• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gladiator

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Nice Gladiator! The reason you do not have the red dash is because you have tan seats. That is one of the few ways to eliminate the red dash. I initially thought I did not want a red dash, but am now glad that is what I have. It adds a splash of color that my girlfriend really likes. I decided to embrace it and add red visor covers. With your exterior color, I don't think the red dash would be a good thing.

And btw, the grill is the same on all Gladiators. Grill slots are wider than on the JL for enhanced cooling for towing purposes. The Max Tow package is not available on Rubicons. The "Trailer-Tow Package" is a different animal.

I've had mine since last August (after waiting 103 days for the order) and will hit the 9000-mile mark within the next week. Mine took so long to get because there was initially a shortage of steel bumpers. I still get people asking about it nearly every day I'm out with it. And I still love it about as much as I did my Scrambler...especially since it is so much easier to go topless. The Freedom Panels are easy enough to remove, but my favorite mod so far has been the Bestop Sunrider.

Good to know about the red dash. Your right, the red dash would probably not look good with the blue exterior :thumbsup:

Wasn't sure on the grill thing, good to know. Mine has the "tow package", I think it is rated to tow right around 7,000 pounds, so a a couple hundred less than the "Max Tow". I wasn't looking for a Rubicon, I was looking at models with "Max Tow". But, all the Gladiators around here that had the "Max Tow" option also had so many other options that they were just a couple thousand less then a Rubicon. Anyway, glad i got the Rubicon, it was a no brainer :christmas:

How hard is it to take off the back part of the hard top, I have not messed with mine yet?

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
The back part of the hardtop should not be that hard to remove...just bulky. I will never have back seat drivers since I have no back seat...so I will not have any reason to remove the rear portion of the hardtop. If I remember right, there are just some bolts around the bottom (similar to the Scrambler) and a couple near the front of that section. One of the things I loved about the Scrambler is that one person could easily remove the hardtop...and it fit perfectly in the bed. Sadly, in the 20-year interim between the time I sold it and then bought it back, the top had gained weight and was no longer easy to remove.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
For what it's worth, I think it's sexy as hell. I went down to order one when they first came out but that's when I discovered that I'm too tall to fit in the driver's seat; my head hits the roll bar. I was very sad when I discovered this. I can't understand what fiat has against tall people.

Worked out well though. I bought the new 3 litre Duramax Silverado instead and it's been the best truck I've ever owned... thus far.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
For what it's worth, I think it's sexy as hell. I went down to order one when they first came out but that's when I discovered that I'm too tall to fit in the driver's seat; my head hits the roll bar. I was very sad when I discovered this. I can't understand what fiat has against tall people.

Worked out well though. I bought the new 3 litre Duramax Silverado instead and it's been the best truck I've ever owned... thus far.

Yep, BigWalton warned me about the "tall people issue". Luckily for me, I'm only 5'-11" so I fit fine. I still keep the seat lowered all the way, though.

In the Gladiator's defense, I have hit my head more often on my Red Scrambler's Rock Hard In Cab Cage, the bar that runs over the door opening, but only when getting in and out. On the Gladiator, this bar is about the same/equal hindrance. But, once inside my Scrambler, with stock OEM seats, I do sit "lower in the vehicle with regards to the roll cage/windshield field of vision". The Gladiator is like a Scrambler with too thick seat bottom aftermarket seats - you sit too high inside the cab :twocents:

Biggest issue with the Gladiator if your tall, IMO: when sitting in the driver seat you will be too tall, head over the roll cage, looking out the top 2" of windshield :(:crazy: Even at my height, the sun visors are almost useless as they block my field of vision out of the windshield.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I'm 6'6" and I've made my Scrambler very comfortable (though I can't drive with the bulkhead in one). I put YJ spreader bars in from the roll bar to the windshield and i do have to duck a bit getting in, but no issues once I'm in.

I just wasn't willing to alter a new rig to fit in it; no matter how damned sexy it is.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I was scrolling through eBay looking at Scrambler’s, and this popped up. Certainly is not my cup of tea. But i Thought I would share.

Attachments

• 3CE5BF15-7EEF-4976-B898-DDD65A59810C.png
    3CE5BF15-7EEF-4976-B898-DDD65A59810C.png
    532.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 6CE3B303-D9ED-46A4-AEC0-2E1F43489AD3.png
    6CE3B303-D9ED-46A4-AEC0-2E1F43489AD3.png
    497.3 KB · Views: 50

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I hit 15k miles on mine last week In 11 months. Still loving it as my daily driver

Reactions: SKT

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Its got a barn wood feel... faded barn red in the background might be neat to see as well.

cb

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I saw my first OVERLY jacked up Gladiator on my way home from a meeting yesterday. It looked absolutely ridiculous. I have seen some that have a nice lift and bigger tires to fill out the fender wells, but this one had at least 6 inches of lift and 38"-40" tires. It doesn't sound so bad, but it also had some aftermarket wheels that shoved almost the entire tire outside of the wheel wells. The damn thing looked 12' wide.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
We were just at the coast, and saw 2 different Galdiators at the dunes. One had the 6” lift and 40” tires- it was proportional and looked awesome. The other one was a bit smaller with 37” and it looked great too. Didn’t get pics of either...

But I did get pics of a couple of nice LS powered Jeeps. The black one had a 6.0 with 505 hp and the black and red had a 6.2 that screamed!0019AB24-2581-42E6-8DDB-765E0DE491E9.jpegC83F352C-288F-42F5-A4B8-971B22BA1ED4.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
That is insane! 6.2 in a 5!

I’m not sure I have the guts to drive that combo.

Is the output of the transfer case bolted directly to the rear axle?

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI

Maybe 2wd. I hope the cage is well made. I too would be a little apprehensive about piloting those.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR

They both had about 12” rear shafts. Running D20 transfer cases, D60 rear axles and D30 fronts. T10 4 speed in the black one, don’t remember the other. Dune running is a lot different than anything else. I questioned the 30 front. Reply was 95% of the power went to the rear, the front was mostly unloaded and used for steering primarily. Think constant wheelie under power.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Also, very little resistance in sand, so less risk of breakage.

Impact loads are what breaks parts most often.