• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

I broke down.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
I finally broke down and joined the modern age of welding and bought a mig! I'm still better with a stick welder but i'm starting to get better with it. I bought a lincoln pro 180 mig and i will say it's a great little welder and welds much better than i do lol. I got my welding cart all set up, have it set up with CO2/Argon mix and .035 wire. I'm building a 4x8 tilt trailer. spring over so i can use it off road, will have 36 inch sides with a drop down tailgate, it will tilt enough to dump when i get done with it. I'm building running boards so it will have steps on the side, a place for a spare and 3 tool boxes on the sides for storage. Yes Eric i will get some pics and post them next time i'm out working on it:bow:

kryptoniteCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
Tx
I bought the exact same welder (ProMig 180HD) in November and have yet to use it. I need to get a bottle for it. What's the thickest material you have welded with it?

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
welder

I've done everything from sheet metal to 3/16 with it today, book says it will do up to 1/2 inch with flux core wire and no gas, most everything i will weld with it will be under 3/16 so i will leave it set up for gas and and use my stick for the heavy welding, i got a small bottle about 3ft tall of CO2/Argon mix i just bought the bottle, it was around $175.00 with tax and they will exchange it for $35.00. i have a buddy that welds for a living and he has the big bottle and says it will last close to a year so i figure the small bottle will last me for at least a year.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Oh, that kinda breaking down...

I bought a Millermatic 210 MIG about 10 years ago...stick welded back in college but wow what a difference. one of the best investments I ever made.

Glad to hear your Scrambler didnt break down! ;)

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
I bought a Millermatic 210 MIG about 10 years ago...stick welded back in college but wow what a difference. one of the best investments I ever made.

Glad to hear your Scrambler didnt break down! ;)

Buddy used the miller 210 for years and it finally quit on him they gave him a great deal on trade in and he ugraded to the next heavier welder, it has all the bells and whistles and auto set with auto weld he loves it, i looked at alot of welders and read for a month before i bought one, would loved to went with miller but was out of my price range, the lincoln is small enough it don't take up a ton of room and it can load it in the truck and take it with me if i need to. What little iv'e used it im prettu happy with it.:D

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I don't care what you say, you're getting this anyway

:needpic:

Love my Lincoln, I need to get a bigger line run to the garage though to quit popping the breaker.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
I don't care what you say, you're getting this anyway

:needpic:

Love my Lincoln, I need to get a bigger line run to the garage though to quit popping the breaker.

I'd been disapointed if you hadn't given me the no pic signs lol. I need to run power out to my building im running off an 80ft extension cord right now, it's number 4 triplex so not much amperage drop it ran my stick when it was 120 ft long unfortunly it jumped in front of my 6ft finish mower so now it's only 80ft long instead lol biggest thing right now with the welder is trying to get my speed down, i'm still trying differant techniques, differant heat settings, differant line speeds, pushing makes for a prettier weld but is ackward for me since i've been a stick guy for 40 years and hard to change over from a pull to a push technique. I just need alot of practice and should get alot of it in the next month working on this trailer. lol

Last edited:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
U asked...now this thread has a pic...so mulescj8, you have more time to post yours ;)

Actually took me too long to find a pic with the miller in it...here I was repairing a few soft spots in the bed of the FC-170.

IMG_3720 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
here ya go

Here are a few pics of the trailer:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
welder

here is the welder
attachment.php

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
update

Here is an up date on the progress on the trailer got all the struture done and primered, just have few things like the tailgate and spare tire mount to do then i can start on the floor and sides.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Nice Trailer JC. Very practical....
thanks for the pics :D

z :ZZZ:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
That almost looks like you know what you're doing....:thumbsup:

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
Lol

Thanks guys! It's going to be a very useful trailer, 4x8 with 25" sides, enough ground clearence to keep from dragging it on everything. I'm going to use Trex composite decking in the floor and the sides so it should out last me. Im trying to decide what to do on the tool/storage boxes on wheter to build them or buy premade boxes would rather build them but for time i may just buy a couple and bolt them on. Bad thing about boxes it takes as much labor to build a small box as it does a large one, they are so time consuming to get them square and water tight.

Last edited:

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
State
Tn
Ok guys thought i'd do an update on the trailer. Still have a few little small tweaks to do on it but it's pretty much finished for now.trailer-3 003.JPGtrailer-3 007.JPGtrailer-3 005.JPG