• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Looking for help getting a CJ7 from Converse, TX to Erie, PA

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Update - owner had no luck finding out info from friends and the garage that did some work on the Jeep is now out of business. She did clarify the "indicator light" she mentioned earlier was actually the turn signal!

Kyle - member of this board - is going to check out the Jeep in person for me on Saturday. Thanks again for the offer!

I'm still holding out hope that it's an easy fix so my son(s) and I can fly it and drive it home. Here's a few teaser pics:
25857.jpeg25851.jpeg25950.jpeg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Update - owner had no luck finding out info from friends and the garage that did some work on the Jeep is now out of business. She did clarify the "indicator light" she mentioned earlier was actually the turn signal!

Kyle - member of this board - is going to check out the Jeep in person for me on Saturday. Thanks again for the offer!

I'm still holding out hope that it's an easy fix so my son(s) and I can fly it and drive it home. Here's a few teaser pics:
View attachment 64187View attachment 64188View attachment 64189
Nice looking jeep ! Kinda looks like a 4 cylinder with a Webber :unsure:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Nice looking Jeep. Quite possible the gentleman that was working on the turn signal indicator forgot to turn the key off when he became flustered.
Good luck with the t4ip getting it home. The Scrambler family on here are located all over and most are willing to help out in any way we can. :wave:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Bring a shifter knob if you plan on driving it. Good luck if it works our that you be driving it.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Update - Kyle checked out the Jeep for me this past weekend. He put a new battery in but still wasn't able to get it to start, although it would crank. Could be bad gas/fuel pump/ignition issue. He also put the soft top on so it's ready to be transported. Thanks again Kyle for your time and efforts!

A fellow Jeeper gave me a lead on local to me company (about 2.5 hours away) that could help with transporting the Jeep. This company builds tear drop and truck bed campers. They deliver them all over the country and often look for loads to bring back with them to offset some of their delivery costs. They just so happen to be going to TX in the next few weeks and can bring my Jeep back with them. They have no problem handling non-running Jeeps.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Update - need to find another transport company!!!!!! I waited patiently until the camper company I found had a load going to TX. I called last Friday to firm up the pick up date. They called me back and told me their driver that was headed to New Mexico first just walked off the job - he literally got out of the truck and left it on the side of the road! After talking to some other people I guess this kind of thing is not uncommon in the trucking industry. Sucks for me but sucks even more for the camper company.

I'm off work tomorrow and will call around again . . .

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
The road trip gods are speaking to you, my friend...! 8-)

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
SoCal
State
CA
I've used Summit Auto transport to transport my jeep from TX to California and I was happy with them. I found them through some car forums, they had a good reputation from a lot of other people who have used them in the past. I think the person I talked to was Aaron, I don't know if he's the owner or what, but he was very responsive to my e-mails. They setup a pickup time and delivery time, they were on schedule, and everything went as planned. This was a few years ago, but if nothing has changed I would highly recommend them.

I also put up a feeler on U-ship to get some competing bids, Summit wasn't the absolute lowest, but they were definitely near the lower end and I felt like it was a fair price.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Oh man, this gets all my fly-n-drive juices flowing! Curious what specifically was checked/tried when Kyle went to see it?

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I spent several hours trying to get it started. Gas is old- sat for years. Tank needs to be cleaned out- smells like varnish. Tires were over 14 years old and in need of being replaced. Battery was bad- now replaced. Added some fluids- but in the end never got it to fire- had spark and fuel was flowing

I would not risk it. 100 degree days in an untested vehicle for well over a 1000 miles is more risk than I would take. I have flown and drive with many vehicles- but this one has been sitting for a long time.

If you decide to try it- I could get the Jeep to a mechanic I use to take care of the tank and other issues that are unknown right now. I can do minor repairs- but I would think the smart money is on getting a shipper to move it.

I use longhorn transport in San Antonio and have been please with the pricing and service. He is just a broker though- does not run his own trucks.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Ed from Longhorn is working on it right now!

Kyle tried his best and I trust his judgement. Broken down on the side of the road in TX in July sounds miserable!

Hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks . . .

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Update: still waiting for the local broker to arrange shipping.

In the meantime, I found someone in Hallsville, TX (east TX close to Louisiana) that can bring it to me but he doesn't want to go get it in Converse, TX. He hauls rust free pick-up beds to his brother in PA about once a month and could bring the Jeep with him on his next trip.

The one thing I'm learning is TEXAS is a BIG state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have ideas on how to get the Jeep from Converse to Hallsville?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
You might have to hire someone with a pickup and trailer. That's almost out in west Texas. Takes a long day to drive across Texas. And real hot right now.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Good news - Jeep is on the way. Found someone to get it from Converse to Hallsville. It should go from Hallsville to my place sometime next week!