• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Half cab hard top can be made from YJ hard top???

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That looks amazing. Broken YJ tops come up every once in a while here. I already have a Scrambler top but it has the typical slight sag on the top panels. If I can’t get that resolved to my liking, I just might copy your build!

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
That looks amazing. Broken YJ tops come up every once in a while here. I already have a Scrambler top but it has the typical slight sag on the top panels. If I can’t get that resolved to my liking, I just might copy your build!
I would be honored if this personal project served others. Therefore, and if necessary, I have many more photos of the process available to those who need them, tips and more. Just ask for them and I will gladly send them to you. Also, I will share my experience if it could help to somebody. We have a (Spanish, of course) forum of Classic Jeep Willys, where I posted the process too. If some want to see, click here:

And Merry Xmas for everybody.....

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I would be honored if this personal project served others. Therefore, and if necessary, I have many more photos of the process available to those who need them, tips and more. Just ask for them and I will gladly send them to you. Also, I will share my experience if it could help to somebody. We have a (Spanish, of course) forum of Classic Jeep Willys, where I posted the process too. If some want to see, click here:

And Merry Xmas for everybody.....
Merry Christmas!

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hello guys... hoping everyone had a nice new year..
I has doing some work, restoring the rear window (replacing old rubber channel, painting, cleaning, etc), and today I definitely installed it, sealed, glued (with a very good window sealer) and bolted too.
Also, I maked a group of templates in cardboard to fabricate my bulkhead, because meassures in 2D are not the same in 3D, mostly when there are a couple of angles here and there...
At this moment, all meassures are checked and tested, next step is to sent it to my fabricator, who will make all 3 sheets.
Sorry, but I can't attach more than one file x post....

Attachments

• 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 37

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This is fantastic! I missed all of this until tonight... WOW! Amazing work!!! :cheers:

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hello again:
OK, today I installed both side pieces of my bulkhead proyect. I had to adjust here and there, and now have to re-desdign the center piece. Because folds require material and cause changes in dimensions, we had to change the meassurements of the center piece a bit. It was easier to modify the part with the fewest folds once the other two were pre-assembled.

bulkhead8.jpg

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hello guys:

OK, at last I installed my bulkhead. Yesterday I bolt it on place, sealed (with a very good non-acid body sealer) and primed first with marine type rust prevent, then with a black protective spray paint. I will paint it definitely with RAPTOR finish, just like I do on the top, at the moment when the Jeep will be painted too.
At this moment I need to fix the center piece with a good-looking bolt patern, because at the first time I had the (crazy!) idea to make a door with this part. But then I was thinking that this would compromise the soundness of the structure without gaining any real advantage. I did make all pieces of steel of 1,5 milimeters thickness to obtain more strenght without the stock stamped grooves.

bulkhead10.jpg.

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
At the inside still have the marine paint (It will be finished in RAPTOR too), and the two hinges that I welded at the bottom. Between the upper side of bulkhead and under the top, I put an adhesive neoprene tape, to seal it and avoid skeaks by movement. I used all the stock holes to hold it, adding a couple more in some places. I used a cinc plated screws with steel and rubber washer too.
I noticed that the top edge is a bit weak, then I will use a steel tube, rectangular section, to reinforce it : I'll screw it all together, leaving the sheet metal edge between the tube and the top.
Next -and final- step: seat belts....
bulkhead int.jpg

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
That's great work! I actually think an access door is a good idea. If you're worried about the structure, you could add a frame around it, but I don't think it will be a problem if you add the square tube reinforcement across the top.

The '53 Willys looks like fun. Maybe you could start a build thread about that one, too! :thumbsup:

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
OK, I finished the M38A1 and return to work at my Jeep... Today I was positioning the tool box that I want to put at the rear, because at the interior there is not room enough to let baggage in case of traveling...
I found this aluminum box at one friend's garage and now I'm reinforcing it, with a (aluminum too) sheet at the top, adding a rubber floor inside. Will fix it at the floor, with some kind of spacers between the box and Jeep's floor (to avoid accumulation of moisture )....de312f77-ef42-4eaa-a201-a7e3da06dea7.jpg