Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Don't have that grille/headlight combo sitting around by chance do you? :D
dont CJ headlight buckets fit in the original mounting holes on later square headlight models? I think I saw it somewhere. But I could be wrong...

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
dont CJ headlight buckets fit in the original mounting holes on later square headlight models? I think I saw it somewhere. But I could be wrong...
You are correct. The liner panel behind the grille was never changed during the 28 year run. Easy swap to the Gladiator look, if you can find the parts. They were all the rage a couple years ago.

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
I like the Razor too. I think I have a spare in the garage if you think yours is too banged up by that appendage. It's not perfect either, though.

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Oh, and being that you missed out on the Secret Santa despite all your hard work, I have a special present just for you, apropos to this thread. PM me your address, please. It's very small, fits in an envelope with a stamp or two, and is very handsom.

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Getting a new project is so much fun. Congratulations! My scrambler has been a daily driver almost all the time I have been "restoring" it. I know you say this wont be a restoration.. But we'll just see how that works out for you. :D

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Found out the Mean Green starter I had on my 258 in the Postal will work on the 360 :woot:

First mod right there (along with new battery cables and one of the starter solenoids sitting on my shelf).

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
My Cherk was an 83 (last year of them) but it had horrible cancer. I had searched for about 8 months to finrd the Glad grille, pie plates, and headlight stuff. I think its still in the connex in Colorado (I had a buddy part the Jeep for me while I was downrange) but I'm not sure...and not sure I'd want to get rid of it. lol! The razor/bacon idea is pretty good though! ;)
As for fitting the round headlights...its not quite a bolt on deal despite what folks say. Mine was a lot more work to do than I would have thought. The basic shape is still there in the header panel but the hole was to small to allow the bucket to seat. Plus some of the tabs and screw holes didn't line up. I think the round ones look much better and is worth the effort... but it was work. :)

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ok folks, if you were doing a REASONABLE swap to something to get better mileage while still being able to tow (i.e. not a 401) what would it be?

Today Kate and I were talking about it and she asked about swapping in a diesel :D Damn I love that woman!

I'm off to scour the interwebs.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Ok folks, if you were doing a REASONABLE swap to something to get better mileage while still being able to tow (i.e. not a 401) what would it be?

Today Kate and I were talking about it and she asked about swapping in a diesel :D Damn I love that woman!

I'm off to scour the interwebs.
First... You should marry Kate AGAIN! Just to make sure its all legal an binding!!! hahaha!
Then You'll want to look for a 4BT. I think dollars to doughnuts and being a big fan of all sorts (even the odd balls) of diesels, you're likely to be best rewarded by splurging on a 4bt. A 6BT will fit but is a lot of squeezing and really almost too much motor. The B3.3 could probably work but may be a little slow. Coolest thing would be to find some way to order a brand new, current generation VM 3.0 that will be going into the next Jeeps. It's pretty compact and makes good torque plus is a "modern" diesel. Expensive and I have no idea about the wiring requirements but it would be sweet!
If you could find one and don't want to go with a 4bt... Search hard for one of the 5cyl MB diesels out of a sprinter van. They are amazing! Some of the TMP (Gov use civy vehicles) vans here in Germany use them and guys have to be careful not to get speeding tickets! ;)

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
I wonder what is in all those Hostess bread trucks, now sitting idle. Might be able to pick one of those up cheap, although recent maintenance might be spotty.