• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gladiator

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
And now it is sitting in a yard in Toledo waiting to be shipped. My dealer tells me it is scheduled to be in Albuquerque on Aug. 5 and then needs to travel to the dealer in Cortez, CO., a little over 100 miles from Moab. I expect to pick it up around Aug. 9-10 about 15 weeks from the order date. It's funny how many guys in Gladiator Forum are whining because they have been waiting 6-8 weeks for delivery. I've ordered many vehicles through the years and 10-12 weeks is about average for delivery times in the West. Being able to track orders weekly (daily? hourly?) just makes it seem longer, especially when you see them get stalled for 6 or 7 weeks in one status code. In the pre-internet days, you ordered and just waited with no knowledge of where your vehicle was in the production process. Then one day you get a call from the dealer to come pick up the vehicle you may have almost forgotten about. It was great. I don't think 15 weeks is bad for a totally new platform.

My window sticker just showed up this morning. I haven't seen a legible one posted here yet so here's mine...hope it is legible anyway. If not, the original pdf is accessible here: Moabite's Glad Sticker. I paid substantially less than MSRP. Though I will probably always regret selling the Scrambler (again), it will be wonderful to drive away from the dealership without a lien hanging over the Gladiator...made possible by selling the Scrambler. I will always consider myself lucky to have become re-united with what may always be my favorite vehicle. Not many get that chance.

Window sticker:
WindowStickerPDF.jpg

Last edited:

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Looks nicely equipped, I've read somewhere that the "winch-capable steel front bumper" was holding up production for a while.
Some people claimed they deleted that option to get theirs sooner. :shrug:
Personally, I would have waited.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Back in 1981/82 I waited 5 to 6 months for a special order 1982 Trans Am. The hold up was blamed on a lack of rear disk brakes, part of the WS6 package. They asked if I’d take it without the rear disk, I said I’d wait. It finally came in and some idiot with a buffer, buffed right through the paint down to primer. It took a while longer to get it while they took care of that.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Back in 1981/82 I waited 5 to 6 months for a special order 1982 Trans Am. The hold up was blamed on a lack of rear disk brakes, part of the WS6 package. They asked if I’d take it without the rear disk, I said I’d wait. It finally came in and some idiot with a buffer, buffed right through the paint down to primer. It took a while longer to get it while they took care of that.

I never knew the early 3rd gens had rear disc brakes. That's neat! I always assumed that was only on the optional 9 bolt rear end that I THINK started in 85 ( for f body's). Even 9 bolts I have only ever seen in the Trans Am GTA.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I never knew the early 3rd gens had rear disc brakes. That's neat! I always assumed that was only on the optional 9 bolt rear end that I THINK started in 85 ( for f body's). Even 9 bolts I have only ever seen in the Trans Am GTA.
Yep, it was part of the WS6 package. I had fun with that car, t-tops, 4 speed and a really weak 305 carbed motor. Wouldn’t handle a wet road at all. I daily drove it for 6 years.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Big nope on that scrambler decal package. It is like they did not even try.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Ya, instead of the sticker "your suv is not a Jeep", we'll need the decal "your Gladiator is not a Scrambler". :rotfl:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Just because you have a sticker, doesn't make it a "Scrambler".

Just because you have a sticker, doesn't make it a "Rubicon".

These "posers" are blatantly committing "culturally appropriation" of the good Scrambler name :angry::angry:

Like back in the day, the kids in your neighborhood who couldn't skate to save their lives, decked out in all the skater clothes!!!!!

POSERS :evil::angry::twocents: :twocents:

Maybe I'll stick a BMW M5 emblem on the back of my Scrambler and make it so :rotfl:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Just because you have a sticker, doesn't make it a "Scrambler".

Just because you have a sticker, doesn't make it a "Rubicon".

These "posers" are blatantly committing "culturally appropriation" of the good Scrambler name :angry::angry:

Like back in the day, the kids in your neighborhood who couldn't skate to save their lives, decked out in all the skater clothes!!!!!

