (Fullsize ≠ Midsize)

Therefore, JT = Scrambler > JT = Gladiator

I know I am in the minority, but I kinda like it that way.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
IMO, as soon as you say full-size isn’t midsize to justify that it shouldn’t be the Gladiator you lose the ability to turn around and say a truck built on a Ram 1500 chassis (and with a divorced bed) should be a Scrambler.

Enjoying the discussion (and I still won’t drive the “Scrambler” ? )

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have not been following the JT evolution too much, but is the JT based on the RAM (glug glug glug, that's the sound of vomit in my throat as it is not a RAM, it is a Dodge, and why they needed to have a separate company name for just the truck division I'll never know) chassis?

I thought the JT was based on the JL frame etc...

If the JT is based on the 1500 frame, then it is a bastar* and really does not fit anywhere.

I still like the look of the Scrambler concept.

My biggest gripe is the funky rear doors that are clipped to avoid the non-existent wheel wells. I understand part interchangeability and economics of scale, but that just screams cheese.