bayoubeast
Basic User
- City
- Rayville
- State
- La
Hey guys, I just wanted to make my introduction official! I am from northeast Louisiana and have just purchased my first CJ8. Friday I picked up a 1982 Scrambler from a local guy that I have harassed about it for about 6 months now. Basically the first time I talked to him about it the Jeep wasn't for sell. He and I work in related fields so we talk relatively often on the phone and in person, so I had many opportunities to poke at him about it. When I didn't even have money I would ask about his Scrambler, and he continued that it wasn't for sell. Well, on December 30th I asked him about it when I called him on business and he told me that he wasn't really interested in selling it at the time. Within the next two hours he seemed to have changed his mind. I received a return call around mid day and he told me he would be interested in making a deal on it due to some circumstances that come with life. I was ecstatic, but tried my best not to show it on the phone. After all, I have only seen this CJ8 one time months ago- and after finding out it wasn't something he had any interest getting rid of I didn't really do a thorough inspection. Now though? Now things have changed, the climate of his situation have changed and now there is more than just interest- it was a real possibility that I could own this Jeep! I got off work at 5:00 pm and proceeded to drive to his location, and once arriving it didn't take me long to find the prize! I had brought my dad in tow so he could help to evaluate the situation, after making a once over of the Scrambler we felt pretty good about what we were seeing.
1982 Jeep Scrambler
51k original miles
258 engine
4 speed manual transmission
Good running and driving condition. However, the fuel gauge is inop, the carb has been swapped out, the tires are 31" Remington Mud Brutes, blue paint, the wooden bed rails, everything was 100% solid. Again, trying to mask our excitement we left without being able to make contact with the owner, because he was unavailable at the time we were there. The next morning I called him and asked him when I could come and get the deal done. Unfortunately, he would be unavailable until Friday the 2nd! I made plans to be available that day, and patiently waited as the clock ticked away. I woke up early on Friday, unfortunately I ended up having to stop into my shop and work on a project for around an hour and a half to get it finished up before I left to go and pick up our newest addition. When I arrived I was delighted to find out that there were extra parts that came with it! Albeit, they were small parts- but OEM uncut keys, blinker lenses and bezels were all just an added bonus. Money exchanged hands and I was off to climb into my brand new... Or brand used Jeep Scrambler. Although I only had 20-30 miles to go home I still was still a little uneasy about driving this vehicle that I have no knowledge of home... Without my cell phone that I had conveniently left at my shop before the trip! I was out of options at this point though. My girlfriend had ridden along to drive back my Rubicon after the purchase, so that would have to do for a back up plan. So we crank the Scrambler up for the first time, much to my surprise it was purring like a kitten. After stopping for lunch we drove home without incident and luckily after giving a thorough inspection once back at my shop I felt at ease seeing there wasn't much work to be done to her. A little paint, a few little mechanical repairs, and a bit of general TLC and it will be ready for daily use.
I have to figure out what is going on with the fuel gauge, I also found the speedometer to be very... Erratic? It bounces around a good bit to such an effect that I have no indication of if I am going 25 or 75 mph while driving if I were to be focusing on the gauge. I believe this is more than likely going to be a cluster issue? The steering box does have a pretty good leak, so I will have to address it in the near future. I have a few cosmetic items to take care of also, but those are generally easy for me to accomplish.
I am still stoked to own this thing! I have been eyeballing them since I have seen my first one and now I actually own one! I ended up selling my Chevelle a few weeks ago, so I suppose it was the key to funding this as well as a few other projects that I have going currently. I hated to see the Chevelle go, but it is what has made all of this possible! BTW, if any of you guys from around Louisiana want to meet up some time, I am always up for meeting like-minded people!
1982 Jeep Scrambler
51k original miles
258 engine
4 speed manual transmission
Good running and driving condition. However, the fuel gauge is inop, the carb has been swapped out, the tires are 31" Remington Mud Brutes, blue paint, the wooden bed rails, everything was 100% solid. Again, trying to mask our excitement we left without being able to make contact with the owner, because he was unavailable at the time we were there. The next morning I called him and asked him when I could come and get the deal done. Unfortunately, he would be unavailable until Friday the 2nd! I made plans to be available that day, and patiently waited as the clock ticked away. I woke up early on Friday, unfortunately I ended up having to stop into my shop and work on a project for around an hour and a half to get it finished up before I left to go and pick up our newest addition. When I arrived I was delighted to find out that there were extra parts that came with it! Albeit, they were small parts- but OEM uncut keys, blinker lenses and bezels were all just an added bonus. Money exchanged hands and I was off to climb into my brand new... Or brand used Jeep Scrambler. Although I only had 20-30 miles to go home I still was still a little uneasy about driving this vehicle that I have no knowledge of home... Without my cell phone that I had conveniently left at my shop before the trip! I was out of options at this point though. My girlfriend had ridden along to drive back my Rubicon after the purchase, so that would have to do for a back up plan. So we crank the Scrambler up for the first time, much to my surprise it was purring like a kitten. After stopping for lunch we drove home without incident and luckily after giving a thorough inspection once back at my shop I felt at ease seeing there wasn't much work to be done to her. A little paint, a few little mechanical repairs, and a bit of general TLC and it will be ready for daily use.
I have to figure out what is going on with the fuel gauge, I also found the speedometer to be very... Erratic? It bounces around a good bit to such an effect that I have no indication of if I am going 25 or 75 mph while driving if I were to be focusing on the gauge. I believe this is more than likely going to be a cluster issue? The steering box does have a pretty good leak, so I will have to address it in the near future. I have a few cosmetic items to take care of also, but those are generally easy for me to accomplish.
I am still stoked to own this thing! I have been eyeballing them since I have seen my first one and now I actually own one! I ended up selling my Chevelle a few weeks ago, so I suppose it was the key to funding this as well as a few other projects that I have going currently. I hated to see the Chevelle go, but it is what has made all of this possible! BTW, if any of you guys from around Louisiana want to meet up some time, I am always up for meeting like-minded people!