POSERS :evil::angry::twocents: :twocents:

Maybe I'll stick a BMW M5 emblem on the back of my Scrambler and make it so :rotfl:

Like this "BMW" I took a picture of in my way to work one day.20190731_135224.jpg

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I do like that color. I've been seeing a few white base models around Baton Rouge. I saw a military themed Gladiator on a hauler headed West this week. It looked like it was fully coated in OD green Line-X.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
The 3.73s don't appear to be a real problem....Have you watched the movie? That Helephant Motor will break the tires with ease. 700 ft. lbs. is the great equalizer....

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The more I wait and think about it, despite wanting a Gladiator, I do not think it will suit my needs. I am now leaning toward a full size truck. I need something that can tow my Scrambler to the trails without maxing it out. Too bad, because I like this truck. Maybe some day.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have been jonesing for a new Jeep for a few years now, and right now I am not sure which would fit me best. A JL is shorter and I am sure easier to run around in, but being in construction and a person that uses a truck more often than most, the JT is very intriguing.

They are definitely a more common sight around here in the last month.

Only thing that gets me is the V6 in a truck. If they had put an ecoboost type V6 in there or something along those line it would be a real truck in my mind, but in reality it is a mini-truck competing with the ranger, tacoma, colorado, etc... And that is where I am not sure a compact truck works for my needs. I know I can't replace my full sized truck with one which then makes me wonder if the JL would be a better fit for my lifestyle.

Now, if I had no need to tow more than 5,000 pounds (lets be realistic, the Gladiator might be rated to tow 7,000+, but that is only one model equipped just right and I doubt it would do it in exemplary fashion) I would be all over a compact truck.

I am just glad that the Gladiator is not on the streets yet wearing blue paint, because I would have a hard time saying no to that. But that is just a matter of time. Now a Gladiator with a helliphant engine, :unsure:

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
People should stop trying to compare the Gladiator with a full-size truck, even if it can cost as much as one. So does a BMW. If you need a "real" truck that can tow 12,000+ pounds and haul a small subdivision, buy a full-size truck. The Gladiator is, in fact, meant to compete with the Tacoma, Ranger, GMC twins, etc. It is a mid-size truck that, in my opinion, beats the crap out of all of those.

The towing capacity and payload touted by FCA applies only to a Sport with automatic transmission and the Max Tow package. The towing capacity on the Rubicon is 7000 lbs and the payload is 1160 lbs. That's plenty for me. I've towed zero lbs in the last 10 years and the heaviest load I occasionally haul is 100 gallons of water.

Just like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, buy the truck that is "just right" for you. The Scrambler was just right for me for a number of years. I drove F-150s, 250s, Tundras, etc., for many years and they were most often far more than I needed...and not a lot of fun to drive. The Canyon that I traded yesterday was a perfect size, fit my needs, and was much more enjoyable to drive than my full-size "real" trucks. However, it was not just right in that its off-road capabilities were not Jeepish enough. The Gladiator ticks that box.

When I pulled the Gladiator into the garage for the first time, I could tell it was MUCH taller than the Canyon....or I was at least sitting much, much higher. However, the width and length are almost identical. It is definitely a mid-sized vehicle even though it seems larger than any of the competitors in that class.

If you need a hard-core 4WD vehicle, buy a JK or JL or CJ8. Of course, you can always spend a ton of $$ raising the JT to nose-bleed heights to improve off-road capabilities. If you need a full-size truck, buy a full-size truck. The Gladiator is a compromise that will fit the needs of a significant number of people. Bear with me...it's "just right".

And as long as we are talking about bears: Bearing Fruit

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
You are 100% on the mark Moabite. I have owned most of the smaller trucks and 1 F150. I prefer the smaller trucks all day long. I had a 1993 Ranger, 2002 Dakota, 2005 Colorado and a 2011 Tacoma. I all of them did exactly what the 2011 F150 did and did it well. The only thing the F150 had over those was interior space for a family of four. With that I still prefer the smaller trucks for ease of use, maneuverability and slightly better gas mileage (which is even more marginal nowadays).

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I like the idea of the smaller truck for mobility and every day driving, but I WANT (I did not say need) to be able to tow my Scrambler to the trails. Which is leading me to a full size truck. Which sucks because I like the Gladiator a lot. But I have my Scrambler. And I would really want to wheel the Gladiator and that might get me in trouble and down the modification rabbit hole.

So off to look at F 150s, Rams and Chevys. Well, nit the Chevys. Not enough towing for the price compared to Ram and Ford.