Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Pull the AC but rebuild and keep the stock heater. I wish I'd gone bigger on my aftermarket unit, it takes a while to get the '8 warm, esp at 2* with the soft top...and I still haven't charged the A/C. The factory Waggy heater works pretty well, and I believe it's completely independent from the A/C system.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ok ok, but I didn't say the carpet was coming out. It looks decent and could be good with a solid cleaning.

In my defense, I don't see where spray on liner on the roof could hurt if we ended up wanting to put the headliner back in. Just more insulation.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Ok ok, but I didn't say the carpet was coming out. It looks decent and could be good with a solid cleaning.

In my defense, I don't see where spray on liner on the roof could hurt if we ended up wanting to put the headliner back in. Just more insulation.
Ok, I'll lay off. You have a point there.

Just don't loose that link...:evil:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Hey Eric. Instead of Bed Lining for the roof under the headliner. Look at Lizard Skin, or making your own via recipe on HAMB. It uses a latex paint that will be fine on the inside, it adds mass for sound absorbing qualities, and they use these micro spheres for insulation value. Kind of does several things at once. Easy to spray in too.

Then you can do another headliner over it later.

Carl

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I'd suggest you wander to IFSJA and see if you can scare up a pic of a Waggy without its headliner. That way you'll see what your dealing with and why it will look pretty hack without it. Esp. around the edges and where you have to attach the sun visors and stuff. Trust me, I've had 3 waggys and only one that had a headliner still in it. The others where nasty so I yanked them and could never find something I liked to replace it. And to cheap to by and actual head liner....lol! There is an amazing difference between with and without too. Carpet, same thing.

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Been watching this thread with a smile BW as you know I am a FSJ guy at heart. Was even tempted to jump into the diesel vs. gas discussion but controled myself. I have about every type of engine out there except a 4 cylinder and am slowly switching over to diesels for a completely different reason. Mine sit more than I would like and the gas goes bad. Smurf (my 79 Chief) is great example, TH400 sent bad and I was working on other project so it sat too long and gas is bad. It has duel tanks and will be a major PIA to address once the transmission is fixed. My M715 is a military 6.2 with NV4500 andI love it! My daughter drove a M1009 in high school and Dodge Ram 250 with 12 valve first two years of college. I LIKE the older, all mechanical diesels because they are non computer and easier to work on.

Last edited:

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Not about to jump into that mess. You can also try Zack Heisey in Toledo. Z&M Jeeps. He also organizes a meet-n-greet twice a year for FSJs. We met at his shop/warehouse a couple years ago and caravanned to Tony Packo's at 5/3 Field for lunch. Probably a dozen of us. He has a Jeep boneyard behind his place, too. He bought out Jeep Acres awhile ago and has lots of NOS parts. Great guy. Once you get 'Mater up and running, you will have to make a trip down to Toledo.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Made it! Took a neighbor to help push the beast in with the wet driveway.

Part of the worry with using AAA was where the Jeep was sitting. Next to their barn in a sort of awkward spot to back to from the driveway.

Luckily it was possible to back up to it from a lot next to theirs after driving through the back of the fire station. The snow had me worried with just the JK, but after backing up a bit and using 4LO, it came out fine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497472.651541.jpg

All set for the slow roll home.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497511.333391.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497535.014339.jpg

There was no one on the roads this morning, so the timing was perfect since I stayed under 25.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497544.645530.jpg

Took a lot of pushing and slipping on the wet asphalt, but he's in!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497584.488330.jpg

First things first, had to get Mr Dancin Bacon in!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497561.748568.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497571.696369.jpg

And immediately grabbed some polish and a rag to see what might be possible!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357497592.294262.jpg

:woot:

Sent from my iPad HD

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It does look MUCH better there. :wave:

Now, Ravens or Mater?
Ravens. TV isn't big enough in the garage. :D

Other problem is that I have a basketball game right after the Ravens. :angry:

Sent from my iPad HD

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I can't wait to see it after you spend a few days riding a buffer all over it!
And the dancing bacon is a hoot! Nice touch! :)

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Nice, welcome home Mater ! Can I see how the tow bar attached ?

And bonus - factory FSJ 2" receiver hitch.

Let the fun begin ! :bacon:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Nice, welcome home Mater ! Can I see how the tow bar attached ?

And bonus - factory FSJ 2" receiver hitch.

Let the fun begin ! :bacon:
I'll take some pics tomorrow of the bar setup. I'd be in the garage with it now but I messed up my lower leg at basketball and needed to ice it.

I thought the hitch was aftermarket until I looked in the Jeep towing booklet you gave me :thumbs up:

And the fun is DEFINITELY beginning!

Sent from my iPad HD

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Here's the tow bar attachment. :eek: Picks up a bumper bracket bolt hole. I took solace in the fact that this had been used before this way and I was going to go so slowly and easily.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357582423.672025.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357582438.380786.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357582460.512545.jpg

Looked through some of the boxes in he back seat at lunch. Found a new valve cover gasket set and oil pan gasket set along with a new water pump gasket and front main seal from a timing cover set. Drooled on the nice, shiny Mallory dizzy too.

Then I found where he kept the munched dizzy/cam gears. Yeehaa! Is this the typical result of the oiling issue everyone talks about? The one cam gear is basically GONE on the one side.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357582696.237096.jpg